TA without spouse

Kandjandj

Earning My Ears
I would have never of thought I would be intersted in TA. But when you break down the cost per night it actually is very attractive. Problem for us is that my husband is self employed and the main bread winner. For him to take that kind of time of off would mean losing too much money for us. We do not have any employees. He agrees that TA are a great deal but the only way I could do one with my DD would be alone. I might be able to talk my sister, mom or a friend in to going with me but I don't feel real positive about it. So has anyone gone on a TA without their spouse? Is it a bad idea in terms of not having another parent during meals, tours, bedtime,etc??
JC

I did the WBTA in 2007 with just me and my oldest DD, who was 11 at the time. It is still one of the best and most relaxing cruises I've taken. I will be doing the EBTA in May with just me and my two youngest DDs, who will be 12 and 10. I've also done quite a few other cruises without my DH and just with the kids. My DH does not care for the longer cruises... he would be like a caged lion with all of those sea days. He is not really into cruises like me and the girls but he has no issue with me and the kids going without him... so we do.

Some helpful hints: Join your cruise meet group either on the Dis or FB. It gives you a chance to get to know some of your fellow cruisers and friendly folks to chat with before and during the cruise. For WBTA, I didn't link dining with any of our group but Disney placed me at a table with two other moms w/kids traveling without their spouses. We had a wonderful time and ended up hanging out quite a bit while our kids were in the clubs. The meet groups also plan quite a few group activities. For our upcoming EBTA we have group brunches planned with a great mix of couples and singletons. We have a few group shore excursions for those with and without children.

If it's something you really want to do, don't hesitate. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask. I've cruised a lot with out my DH as a matter of fact he's still Silver while me and the girls are almost Platinum. :laughing:

Have you been on DCL, and does your kid like the clubs? If she does you may not see all that much of her.

Have you been on DCL, and does your kid like the clubs? If she does you may not see all that much of her.

That is so true. I have insist my girls have dinner with me. They would rather hang out in the clubs with their new friends. I had plenty of alone time to read and lay around in a lounge chair. :cloud9:

I'm considering the EBTA for 2014 with just my DDs and my parents. We took our first WDW vacation in Dec 2012 without DH, and it was easier than I thought it would be.

I'm more concerned about handling the girls once we get to Europe without DH, since one of my kids will only be 2 and still need to be held alot. Europe is not exactly stroller friendly and we love taking public transportation...not sure what to do yet...

I totally would. I travel without my husband a lot, since he works long hours and can't always get time off. In fact, I took them on a 5 day Bahamas cruise last May and we had a great time! I didn't see much of my 12 year-old daughter, but my son and I had lots of fun doing some of the things my daughter wasn't interested in, like Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer, and going to the arcade and playing board games on deck 3 in that place I can never remember but that serves mixed drinks for me and sprite for him. He also spent some time in the kids club, so there was a fair amount of alone time and a fair amount of family time. I found it very relaxing! Go for it and see if you can spend some time in Barcelona before you fly home!

I'm considering the EBTA for 2014 with just my DDs and my parents. We took our first WDW vacation in Dec 2012 without DH, and it was easier than I thought it would be.

I'm more concerned about handling the girls once we get to Europe without DH, since one of my kids will only be 2 and still need to be held alot. Europe is not exactly stroller friendly and we love taking public transportation...not sure what to do yet...

I am considering the same cruise with (maybe without?) my children and I have the same concerns. My DH would be going, but we'll have two 2.5 year olds and a 4 year old. I'm more concerned about the flight back, KWIM?

I am considering the same cruise with (maybe without?) my children and I have the same concerns. My DH would be going, but we'll have two 2.5 year olds and a 4 year old. I'm more concerned about the flight back, KWIM?

I totally know what you mean. The flight back terrifies me. I imagine complete 3 year old breakdown and constant whining with no daddy to help or a lovely cm to distract her. Too bad DCl doesn't own their own airline.

Aggiegirl & Kandjandj---

My girls will be 4 and 2. If we all do the 2014 EBTA we should have preschool girl playgroup :goodvibes

I would have never of thought I would be intersted in TA. But when you break down the cost per night it actually is very attractive. Problem for us is that my husband is self employed and the main bread winner. For him to take that kind of time of off would mean losing too much money for us. We do not have any employees. He agrees that TA are a great deal but the only way I could do one with my DD would be alone. I might be able to talk my sister, mom or a friend in to going with me but I don't feel real positive about it. So has anyone gone on a TA without their spouse? Is it a bad idea in terms of not having another parent during meals, tours, bedtime,etc??
JC

I am not in the same situation as you but all my Disney cruises have been solo with the exception of one. I believe you should go but if you don't feel comfortable about it don't go. I have met a lot of great people on Disney cruises that have become good friends. BTW, a few days ago I confirmed my reservations for the 2014 westbound TA cruise and I plan to go alone. Like you said the price was too attractive not to go.

Well the fact that my husband I separated back in Sept... I will be traveling on my own with my 3 Littles (5,7,9)
So you can hang with me :D

Aggiegirl & Kandjandj---

My girls will be 4 and 2. If we all do the 2014 EBTA we should have preschool girl playgroup :goodvibes

LOL. I just have to convince DH we can do this and should. The cost of 5 plane tickets just adds up like crazy.

PS-My 4 year old is a boy, but he always hangs with girls anyways. For some reason, girls always boss him around and he just willingly follows. I'm waiting for the day he rear back and hits one for being pushy though. ;)

I'm kinda getting excited now that I see others like us on here.

I am not sure which cruise it which, in terms of east and west. Shoot, I just figured out what the acronym stood for :). But why not fly to Europe and take the boat back. This way the most stressful part of the trip, flight, being in a strange country etc. Will be when you still have the most excitement and "refreshed". Once this is all said and done you will be able to enjoy the cruise and not worry about the trip home .

I would rather do the WBTA too BUT the cost to fly to Europe and then back to Canada from San Juan is wayyyy more expensive than the cruise. Watching fares last year for the cruise this year... it was cheaper in the 11 month out mark.

I will have a 5 year old boy for your 4 year old to buddy up with :thumbsup2

Thanks for everyone's replies so far. I think I will book it. I have already asked one friend but she can't do it. She only gets 2 weeks off from work and wants to do at least one week with her husband. My sister said no and then maybe. Two of my best friends are pregnant and would have infants next year so I doubt they would be able. I have a couple more people to ask but it looks like I will be going solo!

You can hang out with me too!!!
My kiddies are coming but they lev in the clubs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter