T-shirt intimidates airplane passengers

Sorry, but even if someone hadn't seen the movie, I think a reasonable reaction is, "Huh. Wonder what that means."

My husband actually owns the thinkgeek version of the shirt and gets positive reactions to it every time he wears it (which is often.) Never once has anyone mentioned anything negative about it.

Oh oh are you the one that said if someone butters an entire piece of bread it looks like they are making a sandwich??? :lmao:

Yep, that was me! It is a huge pet peeve of mine! My husband makes me crazy with his open faced butter sandwiches.

But I don't care what tee shirts anyone wears. First Amendment!

Yep, that was me! It is a huge pet peeve of mine! My husband makes me crazy with his open faced butter sandwiches.

But I don't care what tee shirts anyone wears. First Amendment!

LOL - open faced butter sandwich! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rotfl2:

That doesn't bother me. The pet peeve I was attacked for was appreciating proper grammar. Excuuuuuuuuse me! :stir:

If I like a shirt, I'll wear it. It's not my problem that you might get offended over it.

Ummm...you can wear what you want whenever and where ever you want and I promise I won't be offended.
So anyone should be able to wear T-shirts with cuss words to Disney World? What if someone wears a shirt promoting the KKK? No one's allowed to be offended? I'm sure there are plenty of offensive shirts out there. I'd find some and link to them, but don't want to get points. Simply google "offensive T-shirts" and tell me if you're ok with people wearing those to WDW.

I agree you have the right to wear what you want in public. Others have the right to be offended by what you wear. Businesses have the right to deny you service based on what you wear/don't wear.

One of my favorite stories on NPR recently was a letter-to-the-editor. All Things Considered had done an interview with Mandy Patinkin about the movie to celebrate its 25th anniversary, and he had been talking about how that catchphrase had followed him around for his entire life.

The listener had her own story on the subject: "A few years ago, I was in a class and we were introducing ourselves. One guy stood up rather hesitantly, and then said: 'My name is Pete Montoya.' The whole class of about 30 people, including the instructor, immediately responded, 'You killed my father, prepare to die.' The resigned look on the guy's face indicated that this was not the first time he'd heard this."

The original story: http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/...the-princess-bride-hes-not-tired-of-that-line

And the letter: http://www.npr.org/2012/10/08/162524307/letters-the-enduring-line-of-inigo-montoya

So anyone should be able to wear T-shirts with cuss words to Disney World? What if someone wears a shirt promoting the KKK? No one's allowed to be offended? I'm sure there are plenty of offensive shirts out there. I'd find some and link to them, but don't want to get points. Simply google "offensive T-shirts" and tell me if you're ok with people wearing those to WDW.

I agree you have the right to wear what you want in public. Others have the right to be offended by what you wear. Businesses have the right to deny you service based on what you wear/don't wear.

Another person's choice of apparel does not affect whether I enjoy Disney or not. I am okay with any idiot wearing any idiotic shirt anywhere. None of my business.

Would I let my own kid? Of course not. But I'm not going to tell other people how to dress.

Guess I'm just not going to get all upset and run and tell some "authority figure" to "protect me" over what someone is wearing. YMMV :confused3

I think if someone gets all offended about this stuff they have control issues. You (generic, not specific) do not get to shove your opinions/beliefs/thoughts/prejudices on anyone else. Well, except maybe your children.

It's a shame that society has become so intolerant and paranoid. I thought we were supposed to be getting more well-rounded with all this high-tech globalism.

If a private business wants to control what people wear, that's their prerogative...but they usually lay out specific guidelines. If someone chooses to go to said business and point fingers at someone else and say "I don't like what their wearing, make them take it off". I think that's ridiculous.

Guess I'm just not going to get all upset and run and tell some "authority figure" to "protect me" over what someone is wearing. YMMV :confused3
Who said anything about going to an "authority figure"? I thought this was about being whether someone could be offended?

I think if someone gets all offended about this stuff they have control issues. You (generic, not specific) do not get to shove your opinions/beliefs/thoughts/prejudices on anyone else. Well, except maybe your children.
Regarding the bolded... couldn't you say the same thing as people who wear certain T-shirts? Gay's can't get upset if someone wears a shirt saying "Gays are going to h-ll!"? I'm not saying anyone can make someone change their clothes, but I think it's unrealistic to say "anything goes, no one should be offended".

If a private business wants to control what people wear, that's their prerogative...but they usually lay out specific guidelines. If someone chooses to go to said business and point fingers at someone else and say "I don't like what their wearing, make them take it off". I think that's ridiculous.
I will agree 100%, that's not what I was talking about.

Regarding the bolded... couldn't you say the same thing as people who wear certain T-shirts? Gay's can't get upset if someone wears a shirt saying "Gays are going to h-ll!"? I'm not saying anyone can make someone change their clothes, but I think it's unrealistic to say "anything goes, no one should be offended".

Being offended is a choice.

If one chooses to be offended at something that is their "right". It's not about "should" or "should not". It's about choosing what gets your panties in a bunch. I just happen to think that anyone who takes offense at a t-shirt is a bit on the :crazy: side.

IMO they have bigger issues than just getting offended at a t-shirt.

It's the same poster who said beer at a wedding was "beyond tacky."
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=47263592&postcount=148

Meanwhile I'm the crackpot because of my views on bread and butter. :rotfl2:

Yep that is me, total elitist. Total separation of classes. I mean really, if don't mind looking at people in their Pj's or dirty jeans wearing nasty flip flops with dirty feet, and they smell like they haven't showered, then great. But hey, if that makes me a snob, because I don't want to, and that is what was meant by letting anyone wearing anything on a plane, then so be it. The way I was raised, it meant I had manners.

Yes, I've noticed a lot of things this poster has said in the past... have even had some fairly nasty stuff directed at me. :goodvibes

Oh oh are you the one that said if someone butters an entire piece of bread it looks like they are making a sandwich??? :lmao:

Then put me on your ignore list. And what I said wasn't nasty. I am not an elitist. That shirt was inappropriate for a plane. Anything with a threat is not cool. If you think it is, then I am sorry, but I don't.

I also don't think it is ok for people to show up in dirty smelly clothes, dirty feet for a plane ride and yet I see this quite often. Yep I am a total rude snob. YOu caught me.

PS, I also have to say, that some of the people here are the rudest I have ever met. So no big deal, I feel your pain.

Yep that is me, total elitist. Total separation of classes. I mean really, if don't mind looking at people in their Pj's or dirty jeans wearing nasty flip flops with dirty feet, and they smell like they haven't showered, then great. But hey, if that makes me a snob, because I don't want to, and that is what was meant by letting anyone wearing anything on a plane, then so be it. The way I was raised, it meant I had manners.

Ahhh...but that's a whole different conversation.

Being a snob is not the same as being offended. What you like or don't like is a personal choice.

However, when you ask someone to change themselves because you don't like something about them - that crosses the line. It's RUDE. If manners mean anything.:confused3

Ahhh...but that's a whole different conversation.

Being a snob is not the same as being offended. What you like or don't like is a personal choice.

However, when you ask someone to change themselves because you don't like something about them - that crosses the line. It's RUDE. If manners mean anything.:confused3

So are you saying that you are ok with people getting on a plane with dirty clothes and smelly feet? If I say I don't that makes me a snob. Well, ok. But that has never come up when the discussion of wearing flip flop to WDW has come up. Many people spout off about how feet shouldn't be seen and it disgusts them, they have never been called a snob. I just don't want to look at dirty feet and if I think that they should shower, that makes me a snob, well then so be it.

Now if you are talking about the shirt, yes I think it was in poor taste for an airplane, given the things that have happened. If that same person was wearing it out and about, I wouldn't think any thing about it. If that makes me a snob, well then so be it.

Manners also dictate how you behave in public. It works both ways, people seem to forget that. They are all to concerned about THEIR rights to do what they want.

Another person's choice of apparel does not affect whether I enjoy Disney or not. I am okay with any idiot wearing any idiotic shirt anywhere. None of my business.

Would I let my own kid? Of course not. But I'm not going to tell other people how to dress.

LOl, I am a snob and elitist, yet you call people "any idiot" But because you don't judge on WHAT they are wearing you are ok and a stand up person. Just peachy. Gotta love this place. NOT.

LOl, I am a snob and elitist, yet you call people "any idiot" But because you don't judge on WHAT they are wearing you are ok and a stand up person. Just peachy. Gotta love this place. NOT.

Whatever. I'll give you an example. This person is an idiot:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/education/queens-student-home-explicit-t-shirt-article-1.1173342

Why do I think that? Because she's wearing an idiotic tee shirt out in public. To me, that makes you an idiot, moron, dumbbell, whatever. Same thing if you wore a KKK shirt, to give an example someone else used earlier. Either way, the wearer of the shirt is communicating some things to me: that they use poor judgment, that they have a juvenile sense of humor, whatever.

I didn't say I wasn't judging someone for dressing that way. Of course I am! But I also wouldn't deny their right to wear it, which is what this thread is about.

Whatever. I'll give you an example. This person is an idiot:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/education/queens-student-home-explicit-t-shirt-article-1.1173342

Why do I think that? Because she's wearing an idiotic tee shirt out in public. To me, that makes you an idiot, moron, dumbbell, whatever. Same thing if you wore a KKK shirt, to give an example someone else used earlier. Either way, the wearer of the shirt is communicating some things to me: that they use poor judgment, that they have a juvenile sense of humor, whatever.

I didn't say I wasn't judging someone for dressing that way. Of course I am! But I also wouldn't deny their right to wear it, which is what this thread is about.

Well, I will give you that one, she looks like an idiot.

I also never said you should deny the person in question in this thread, the right to wear the shirt, I said it I thought it was in poor taste to wear it on a plane.

The picture you shared, it was in poor taste to wear to school, if she where older and she wore it to a gay bar, or parade, it probably be fairly appropriate. So I guess you and I are really of the same mind. It isn't the shirt, it is actually where the shirt is being worn. Shocking, isn't it. lol

But I also wouldn't deny their right to wear it, which is what this thread is about.
Really? Since when? Nobody has said the guy didn't have the right to wear the shirt, he just has to suffer consequences (if any) for choosing to do so... just like the young lady in the article you linked.

Really? Since when? Nobody has said the guy didn't have the right to wear the shirt, he just has to suffer consequences (if any) for choosing to do so... just like the young lady in the article you linked.

From the article in the original post. The wearer was asked to remove it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter