T-Shirt to vulgar for disney?

I thought it reminded me of another shirt! -
L2ltYWdlcy9ibG9nL3Jzel8xcG9vaHZhZGVyLmpwZw==_H_SW250.jpg

Anyway - I only vaguely know what Deadpool is because DH and DS saw it, but I have at least heard of it.
See? Pooh dresses up as all kinds of nefarious characters. I know nothing about Star Wars, have never seen a single one (seriously!) but I am not offended by this in the least. Pooh, dressed in a scary looking costume with a weapon. Does Darth Vader kill people? I don't even know. This guy looks like as assassin though.

Darth Vadar also wears Mickey ears. That's not any scarier than Pooh in a ninja costume.

That shirt is awesome! I say if he really wants to wear it, the worse thing that could happen is a CM ask him to change or turn it inside out. Personally I would wear that shirt but I would not wear it to WDW. I wouldn’t want to confuse little ones when they are in the happiest place in earth.

Love it, and no I don't find it inappropriate for WDW.
If a small child doesn't like the shirt, or understand it their parents can explain it is Pooh dressed as a super hero and the name of the name of that superhero is Deadpool.
My goodness what a world we live in when harmless things should be "banned" instead of parents doing their job and explaining things to their children.

There are a few differences between Star Wars and Deadpool.

1. Star Wars is extremely common. I think it's safe to say everyone has heard of it. Deadpool is not as common. I have not heard of it before reading this thread. So if I saw that shirt I wouldn't think it was referencing a Disney owned property. I would think it was a sick joke about killing Pooh or Pooh is a killer.
2. Star Wars movies are rated PG-13 and are okay for older children. Deadpool is rated R and is intended for adults.
3. Pooh in a Star Wars shirt does not have the word "Dead" in it.

I think it's fine. It's not profane and the most that can happen is a kid will see it and get confused. It's not like it looks like Pooh is actually dead he's just wearing a costume.

i'm a teenager, that's how we talk on the internet. it may seem odd/disrespectful to you, but it's a term that should not be taken literally
lol is different than lmao same as the other one. And yeah depending on how many times you say lmao and the context of what you're saying lmao *remember what the 'A' stands for* I do agree with the other poster and have thought that before on some of your other posts because it seems dismissive when it's said in certain contexts of the conversation/comment. Just food for thought.

The shirt is wholly appropriate.

I can say I was pretty surprised by some of the bikinis allowed today at blizzard beach. Several complete thongs. So if thongs are allowed at water parks these shirts definitely would be welcome everywhere.

My mother says the answer is in the question.... but that being said I looked at the photo and didn't think of pooh being dead a kid could ask why does pooh look like a ninja?

So they are going to censor it because it has a reference to one of their own characters’ names?

Whoever made the shirt - did they get the copyright from Disney to do so? If they are making a profit off of the shirt, then it's a big NO. Disney would have the right to ask you to turn the shirt inside out, at the very least. Winnie the Pooh is their licensed character, and anything made for a profit can be banned from the park, to start with. So, yes, they can censor it.

Whoever made the shirt - did they get the copyright from Disney to do so? If they are making a profit off of the shirt, then it's a big NO. Disney would have the right to ask you to turn the shirt inside out, at the very least. Winnie the Pooh is their licensed character, and anything made for a profit can be banned from the park, to start with. So, yes, they can censor it.
Here's an article I found on the website the OP's shirt is from: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...-nerdy-t-shirt-economy-exists-in-an-ip-world/

The article does say "Generally, these aim for any RIPT design to be covered under parody and fair use guidelines." but it also states that "does get a few Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown requests a year."

When they first started they worked with IP lawyers but it appears they have since stopped.

So basically it operates in the grey world where sometimes yes they do have designs that are not 100% legal but generally it's like the parody movies like Scary Movie, etc.

That being said ultimately it's still up to Disney and could fall under their Park Rule below:

upload_2018-6-11_15-9-27.png

It's likely just going to be up for the individual CM at the security area but could get further attention if a guest complains. That's really why I told the OP hope for the best but expect the worst in that the shirt may be asked to be turned inside out.

OP, I would have never even thought to ask if that shirt was inappropriate for the parks in the first place, I would have let my DH wear it, no problem. I think you probably caused more stress and uncertainty by asking for opinions on this board rather than just going for it. I honestly don't think anyone will stop you or question you AT ALL.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about whether this shirt is offensive or not. I can see how it may be misinterpreted by some. But, like others have said, there is nothing vulgar, profane, or inappropriate on that shirt. It's Pooh in a costume :confused3

Here's an article I found on the website the OP's shirt is from: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...-nerdy-t-shirt-economy-exists-in-an-ip-world/

The article does say "Generally, these aim for any RIPT design to be covered under parody and fair use guidelines." but it also states that "does get a few Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown requests a year."

When they first started they worked with IP lawyers but it appears they have since stopped.

So basically it operates in the grey world where sometimes yes they do have designs that are not 100% legal but generally it's like the parody movies like Scary Movie, etc.

That being said ultimately it's still up to Disney and could fall under their Park Rule below:

View attachment 328870

It's likely just going to be up for the individual CM at the security area but could get further attention if a guest complains. That's really why I told the OP hope for the best but expect the worst in that the shirt may be asked to be
turned inside out.

“Whoever made the shirt - did they get the copyright from Disney to do so? If they are making a profit off of the shirt, then it's a big NO. Disney would have the right to ask you to turn the shirt inside out, at the very least. Winnie the Pooh is their licensed character, and anything made for a profit can be banned from the park, to start with. So, yes, they can censor it.”

It is not illegal to posses it. You can make any parody Disney shirt you want and are not violating any laws. It is illegal to sell it. I think you guys are getting way too far down the rabbit hole. No CM is going to stop someone and argue trademark law. They can’t prove he didn’t make it for himself and they aren’t going to ask him to either. Half the people wearing Disney shirts in the park got them on Etsy from someone selling them illegally. Could you seriously imagine them stopping them all? They aren’t going to selectively enforce that either.

Last edited:
A lot of you must have very observant kids. I'm fairly certain mine would pay zero attention to what t-shirt a random guy is wearing. If they did ask about it, I would simply explain to them what it means, because well, I'm the parent and that's my job.

I couldn't have said this better myself, especially the bolded. If my kids had any questions about the shirt, I'd have no problem explaining it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter