Table service or nice counter service place for lunch near MK

marshallandcartersmo

DIS Veteran
Our DS's are older this trip (14 & 11), & we're going to try to stay in MK from open to close on our last vacation day (only live once!) hours are 9-12am that day in late June. We'd like to find a place we can have a sit down lunch to take a break and recharge. Hoping to make our FP selections for early afternoon and tour like normal in the morning.

Where would you recommend to go for lunch & recharging? We'll be using Disney transporation, so ease of getting there is essential. Already tried for Chef Mickey, CRT, and Be Our Guest reservations...all full. Crystal Palace is available but we ate there last trip & weren't impressed.

Or should we just stay in MK?? We've NEVER left mid day for a break before, we have always plowed through the day & crashed at night ;)

you could take the monorail up to the Polynesian and try out Ohana...we loved it and going again in a few weeks...oops...should of read the meal deal..LUNCH...sorry..

Last edited:
Any of the QS on the monorail are good choices. You can cool down, look around the resort, and eat. Another option is The Wave at CR. We have only ever done breakfast there (which is our fave!), but the menu for lunch looks great too.

I think trying something new at one of the monorail resorts for LUNCH would be a great break! The monorail itself will be a cool, relaxing way to put your feet up. You could also take the boat over to Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge. This just gives you a breather from the hustle and heat of the park.

Liberty Tree Tavern if it's open (I forget when renovations are happening). Ohana for a late breakfast or dinner (they don't do lunch).

For nice relaxing counter service in MK, try Columbia Harbour House & sit upstairs by a window. Very relaxing, and the pot pie is delicious!

It may be too hot/humid for walking around resorts, but I still like the idea of doing GF Cafe or Kona and exploring the GF or Poly. You could also do Contempo Cafe CS at Contemporary and just enjoy the monorail ride there. Or boat ride to WL for any of their food.

The Wave at CR is our favorite "take a break from MK" lunch place. You can walk over (or take the monorail) and it's usually very quiet over there. GF Cafe and Kona are also good, I just prefer the chill atmosphere of The Wave. Plus the food is very good.

For a relaxing TS lunch OUTSIDE MK, our go to places are The Wave, Grand Floridian Café, Kona Café or Whispering Canyon Café (we always indicate we're not into the antics here).

Here's what I usually order:

The Wave:
either the seasonal soup or the lump crab shrimp cakes
the classic Reuben

Grand Floridian Café:
either the seasonal soup or the shrimp cocktail
NY Strip rare

Kona Café:
sweet potato and chorizo soup
Teriyaki steak Plate Lunch

Whispering Canyon Café:
pork spring rolls
either the pork ribs or the tuna melt on sourdough

Last edited:
Our DS's are older this trip (14 & 11), & we're going to try to stay in MK from open to close on our last vacation day (only live once!) hours are 9-12am that day in late June. We'd like to find a place we can have a sit down lunch to take a break and recharge. Hoping to make our FP selections for early afternoon and tour like normal in the morning.

Where would you recommend to go for lunch & recharging? We'll be using Disney transporation, so ease of getting there is essential. Already tried for Chef Mickey, CRT, and Be Our Guest reservations...all full. Crystal Palace is available but we ate there last trip & weren't impressed.

Or should we just stay in MK?? We've NEVER left mid day for a break before, we have always plowed through the day & crashed at night ;)
Resort lunch options can be limited.

Staying near Magic Kingdom:
--Ohana is not open for lunch, but Kona would be available.
--Grand Floridian Cafe is also OK for lunch. Grand Floridian has most amount of shops for 'strolling'.
--Wave would be my last choice for lunch on Monorail.
--Whispering Canyon is short boat ride from Magic Kingdom. Bring a sense of humor.

You could (ad)venture to another Resort area:
--Sanaa is a family favorite. Animals on the Savannah during daylight dinner and lunch.
--ESPN or Beaches & Cream in Boardwalk vicinity.
--Downtown Disney.

Did you check to see if the Plaza is available? It's a nice, casual sit down in MK. Another option is the QS at the Contemporary - Contempo Cafe. Lots of good choices and you don't need an ADR. The mahi sandwich is excellent and they have a nice variety of sandwiches and other more substantial meal items.

Last edited:
We very much enjoy The Plaza if you want to truly stay in MK all day. It's nice and cool, food is pretty scrumptious, they have ice cream and they usually aren't too busy so it's usually pretty easy to snag an ADR. It's also not too expensive.

Another vote for the Wave. Or if you'd prefer QS, the Contempo Cafe. The CR is just fun to visit, and you have options on walking or monorail. It's a nice way to break up the long MK day, cool off, take in great views, and then be ready for more MK.

Got a few ideas:tilt:
The Wave is really good for a late breakfast, Kona for late breakfast or lunch, or Grand Fl. Cafe for lunch. Liberty Tree Tavern or The Plaza for lunch if you want to stay in MK

--Whispering Canyon is short boat ride from Magic Kingdom. Bring a sense of humor.

Second vote for this, very fun and I wouldn't even call it leaving the MK.

As for the shops someone mentioned in the GF, I doubt your sons would be interested.

Second vote for this, very fun and I wouldn't even call it leaving the MK.

As for the shops someone mentioned in the GF, I doubt your sons would be interested.
Well, I guess I was one-for-two....

I mentioned the shops in Grand Floridian too....sometimes, it's about the parents, and children have to learn how to cope by behaving in public.

It would not hurt little Jane or Johnny to walk into a bath salt- or handbag-shop for a few minutes or sit at Mizner's while adults do some adult things.

All resorts have some shops and toy stores to explore.

Grand Floridian has a bigger selection of shops than any other resort, but is more likely to have live entertainment, and a memorable, over-sized, seasonal display in their lobby.

In other words, in my opinion, GF offers more opportunity to 'kill time' in an attempt to decompress before heading back into Magic Kingdom.

If it's about convenience, nothing is better than walking to & from Contemporary.

Animal Kingdom Lodge & Boardwalk areas were seemingly not part of the equation, but offer many distractions from the Parks.

If it's about distractions, no resort near MK has more distractions than GF.....but Whispering Canyon is fun for many people too.....

Well, I guess I was one-for-two....

I mentioned the shops in Grand Floridian too....sometimes, it's about the parents, and children have to learn how to cope by behaving in public.

If it's about distractions, no resort near MK has more distractions than GF.....but Whispering Canyon is fun for many people too.....

Last time, well only time, I was at the GF I felt like I was visiting my Grandmother's house and I was worried about messing up the Doilies. I kept thinking I was going to have to keep telling my sons to "Don't touch that!" and they are 24 and 23. :)

Just think WL and especially WCC would have more appeal to the OP's sons.

you could take the monorail up to the Polynesian and try out Ohana...we loved it and going again in a few weeks...
Note that the OP is looking for lunch. 'Ohana doesn't serve lunch, but Kona is a great alternative.

oops...well they could take a chance and eat a small lunch and then eat dinner at O hana....sometimes I look at the comments and forget what meal they are looking for...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter