T.S.A. approved locks

spotowner

Earning My Ears
H.T.A.
Has anyone bought a T.S.A. approved lock for their siutcases? If so how much were they? Was anything missing? I haven't flown in 2 years and I read on other posts of bags being opened. T.I.A.

spotowner said:
H.T.A.
Has anyone bought a T.S.A. approved lock for their siutcases? If so how much were they? Was anything missing? I haven't flown in 2 years and I read on other posts of bags being opened. T.I.A.

I have them. They worked great. Nothing missing in any of our bags at all.

I bought them for about $6 each at the Samsonite store. I was actually looking at them at Target tonight. They were $7.95 each in the luggage section and about $7.50 each in the lock section (housewares).

They have a symbol on them the designates them as TSA approved.

Hope this helps.

Duds

spotowner said:
H.T.A.

Bought two at Brookstones. I think they were $5 apiece. They have a TSA symbol on them. When you set the lock there is a indicator that turns green. If TSA opens the lock with their master key and then relock, the indicator turns red, so you know they looked into your baggage. Worked fine. I asked about regular suitcases that have combination locks and they said to either set to 000 or tape over the lock.

Picked up a package of 4 for 16.95 at Costco. They are the same as those described by Emily and Jack's Dad.
HB2000

Thank you for posting this thread, I was planning on asking the same thing tonight. With the Magical Express now available, I am thinking that a locked bag is the way to go.

Am wondering, has anyone used these locks for overseas flights or are they for "domestic" use?
Snooper

for $5 each. They are the three number kind.

I would seriously recommend them. We went to New York last year for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and someone stole my husbands watch out of his suitcase. We know that it wasn't someone at the hotel because we took our bags to the airport. So, it was stolen during the security check.

He filed a claim with the TSA and they offered him half the value of the watch. He refused the claim because they didn't still half of a watch.

Then in early December we are watching t.v. and what do we see.....a special on DATELINE about TSA agents stealing stuff from luggage at JFK airport. Those agents were caught red handed on camera still out of travelers luggage. We are sure that someone is enjoying his watch. He has filed a suit against TSA because it was a very expense watch and his father's watch who is now deceased.

We learned a valuable lesson and don't put anything of value in our "checked" suitcases. Don't make the same mistake we did.

However, we enjoyed the parade and the trip tremendously and are doing it again this year. Shameless plug for Marriott Marquis in Time Square....now that is hotel....5 star service to match the 5 star prices...but we wouldn't stay anywhere else!!!

To be honest, I am at a loss with how to deal with airport security with respect to things like cameras. When we went to Florida at Christmas time, I took my cameras out of their bags and put them in the buckets. When I arrived home, the TSA agent had pried the lens cover off my camera, instead of sliding it, which not only broke the camera, but voided my warranty. Fortunately, I was able to get a replacement cover from the manufacturer, who was also nice enough to make a note of what happened to the camera. They were going to fix the camera at reduced cost if I had not been able to fix it myself. TSA is not responsible at all, legally, for damage or breakage, according to my brother, who is an attorney.

delilah said:
To be honest, I am at a loss with how to deal with airport security with respect to things like cameras. When we went to Florida at Christmas time, I took my cameras out of their bags and put them in the buckets. When I arrived home, the TSA agent had pried the lens cover off my camera, instead of sliding it, which not only broke the camera, but voided my warranty. TSA is not responsible at all, legally, for damage or breakage, according to my brother, who is an attorney.

When you say that you took the cameras out of their bags and put them in the buckets, do you mean at the airport check point? Were you there when they were looking at them? I never take my cameras out of the bag. The agents call you over to the table if any additional screening is needed, and they have never had a problem when I show them how to work something. As far as the tsa not being responsible for the damage--they even have an electronic claim form for damaged and missing items on their website.

I wouldn't bother with the locks. What happens if the TSA doesn't have the key and they still need to examine your baggage? Locks don't really deter people for very long. You could get a nasty TSA agent that could delay you and your luggage because you locked it.

Don't pack anything valuable in your suitcase if you want to see it again. For cameras they never leave the case. I haven't ever been asked to show them a camera either. That is how I make a living so and very careful with my cameras.

I wouldn't bother with the locks. What happens if the TSA doesn't have the key and they still need to examine your baggage? Locks don't really deter people for very long. You could get a nasty TSA agent that could delay you and your luggage because you locked it.

Don't pack anything valuable in your suitcase if you want to see it again. For cameras they never leave the case. I haven't ever been asked to show them a camera either.

cruiseonmagic said:
When you say that you took the cameras out of their bags and put them in the buckets, do you mean at the airport check point? Were you there when they were looking at them? I never take my cameras out of the bag. The agents call you over to the table if any additional screening is needed, and they have never had a problem when I show them how to work something. As far as the tsa not being responsible for the damage--they even have an electronic claim form for damaged and missing items on their website.

Yes, TSA asks that you take laptops, DVD players and any other large electronic instruments (camcorder) out of your luggage and put them into the buckets. The problem is when you get to the other side and have the buckets starting to back-up on you as you try to repack your equipment. We were sitting in the Orlando airport and heard an announcement stating that someone took the wrong laptop computer and left their's with the next person in the line.

Painful, especially when you have young children and you are trying to load those camcorder/laptop/dvd player back into your carry-on, already crammed with kids toys and food. But, at least it stands a better chance than in your checked luggage.

The should have the key to the lock. That's why they are TSA approved locks.

You are right though...I could get a TSA agent that decides to steal items with the locks on but it would be very clear when filing a claim where the thief comes from. I also will never ever ever put anything of value in check luggage.

My laptop is the only electronic item I have ever been asked to place separately in a tub on a regular basis. I guess about half the time I fly they ask this. I keep a neoprene 'skin' on it so it can easily be removed from the carry-on and placed in the tub without getting marked up. Once I had to remove my cell phone from my purse.

I have a great wheeled carry-on from Samsonite that I use for my laptop, video camera, still camera, valuables, electronic cords, books, organizer, etc. It's SO SO handy to wheel around all the heavy high-ticket items rather than to try and tote them on my shoulder or backpack. Better still, it is designed to fit under the airline seat ahead of you (if there's no room in the overheads) and its zipper is placed conveniently so you can access all your stuff without having to lift it up and out. The interior is designed so that all your items are angled and separated, so you can remove one thing without disturbing the rest. Best travel investment I ever made.

I have a link for Ebags if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.ebags.com/samsonite/silh...g_tote/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=49310

:wave2:

ExPirateShopGirl said:
My laptop is the only electronic item I have ever been asked to place separately in a tub on a regular basis. I guess about half the time I fly they ask this. Once I had to remove my cell phone from my purse.

I :wave2:

Exactly. Normally they just want me to power up my laptop if I bring it, and that's it. TSA's website says to pack cameras in carry-ons. If I take all of my cameras, I place them in 2 soft side 6 pack coolers(great for water rides and rain--if water doesn't leak out, it won't leak in) then place those in a travel pro tote. Since you can take 1 carry-on plus 1 personal item, the tote is considered the personal item because it is my camera case. The tote also attaches to my rollaboard so carrying it is not an issue.

I fly to some pretty small airports and I wouldn't bet that they have the key for the new locks.

Also it wouldn't be evident that it was TSA if the lock was removed. A ramp agent or anyone with contact with your bags could steal something. It happens quickly.

A lock just tells the thief "I have something of value" LOL! I have never locked my luggage and everything arrives just fine. Of course since I don't pack any valuables, I figure no one wants to steal my dirty clothes!

Don't use the locks internationally, foreign airports do not have the keys!

safetymom said:
Don't pack anything valuable in your suitcase if you want to see it again.
We learned that the hard way after our trip to WDW last month. The items weren't monetarily valuable, but very sentimental since they were our souvenirs. :(
We have always put "valuables" in our carry-ons on past trips, but packed the souvenirs in our checked baggage. Never had a problem.
Disney World keepsakes certainly qualify as valuables to us! We're guessing a baggage inspector at the airport (not MCO) needed some gifts. :mad:

I bought TSA locks for $7.00 a piece.
Security in PHL did NOT use the master key to open the lock. They just simply snapped the whole lock off with huge loppers.
I just leave my bags unlocked now.
What a waste.

That has been my suggestion for awhile now. If they don't have the key or don't want to take the time to look for it they will just rip the lock off. You shouldn't put anything in your suitcase you can't afford to lose.

Sorry to hear they damaged your suitcase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter