• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SWW and thunderstorms?

karic19

Mouseketeer
I leave in less than a week :goodvibes for sww. But, it is calling for thunderstorms. I fully believe in throwing on a poncho and heading into the storms. However, during sww will any of the characters be out? :confused3 Have you experienced it? How did it go? What did you do?

I leave in less than a week :goodvibes for sww. But, it is calling for thunderstorms. I fully believe in throwing on a poncho and heading into the storms. However, during sww will any of the characters be out? :confused3 Have you experienced it? How did it go? What did you do?

It happened today. The motorcade was canceled and some characters did not appear. See posts on this page of this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2791638&page=129

That said, ignore any forecasts more than 48 hours here. Figure on hot, humid, and chance of passing thunderstorms and go from there.

I have to agree that it's to far out to worry about the forecast. It will change. Repeatedly. That being said, most of the characters for SWW are outside. Rain is not your friend. They can and do cancel character sets. Best bet, IMHO, get your character photos done early. T-storms are most likely later in the day.

i am not to savvy on the abbreviations so I dont know what the sww is ... but, with that being said I will say that I went to MAGIC KINGDOM in Orlando this past October. Not only did I drive in during and :un=named tropical storm: it called for rain and thunderstorms the ENTIRE WEEK i was there. I can still remember looking at my darn "smart phone" and pulling up weather.com and going back and forth between that and the orlando weather reports I was a hot mess. Funny thing is, after our first day -- eventhough the phone STILL showed thunderstorms and rain, we never ever got any. Any im talking the darn phone app had thunderbolts on every day and some days had a 50% chance of rain.
Since then what Ive decided to understand about those "apps" and news casters is that they have to forecast the possibility but it doesnt mean its a guarantee and furthermore just because it rains in one area of Orlando it doesnt mean that it has to rain in the parks... (and i say that with a strong conviction) not as a Disney Enthusiast who is hopeful and wishing for "magic" lol lol lol ... I have been to Florida once to twice a year for the past 6 years and I will say that the rain is very hit or miss and a lot of the forecast has to do with humidity and evenso a rainshower does not mean its all day or a deal breaker.
I will answer your question and say that unless your meet and greets are INDOORS they will not be out in the rain --- and the rides will still go on with the rain unless there are thunderbolts within a certain amount of miles from said park. I learned this from discussing IN LENGTH my concerns about storms on my past trip. I was talking to some well suited man who worked for Disney and he seemed to be in charge of Frontierland in some way == I dont know who the mystery man was but he was very informational and I sort of am glad that I stopped him on his mad dash while talking on his ear piece lol lol lol ... he explained that there are actually people watching the lightning strikes in the area on the doppler radar (AT DISNEY!!!) and they closely watch these storms and know when and where to close things at a moments notice. So go with the expectation that you will have a blast rain or shine. I hope you get to meet who you had your heart set on. Go early and stay late .. maybe just maybe things will turn out for the best.

For itsdisneytime: SWW= StarWars Weekend. There's a really good sticky with all of the customary abbreviations on the mainpage.

OP: They're Storm Troopers in name only. In reality they disappear when the lightning and rain starts.

We're coming into the season when afternoon thunderstorms are likely any day, but they usually only last for an hour or so. You can use them to your advantage, though, by ducking indoors to wait them out. A lot of the crowd will head out and go back to their resorts so the lines will be better for a few hours after the storms.

Pretty steady rain for about 5 hours today, sometimes hard (11:30-4:30ish). They cancelled parade and 2pm PMC. Some characters still outside, some moved inside. 6:30pm PMC and HH were not guaranteed to go, but weather turned out good enough.

we are planning to be in A.K. june the 19th so it will rain june the 19th.
for the last 4 years it has rained every time we go to A.K.
the other posters are correct it only last for maybe an hour or so but at times it is very strong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter