T & T do the triple – day 10 (Islands of Adventure and Blue Man Group)

Latte Lover

<font color=green> in charge of the credit cards a
We are:

Tony, (DH – Tony64) age 44 - in charge of driving, collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast, running to get fast passes and generally stressing. This is his ninth trip.

Theresa (me), age 43 - in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls. This is my tenth trip.

Maddie (DD), age 19 - jointly in charge of where we eat, shop and play this trip. This is her seventh trip.

Callum (DS) age 18 - in charge of himself. This is his seventh trip.

Monday 1st September 2008 (Labor Day)

An early start again today. We left at 7.50am and reached the gates of Islands of Adventure by 8.30. We went straight to Spiderman, then did The Hulk twice (once with Tony, once with Maddie (first time ever for her and she kept her eyes shut the whole time!).
Maddie and I are in the third row from the front on the right.

FloridaAug2008tony700.jpg

We did all the kiddie rides in Seuss Landing then wandered round to The Lost Continent with the intention of riding Duelling Dragons, but it was closed today. In fact, there was a CM stopping people from going through to that part of the park. We also discovered The Flying Unicorn had gone completely and the bridge going across to Jurassic Park had moved to accommodate the new Harry Potter Land which is being built.

FloridaAug2008tony718.jpg

FloridaAug2008tony721.jpg

To get over our disappointment, Maddie, Tony and I went on Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls which I hadn’t done since 1999 (flume rides being the only rides I’m not so keen on). It was actually quite good fun, but we had completely forgotten how wet you get on this ride; we were totally soaked before we had even got to the big drop!

We had lunch at one of our favourite Orlando restaurants – Mythos.
I had Chicken a la Oscar, which was Chicken breast with a crab cake, mashed potatoes, asparagus and a peanutty sauce. Yum!

FloridaAug2008callum095.jpg

Tony had the filet steak with mushroom mashed potatoes and onion straws.

FloridaAug2008tony760.jpg

Maddie had pizza and fries.

FloridaAug2008callum096.jpg

Callum just had milkshakes.

For dessert, Tony and I both had the chocolate banana caramel cake thing which is totally delicious.

FloridaAug2008tony765.jpg

Of course, we had to have coffees afterwards though Tony managed to restrain himself and instead of asking for a coffee they've never heard of, just ordered a cappuccino.:thumbsup2

FloridaAug2008tony762.jpg

After Islands, we walked around to the box office for The Blue Man Group and booked our tickets for the evening performance. In the park, we were told the tickets were $78 each, and when we enquired about possible discounts for annual passholders or students, were told that there wasn’t any. We were pretty sure there would be though, so asked at the box office. There were two types of discount available – one for annual passholders and a very substantial one for students (with student ID card). One student ID card can buy two tickets. The discounts were only available if you bought the tickets on the day of the performance and only from the box office. The total cost was just $127 for the four of us, so we were very glad we didn’t part with $312 in the park!

We left Citywalk around 2 ish and went to Joann’s craft store as there was a sale for Labor Day. Maddie and I bought a big stack of card, lots of scrapbooking papers and kits and a book, using a 10% off voucher (we love vouchers!). Cal bought another piece of plywood for his artwork. He has been doing little pieces of cartoon artwork all week and leaving them around the parks. They all have his e-mail address on the back and he wants to see if anyone contacts him! Today, he did some “Happy Labor Day” ones!

We drove back to the condo for a swim and a rest then heated up a few left-over bits and pieces (chicken, texas toast etc) for an early dinner, before heading back to Universal to see The Blue Man Group.

scan0002-1.jpg

The show was very good. It was funny and entertaining and the time just flew by. Who could guess that tissue could be so much fun?

We weren’t allowed to take photos during the performance, but we could take them afterwards.

FloridaAug2008tony785.jpg

Here’s Cal with a Blue Man. (Taken with a fish-eye camera).

scan0003-1.jpg

Cal, especially, really enjoyed the show and bought some light-up drumsticks in the shop afterwards.

We were going to have something to eat at Margaritaville in Citywalk but they had stopped serving for the evening, as had all the other restaurants in Citywalk. The bars were still open, of course, but I can't drink without food!

Tony took a few photos around Citywalk as this was the first time we had been there in the dark.

FloridaAug2008tony807.jpg

We drove home and went straight to bed, without even watching an episode of “House”!

Tony's getting the hang of this photography lark! ;)

Pleased to hear that you tenacity paid off on the discounts. What a result!

Great discount on the tickets - I love the BMG! :thumbsup2

sounds like you did well in Joann's. Where did you get your vouchers from?

Another great day Theresa. You did really well getting the discounts for the BMG :thumbsup2

a truly good day at unniversal.

susan

What a great day full of fun. It certainly paid off to ask about those discounts! That saved nearly $200--to spend at the craft store. I LOVE Cal's idea about leaving his e-mail address around the park on interesting bits of paper (interesting because of his drawings)--kind of a modern day version of a message in a bottle. Though it would be a random thing, the person noticing his message would likely be someone sympatico since they're in a theme park, too. What a fun idea. I'm going to think how I can do something like that. [I'm copying your idea, Callum.] Too tired for House?! That might be too tired. Tony's pictures are perfect illustrations for your report.

It certainly paid off to ask about those discounts! That saved nearly $200--to spend at the craft store.

Absolutely, Susan! Maddie and I had a great time spending what we saved. :goodvibes

Unfortunately, no-one has contacted Cal. Maybe both Universal and Disney are just too efficient in tidying up. He's had good results when he's done it back here in the UK though. :thumbsup2

Great discount on the tickets - I love the BMG! :thumbsup2

sounds like you did well in Joann's. Where did you get your vouchers from?

I got the vouchers for Joanns by subscribing to their e-mail service. Sometimes you can pick them up by the tills in-store too.

I'll PM you with a list of all the craft stores we visit.

great day,Hope to see BMG this year :goodvibes

Another brillant report. Nice discount on the BMG:thumbsup2

What a great day :)

I love that pic of you on the Hulk, great camera work!

We loved Mythos too, great pics - I love looking at all the food pics on here :)

Lovely report. I love Mythos too and it is currently our favourite restaurant over there.

I love the idea of leaving artwork and seeing if any one replies. A shame no one has but then those theme parks are so clean, there is always someone cleaning up so I guess you would have to be pretty inventive as to where to leave them. I would imagine the only places not being cleaned all of the time would be the rides themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter