Switching doctors?

disfan07

DIS Veteran
So i have a question about switching doctors.

So I have 11 doctors. Pulm, cardio, rheum, neuro, primary, GYN, sleep, derm, allergist, GI, ortho

I've been with my current pulm for about 3 1/2 years. He was a great doctor at the beginning....but then became very complacent with my care. It's been anissue for a while now. And he constantly says that I've had too many surgeries and that they were unnecessary plus some other things that just piss me off to no end. As an aside, I've only had two real surgeries. A craniotomy for a cyst that was causing extreme headaches, balance problems and blurry visions and a pelvic laparoscopy for a diagnosis of endometriosis. I'd say that both were necessary...l

In addition a couple of my other doctors have mentioned that he is not communicating well with them at all and he seems to be spinning some things that have been said to fit his agenda of what thinks should be done.

So after my last appt after he questioned my allergists treatment after an allergic reaction with lung involvement, I had it with him.

So I got a referral fom my primary and cardio. Neither were surprised I wanted to switch.

So I saw my new pulm today. He was amazing. Apparently my old pulm missed some significant things on my lung function tests including airway restriction 4 times what it should be and another very significant indication of a possible underlying neuromuscular condition. In addition, I had never been shown my records or past test and I trusted my previous doctor when he told me my numbers were fine even when hospitalized. That was far from the case. Even healthy, I have PFT numbers in the 70-80% range. When I am in the hospital, most of my numbers drop to the 40-50% range

He basically flat out told me that with my numbers and symptoms my asthma is definitely not well controlled.

So all of this is to say, that today I officially decided to switch doctors. And I am royally pissed at my previous doctor. I consider a lot of basic things he missed and the way he's been ignoring my concerns to be very neglectful.

Here's the thing....do I TELL him or his office staff that I am switching or do I just sop going? I've been his patient for 3 1/2 years and I mean, he's a nice guy....I just don't think he's a good doctor for me any more. The other thing is that my mom sees the cardiologist that works with him in the same office....so I know that will be weird as well.

But my main question is....do you just leave and switch doctors Or do you actually tell the doctor you are leaving? And do you tell them why? I mean, obviously I think he will notice especially if I end up in the hospital (they are both attendings at the same hospital).

Adding to this mess....it is possible that if I end up in the ER or hospital, that my old pulm could be the covering doctor for my new pulm if he is not on call or out of town. So I feel like things could get sticky.

I'm switching doctors regardless....I'm just not sure how much info should be divulged.....

People switch doctors all the time. Whether or not to tell him depends on what you are looking to get out of it. If you think by telling him, he's going to apologise or treat other patients better and that's what matters, then tell him. It may or may not make any actual difference.

If you are just looking to find a good doc, I'd just call the office staff and have your records transferred. End of story.

Chances are excellent he's had many patients switch over the years and it's really no big deal. Most doctors have tons of patients. He may actually not even notice. There's no reason why your mother's cardiologist is going to start talking to him about the daughter of his or her patient who has stopped coming in.

I am a nurse practitioner and people do switch doctors all the time. The office and doctor will not be personally upset if you switch. I work in cardiac surgery and there is a considerable difference (IMHO) between the aggressiveness and level of involvement of different pulmonologists, so I can definitely relate with your experience.

I would have no qualms whatsoever about calling the old pulmonologist's office and asking to have your records switched. You are not hurting anyone's feelings and he may not even notice. I agree, no need to worry about your mom's cardiologist.

Good luck with your medical care.

People switch doctors all the time. Whether or not to tell him depends on what you are looking to get out of it. If you think by telling him, he's going to apologise or treat other patients better and that's what matters, then tell him. It may or may not make any actual difference.

If you are just looking to find a good doc, I'd just call the office staff and have your records transferred. End of story.

Chances are excellent he's had many patients switch over the years and it's really no big deal. Most doctors have tons of patients. He may actually not even notice. There's no reason why your mother's cardiologist is going to start talking to him about the daughter of his or her patient who has stopped coming in.

He will notice....it's an odd relationship....it's hard to explain. I have odd relationships with all of my doctors. Very....different we'll say. My mom had been seeing him as well as her primary doctor (he internal and Pulmonology). But she is going to be switching as well. He and the cardiologist work very closely together. The cardiologist used to be my cardiologist but I switched because my current cardiologist is specialized in electrophysiology and in my specific heart condition. He recommended the switch for that reason but whenever he sees me at the office he always asks me how I'm doing, etc and he always asks my mom how I'm doing and things like that. But I can guarantee that if my pulm sees my mom at the office, he will ask her how I'm doing and mention that he hasn't seen me in a while, etc.

It's hard to explain.....because of the amount of time I spend with my doctors and at the hospital I'm very close with most of my doctors....and I think that's why I feel so weird about this and why I am over thinking it so much....as my cardiologist said when we were taking about it, it's like a "break up" in some ways. He's a very nice person, I just think his medical abilities are slipping (at least with me)

I probably won't say anything (we already got copies of my records....didn't say why we wanted them).... But he'll probably find out soon enough either through the grapevine when he stops getting communication about my care or because he knows my new pulm.

Thanks though....I think I just had to "talk" this out....I'm so overwhelmed with so many other things that I think this was just one of those little nagging things that was just bugging me and making me crazy for some reason.

I am a nurse and advise my patients to switch doctors all the time. I feel that I need to be an advocate for many patients that have no medical knowledge.

To that point I will say I had a chronic cough for over 8 years. Saw pulmonary time and time again with nothing that ever worked. Switched to a different gp of pulmonary docs and it was amazing all that he asked me that no other docs ever did. He flat out told me I had reflux. I raised the head of my bed 4 inches off the ground and take OTC Prilosec every day at 4 pm. Within less than 4-5 days I was cough free.

I think you are over analyzing this. Doctors, like hair dressers write notes about their clients (patients ) with personal notes. If the doctor isn't meeting your needs then have your records moved and don't think twice about it unless you think he would retaliate by giving harmful care to your mother in which case you should notify the board!

I am going to take the opposite opinion here. Since you said you have a different kind of relationship with your providers and you see them frequently i think you should tell him why you are switching. I dont think you have to have a face to face, but just out of courtesy a letter. You dont have to go into detail about every little thing, but at least let him know what you think he did wrong for you.
Jmo.
If i had a patient i saw frequently for years just suddenly switch for no known reason i would wonder.
I think just out of courtesy you should tell him.

And this advice does not go for every situation of switching, its just your circumstances where i think its the thing to do.

I don't think it is as big of a deal as you are suggesting. As a nurse I see many patients with complicated medical issues. If you are someone that is ill all the time, I think the pulmonologist wouldn't feel slighted if you decide to see another doctor. It shouldn't bother him if a colleague has better luck with your case. He's not going to be sad if you go somewhere else.

At the risk of sounding cynical, even in the somewhat small town that I live in, I doubt any of the doctors I see would even know that I switched. They all are so busy, and I think it will just get worse over time with the projected shortage of doctors. When I was younger, I took the time to let them know why I left with a letter, hoping it would help the next patient, but I don't even do that anymore. :confused3

You may see a special relationship between yourself and this doctor. In his eyes, you are one of hundreds of patients he has. I think you are over estimating your importance in his life.

If you want to switch, switch. It happens all the time.

You may see a special relationship between yourself and this doctor. In his eyes, you are one of hundreds of patients he has. I think you are over estimating your importance in his life.

If you want to switch, switch. It happens all the time.

Well i will give my perspective, when i worked in an endocrinology practice i had many regular patients with chronic problems that i saw frequently for years. If one of them suddenly switched i would have known and honestly it would cross my mind as to why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter