Switching airlines mid trip

zoemurr

DIS Veteran
Is there a downside to doing this? We are trying to plan a trip to Hawaii. On the way out Hawaiian air makes the most sense, but they are $$$ on the way back. We can fly Allegiant and then Jet Blue for $400 each cheaper. There would be a 3 hour layover when we switch from All to JB so getting luggage transferred shouldn't be an issue. Is there another downside to piecing this itinerary together other than dealing with luggage? Thanks.

Try not to have separately booked tickets before and after a layover, whether with the same airline or different airlines.

With separately booked tickets there is a huge downside. If you get to the layover point too late and miss the next flight, you are out of luck and may have to buy a new ticket to your final destination.

Not a problem if the entire outgoing trip (including layover if needed) is one booking (itinerary) and the entire return is one booking.

Some airlines have cooperative arrangements (code sharing arrangements) with selected other airlines so it is possible to have one ticket booking with two different airlines for selected itineraries with layovers.

Last edited:
Following because we are looking at doing the same thing. Except, we may have our second flight the next day instead of same day.

Yes, the downside is something happens on the first flight which makes you miss the flight on the second airline. Then you are a no show, out the money for that flight, and stuck in an airport spending more money to get home.

One trip we had problems with 1st flight....then flew in a substitute plane and THAT one had problems.
This was a 2 flight day to NY state and it was Deltas responsibility to get us there-to our final destination
They put us on ANOTHER airline to get us there!
If we had booked 2 airlines we would have REALLY been up a creek

I don't think 3 hours would be enough time for my comfort.

Remember, you'll have to deplane, get your luggage from baggage claim, go check in at the other airline check in desk, then back through security. A delay in any of those and you're in trouble. And any one of those could be delayed very easily.

Add it any possible flight delays and you're out of luck.

Lots of possibilities for problems, how much risk are you willing to take? Either airline could change flight times leaving you SOL. Late first flight is obviously a potential issue - weather, mechanical, air traffic control, you name it. You'd probably want more than 3 hrs if you wanted to risk this. And using Allegiant would really concern me in this situation given they have such limited capacity and probably aren't flying your route every day. If there's a problem it may be several days before they can get you an another flight and then you would have do a last minute booking on JB.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

I don't think 3 hours would be enough time for my comfort.

Remember, you'll have to deplane, get your luggage from baggage claim, go check in at the other airline check in desk, then back through security. A delay in any of those and you're in trouble. And any one of those could be delayed very easily.

Add it any possible flight delays and you're out of luck.

This isn't quite correct. You can check in for both flights 24 hours before the flight, so not sure why you think you need to check in at the airport. It's possible that Allegiant will check your bags through; I have no idea if they have a baggage interline agreement with JetBlue.

I wouldn't book this myself. If there is an issue with Allegiant (who has limited flights), you will miss your JetBlue flight. This could ruin your entire trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter