Table-mate nightmares anyone? Obnoxious adults?

Lisa,

If it is just you and your husband you will most likely be put in the adult rotation starting in Lumiere's or Triton's (depending on the ship). That will reduce the number of children you have around you (there are some children on every rotation, but this rotation has the fewest).

Yes, there have been some horror stories, but pleae remember they are few and far between. If you would feel comfortable at a smaller table (say for 4) let Disney know. I assume that you have also advised them of your hearing loss. I'm sure they will take that into consideration as well. They want the experience to be wonderful for everyone.

Our table-mates were another family of three, but their son was 15 and our daughter was 7. They were seated when we arrived at the table and the wife took one look at our daughter and raised her eyebrow as if "I am NOT sitting with a 7 year old for a week." Her displeasure was VERY obvious.

We introduced ourselves, said hello, and the server came right over with the menus. He handed our daughter the children's menu and the first thing out of her mouth was, "Where's the escargot?" ! Our table-mate's husband and son burst out laughing and the wife looked stunned. The server chuckled, made a slight bow, and said, "I guess madam would prefer the adult menu!" :p

It was all we needed to break the ice and the rest of the week was very pleasant. The husband actually took our daughter's hand on the last evening, kissed it, and said, "It has been a pleasure to share this week with you, my dear."

"Disney likes to lump like people together".
It was just the two of us and we were on Deck 2, outside cabin. We were in our cabin and we heard rumbling at the door, a family of 4 was trying to get into our cabin. We smiled and told them they were mistaken. Guest services had written our cabin number down on a piece of paper...for them??
Well, we were the first family to arrive at dinner. The server looked straight ito my eyes and said, "Good Evening, Mrs. XYZ".
Well, I was flabbergasted. How did he know my name.
Then the next family of 4 arrived. Good Evening, Mrs. XYZ....
(They were the family that was trying to get into our cabin)
All six of us had the same last name. The other family was from California and they had two beautiful teenage daughters. It was a delightful table. The girls would rush out after dessert and we would stay with Mom & Dad to chat. We had a very nice time and still keep in touch over email.

Whoops, we were on deck 2, cabin 2572 and our tablemates were in 2573.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
we were on Deck 9, outside cabin.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where did you sleep, Topsiders???...

Originally posted by Talking Hands
Geez you guys are making me nervous about dining. I'm travelling with just my husband who hates screaming kids. Has no tolerance for them. We communicate with a combination of voice and ASL. I sign, but he doesn't although he understands me most of the time. And we're stuck with early dining so I know there will be kids around. Normally we wouldn't eat until 7:30 or 8 pm at home. And I refuse to wear my hearing aids in a noisy restaurant! I hope we survive.

I've only been on 2 disney cruises, but they've both been during the July crowded, sell-out (kid) cruises and I have yet to hear the screaming kids in the restaurants. I've heard a lot of laughter, "having fun" type of talking, cheering (during server-related entertainment like magic tricks, napkin hats, etc.) but I don't think I've just been lucky. It's definitely not a really quiet dining experience like you would get on an older non-kid friendly ship. However, I don't think you will be disappointed (unless you're put with a kid who eats the food off your plate and licks your spoons ;) )

Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
Yes, but (thankfully) not on a cruise. It was solved, however - I got a divorce...

You and me both, BD... :D Cheers!

And by the way, a very very Happy Father's Day to you... it's pretty obvious to all your DIS friends that you're a great dad. :)

*goes off to start plotting a DIS Single Parents cruise*

-gina-

Good morning Gina.

a very very Happy Father's Day to you

Thank you! My son woke me up at 6:10AM on Fathers' Day. I was served breakfast in bed!!! (I guess it was the Early Bird Special). It was the BEST scrambled eggs without spices, toast with too much butter and warm orange juice I ever had. Then I unwrapped my present tucked under the card "Buckaroo" made for me. A digital travel alarm clock. It'll be the very first item on my "must pack" list for our cruise!

I hope EVERYONE - dads AND moms alike - had as special a day as I did...

PS - Gina. I like the idea of a Single Parent's Cruise. Perhaps we can "link" it to the Rae & Andy 50th Birthday Shrimpfest Cruise???

Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
It was the BEST scrambled eggs without spices, toast with too much butter and warm orange juice I ever had. Then I unwrapped my present tucked under the card "Buckaroo" made for me. A digital travel alarm clock. It'll be the very first item on my "must pack" list for our cruise!

That's so sweet!!! *sniffle*

PS - Gina. I like the idea of a Single Parent's Cruise. Perhaps we can "link" it to the Rae & Andy 50th Birthday Shrimpfest Cruise???

What and when is that?? Guess I need to take time to read more posts... :)

-gina-

April 16, 2005 - the Andy and Rae LIVE on the Magic Tour!

Welcome one and all - Only two requirements:

(1) Keep your mits off our shrimp!
and
(2) Remember Andy turns 50 before I do!

Rae

Hi Rae. You cannot camouflage yourself, my dear. For example:

Keep your mits off our shrimp!

A true to life hard ars would have said My shrimp or THE shrimp.

And here's another fine personality specimen:

Andy turns 50 before I do

A true to life hard ars wouldn't care if she were older than Andy...

I think it would be wonderful to fill up the April 16th cruise with the Rae and Andy 50th Birthday Shrimpfest and the Gina started single parent's cruise. Altho my child has 4 paws and fur.

Talking Hands said: And we're stuck with early dining so I know there will be kids around.

I am sure if you want the later seating you can switch it easily. Families with kids who book late get "stuck" with late seating alot and go on waiting list to switch to the earlier seating. I think you go to Sessions right after you board to switch your seating if you are unhappy. There is always Palos too..

Originally posted by Moosysmom
I think it would be wonderful to fill up the April 16th cruise with the Rae and Andy 50th Birthday Shrimpfest and the Gina started single parent's cruise. Altho my child has 4 paws and fur.

Four paws and fur!!!! Crack me up, Lynn!!!!!

Yes, we just hope that Disney opens up the 2005 so our tentative date is available!! It's also Disneylands 50th Birthday - wouldn't it be great if we could go West for that one! Yes, more airfare for some of us - but hey, it's the spirit of the event!

I spoke with Roger Saturday morning - he went to NY and then off to Brazil on Sunday night. Sounds marvelous! I know we will all miss him but still....we have a friend for life in him!
By the way, his birthday is 6/29!!!

Rae

Go West, it works for me altho I will literally be flying all the way across the country. Lots of Miles. I keep waiting for them to open up the 2005 cruises. I'll be on the Birthday cruise.
I wrote down his birthday so I remember, that is the day I am coming back home from my brother's wedding in Minnesota. Funny, I already think of Florida as home. I'm glad he's getting to go home to see the family. We definitely have to try and get Roger on the 50th Birthday Cruise. What fun.:D :D :D

Lynn,
Mom, Tom, Michael and I were talking about that! What a kick it would be for his former servers to be serving him! I'd love for him to bring Rebeka - want to fight over tables mates then?!~

I also want to comment about breakfast and lunch tables mates - some of the most wonderful, interesting and entertaining people have been a "one meal mate" for us! So don't get scared by our postings and just remember it's only 7 nights and when you get great table mates, that's just not long enough!

Rae

Originally posted by rae519
I also want to comment about breakfast and lunch tables mates - some of the most wonderful, interesting and entertaining people have been a "one meal mate" for us! So don't get scared by our postings and just remember it's only 7 nights and when you get great table mates, that's just not long enough!

Rae

I would have to agree. Those that we keep in touch with most after two cruises, we met at a Triton's sit-down breakfast! We've also met interesting and fun people for non-buffet lunches.

Originally posted by rae519
April 16, 2005 - the Andy and Rae LIVE on the Magic Tour!

Welcome one and all - Only two requirements:

(1) Keep your mits off our shrimp!
and
(2) Remember Andy turns 50 before I do!

Rae

Geez, I just found this thread and see what I find!!!

You (Andy) turn 50 one month before someone else (Rae) does and you can't live it down. I guess, since my DW turns 50, 13 months before me, I should really let her have it, right BD? Of course, since you are divorced, maybe you wouldn't be the right person to ask, LOL!!!

Hi Andy, Nice to see you again.

since my DW turns 50, 13 months before me, I should really let her have it, right BD? Of course, since you are divorced, maybe you wouldn't be the right person to ask,

If I were you, I wouldn't ask me...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter