T-shirt intimidates airplane passengers

W
I've just googled the movie to find out what it was about. It was released in 1987 and said that it made 30.8million at the box office (considered a flop), predominantly in the US and Canada. ...

From Wikipedia:
Box office
The film was initially a modest success,[7] grossing $30.8 million at the United States and Canada box office,[8] on a $16 million production budget.[9]

That word, flop. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Australia's default language is English.
New Zealand's national languages are English and Maori.
A person whose primary language isn't English would likely comprehend or not the entire quote - not just three words at the end.

There are many non native English speakers in Australia and New Zealand whose language skills could well translate "prepare to die" but not the rest and who, like most non North Americans would have no clue about the film being referenced.

Anyway, what I think and what you think is totally irrelevant, the person on the plane was disturbed by what they saw and spoke to a flight attendant about it.

All of you so wonderfully immersed in this "iconic" piece of your "pop culture" are the ones making a mountain out of a molehill. You know the film inside out whilst others have never heard of it.

No big deal, try and get over it without being so defensive.

ford family

There are many non native English speakers in Australia and New Zealand whose language skills could well translate "prepare to die" but not the rest and who, like most non North Americans would have no clue about the film being referenced.

Anyway, what I think and what you think is totally irrelevant, the person on the plane was disturbed by what they saw and spoke to a flight attendant about it.

All of you so wonderfully immersed in this "iconic" piece of your "pop culture" are the ones making a mountain out of a molehill. You know the film inside out whilst others have never heard of it.

ford family

You really should watch it someday if you get the chance. It's adorable, family friendly and well, just plain good. :goodvibes

ford family said:

ford family

I'm not defensive of anything. I don't give a rat's heinie if someone has seen or likes the movie.

I am offended by the fact that the fools in the world apparently can cause all kinds of issues for other people and that is becoming the norm.

As dad as the whole English language issue, if you can read the tiny half cursive script on a person's shirt then you are literate enough to be able to see it is a mass marketed printed shirt and understand that just because you don't get it doesn't mean it is a problem.

We were talking about this last night at a BBQ at home. Of the 20 or so Australian's at the table, not one of us had ever heard of this movie. So its not inconcievable to think that other Australian's had not either.
I've just googled the movie to find out what it was about. It was released in 1987 and said that it made 30.8million at the box office (considered a flop), predominantly in the US and Canada. It wasn't until it made it to video that it became popular, again in the US and Canada. I would expect that there were many on that plane, probably the majority, that didn't know of its existance.

I'm Australian too and I have a few friends that know this movie and quote it.

I am offended by the fact that the fools in the world apparently can cause all kinds of issues for other people and that is becoming the norm.
First, "all kinds of issues"? Really? The guy was asked if he could change his shirt. I don't really think this incident is going to scar him for life or anything.:sad2:

As dad as the whole English language issue, if you can read the tiny half cursive script on a person's shirt then you are literate enough to be able to see it is a mass marketed printed shirt and understand that just because you don't get it doesn't mean it is a problem.
"Tiny, half cursive"? My guess is someone walked by the guy while boarding the plane, didn't read the entire shirt, and simply saw "prepare to die". Who knows what they actually said to the FA. Let's not make this out like someone had minutes to read the entire phrase and realize it was a mass produced shirt, much less recognize the movie quote. My guess is we're spending more time discussing it here than the situation actually affected the wearer.

And really? The "most often quoted movie"? :rolleyes: I didn't recognize the quote. I haven't recognized any quotes people have posted on this thread. And there are plenty of movies I haven't seen where I recognize quotes from... "Make him an offer he can't refuse" comes to mind pretty quick. And there's not one Princess Bride reference on AFI's Top 100 movie quotes...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI's_100_Years...100_Movie_Quotes

Lol, yeah, all kinds of issues. The last thing I want to do when I am heading off on a plane trip is to have to change clothes in the airplane restroom and deal with the absurdity of a foolish request. Because absurdity irritates the crap out of me.

As far as the time to assimilate the phrase. Really? You can't read something and think two seconds before you go whining to the teacher...I mean flight attendant? Obviously other people had seen the shirt and not panicked.

Lol, yeah, all kinds of issues. The last thing I want to do when I am heading off on a plane trip is to have to change clothes in the airplane restroom and deal with the absurdity of a foolish request. Because absurdity irritates the crap out of me.
Did he change his shirt? I thought he didn't. :confused3 So yes, I don't think this really was as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

As far as the time to assimilate the phrase. Really? You can't read something and think two seconds before you go whining to the teacher...I mean flight attendant? Obviously other people had seen the shirt and not panicked.
So someone reads a phrase on a shirt that says "prepare to die" while boarding or on an airplane. What should they think? I don't know how it is in Australia, but I know in some US airports, I've heard announcements "if you see unclaimed bags, let security know" (or something like that). I guess everyone could simply think "obviously other people have seen that bag sitting there".

Do I think he should have been made to take the shirt off/turn it inside out? No. Do I fault the passenger who complained or the FA for finding out what's going on with the shirt? No. The guy should have just said "Oh, it's a quote from a movie." I don't think it was a good choice to wear when flying.

But there is the common sense issue that bugs me (obviously!). Take the baggage example. You see a bag, you see someone walking away and you think for a few seconds, asking yourself some basics. You watch them walk over, throwaway trash and walk back. You don't just take a 2 second swatch and act IMO.

I wouldn't have thought twice if one of my kids grabbed the shirt for a flight. Because common sense should reign. I would have explained and my dear husband would have argued. :).

I'm not defensive of anything. I don't give a rat's heinie if someone has seen or likes the movie.

Well said!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

::yes::::yes::::yes::

Next thing you know we will all have to line up for clothing inspection beofre being allowed onto the aircraft. Our fellow passengers will have to give us a pass or fail, and if we don't get a 80% approval rating we don't board.

I find it more offensive when some inconsiderate twit brings a tuna sandwhich on board.

Don't forget too that the TSA obviously didn't find his shirt scary. But maybe they had common sense.:idea:

But there is the common sense issue that bugs me (obviously!). Take the baggage example. You see a bag, you see someone walking away and you think for a few seconds, asking yourself some basics. You watch them walk over, throwaway trash and walk back. You don't just take a 2 second swatch and act IMO.

I wouldn't have thought twice if one of my kids grabbed the shirt for a flight. Because common sense should reign. I would have explained and my dear husband would have argued. :).
To me common sense tells me this wasn't as big a deal as people are making out. He didn't have to change his clothes, he wasn't taken off the flight, he basically was asked a couple questions. What happened to "I can't be believe people can be offended by the simplest things"?

My point about the bags is travelers are ENCOURAGED to report something they see as suspicious. They're not encouraged to think "oh, someone else must have seen it, so it must be ok".

To me the appropriate response if the FA asked me about a saying on my shirt... "Oh, it's a line from a movie." It should end there. I think the FA went a little overboard asking him to change it, but she didn't make him do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter