• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Switching staterooms

Bfreitag

Earning My Ears
We are traveling with family in April, but one of the families has just decided to divorce and probably won't be joining us. They have booked a concierge suite. I know they will wait until the last minute to decide. They haven't booked flights yet, and I doubt they bought trip insurance. If they don't end up going, is it possible to switch some people to their suite? We are currently booked in two other connecting staterooms with 4 people in each and would be nice to spread out if the extra room is available.

you might be able to "change" a person on the reservation but rarely the lead guest. A change fee is usually involved and it would impact your own reservation as well since you'd be taking someone off of it.

If no one on that original reservation will be going, then no you won't be able to switch to that room...unless they cancel and you rebook at the current rate.

What is the cancellation policy? Will they be able to get any money back if they end up canceling? If they can't get money back and don't go, won't their suite just end up being empty?

What is the cancellation policy? Will they be able to get any money back if they end up canceling? If they can't get money back and don't go, won't their suite just end up being empty?

If not past the PIF date (which I think is 90 days for concierge), they could reschedule their cruise. Maybe losing the deposit but the rest of the fare should carry to the new booking. If it is past the PIF date, I don't have the exact penalty schedule for canceling.

If they cancel, whether or not they receive a refund is irrelevant. DCL reserves the right to re-sell that suite. Many people try to upgrade at port and it could be sold then.

If the other party doesn't cancel and simply doesn't show up, I don't know if DCL would make that suite available onboard to another party. But I'm sure they won't allow guests not on the reservation to access a concierge room, particularly on the Dream or Fantasy with the lounge and such.

We are 42 days away from sailing. The reason this concerns me is that the MIL is booked in our stateroom but was planning on staying in the concierge suite. I don't want her with us! Can we do a name change and put hers instead of the wife's? Even if the husband doesn't go, she would be considered part of that reservation and would have access?

Goodness that's a situation! Does the MIL seriously expect to still go on the cruise even if the rest of her family is not going??? They are currently in the 50% cruise fare loss penalty, including the MIL if they are going to cancel her fare from your room. So neither of the spouses will be going on the cruise and MIL would be the only one who shows up? That one is a big maybe. Do either of you have a TA who could look into this for you?

If you cancel within this period: The cancellation fee is:
Suites/concierge staterooms:

45 + Days prior to sail
Loss of Deposit per guest.

Non-suites/concierge staterooms :

74 - 45 Days prior to sail
Loss of Deposit per guest.
All Categories:

44 - 30 Days prior to sail
50% of vacation price per guest
All Categories:

29 - 15 Days prior to sail
75% of vacation price per guest
All Categories:

14 Days or less before sailing
No refund

MIL will definitely be planning to go. 3 of her 5 children and their families are supposed to be on this trip. She got booked in our stateroom because we are a family of 3, while the other family is a family of 4. The 3rd family is the one in concierge, and it would be too expensive to originally book her with them. She was supposed to change rooms once on the ship. She has convinced her children that they will owe her for the rest of her life for simply being their mother. The children are footing the bill for her vacation and she will serve as "babysitter" one night of vacation. And, of course, she and I have a mutual dislike for each other and she's booked with us! I'm just trying to save my vacation and figure out a way for all of us to survive if the 3rd family decides not to go.

AH!!! Missed the part that she is YOUR MIL, thought she was just related to the family cancelling. In that case, surprised that she isn't using that guilt to get one of the adults in that family to take their children. Wish you all the best! I really don't know what would happen if she was moved to that room as a name change -- which wouldn't cost anything at this point -- but was the only one who actually showed up. Surprised they didn't cancel before the 50% penalty point since they decided that already.

It certainly sounds like a challenging time. Unfortunately, there isn't much YOU can do at this time without cooperation and help from the 3rd family. They (or at least one of them) needs to decide if or whether they will be going on the cruise. If at least one of them goes, then the original plan will still work (though, if you are on the Dream or Fantasy MIL may have trouble even accessing the concierge area without a concierge KTTW card). If none of them intends to go, again other then they cancel and you or your MIL or the 2nd family picks up the reservation (at current price) there again isn't much you can do because the lead name on the reservation must remain, it can't be completely switched to anyone else. Can your spouse get the family into discussion? I'm assuming this is your spouse's mother, and the family getting a divorce is a sibling.

Worse case scenario...there are lots of places on the ship where you can spend your time without being in the stateroom with MIL all day. Hopefully you can manage to sleep at night with the curtain pulled!

since you'd be making a change to their reservation.

however, I think the scenario mentioned above could work. You could change her to their stateroom as a name change. You might get some sort of fee for moving her out of your stateroom and a name change fee on the other reservation.

Then later once they make up their minds regarding the concierge stateroom at least partially coming, you can make the necessary changes then. Disney doesn't like lead guest changes, but they will do so as needed. Especially since they will most likely get 50% or more of the vacation price anyway. If they have insurance through DCL, the other family may be able to put the $$ toward future cruise.

With it being concierge you have some different rules. And you'd have to talk with DCL to find out what they can do. But it's hard to do that without the other sibling's buy-in.

I seriously doubt that the stareroom will go unused at the port. Once cancelation is made or the family doesn't show, DCL can sell the cabin to someone else.

Divorce can be really hard for everyone involved. So sorry you're having to deal with this and worried about your vacation too. Love my MIL, but couldn't survive for 1 night in a stateroom on a ship with her...even a suite!

Yes, they could sleep in a different room. They would have to go to their original muster station for the drill and if there was an emergency.

Regarding switching her. I don't think there is a fee to change her name now, but it might still be viewed as a cancelation in your room.

The third family ended up cancelling, which means I am stuck with MIL. Anyone have any advice for vacationing with a hateful person who is outwardly mean and disrespectful of boundaries and feelings?

The third family ended up cancelling, which means I am stuck with MIL. Anyone have any advice for vacationing with a hateful person who is outwardly mean and disrespectful of boundaries and feelings?

Only suggestions I have, put her in her own (inside) room. Yes, costs more, but at least you'll have a peaceful place to retreat to.

And every night mark your Navigator for what you will be doing the next day, and stick with it. If she opts to participate in the same activities, just try not be be seated with her. If she complains that you aren't doing things with her, be upfront and explain why.

Yes, it sounds rude, but it's your vacation, I wouldn't do it with someone I don't get along with.

:hug:

I agree. Get her a room of her own. If she's that bad, it should be worth doing to save your vacation. You can link the rooms for dining so you aren't giving the impression of cutting her loose entirely (you might want to, but probably need to try for some conciliation.) If you don't want to pay the single supplement put one of your kids in the room with her and have the kid sleep in your room.

If you can't get her a room, then let her know what activities are planned and she can participate or not as she chooses.

I don't know anything about any of this, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and I hope it all works out for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter