• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Switch for Dining or no?

I know it saved us money on our last trip when we had it, but we did several character meals and buffets on that trip. If I was going solo or with just one other person I don't think I'd bother with it honestly. I have been considering just going to eat at AKL and checking out the animals again if I go with CSR. Honestly we could experience almost all of the resort without actually staying there except for the pool, and the pool at CSR looks pretty fun. The kids don't really know what they want to do other than the parks and swim, when I asked if the hotel choice or restaurant choices were more important to them, they first both said hotel but then elaborated that they meant "somewhere comfortable" because they thought I meant either "a good hotel or a dump" LOL. I'm going to find some pictures and show them tomorrow. I was worried CSR would be a lot more spread out (we are used to POFQ) but it doesn't look too horrible. Going to talk over with hubby some more when he gets home, so far he is leaning toward switching and taking the dining. As this is his first trip I'm thinking that may be the better option because then he can experience some of the nicer restaurants without me having to remind everyone to pinch pennies!

Just remember to figure in alcohol and the tip on all TS/character meals on the DDP. We have had the dining plan a couple of times. Once with the free dining offer and another with the bounce back offer. I think for our next trip I would take the resort discount instead of free dining. Since we had the dining plan we had dinner at nice resteraunts, including Narcoosees and The Yautsmans Steak house. I think between the alcohol and tips at those 2 locations we could have had 6 qs meals. :)

CS is very pretty, several pools, one of which is awesome and fun. Quick service is easy, with a tex-mex kind of twist, which I love. The resort is spread out and people complain about the size, but I didn't think it was worse than anywhere else. It had several bus stops so that walk was shorter than the one we had experienced at any value resort.
The rooms seemed nice enough to be at a deluxe, not kid themed at all, and 2 years ago everything seemed brand new. The door separating the sink area from the beds doesn't seem like a big deal, but it adds a lot more privacy for growing kids and adults than the curtain you normally get.
For as many rooms as there are the resort often seems empty since many guests are at conventions instead of going to the parks every morning.
Check out this fan site for more info and pics www.buzz2k1.wix.com/Coronado
Not sure how I missed this the first time, but thank you! We just checked out that link and my husband is really wanting to switch over now. Even though I can't get him to stop calling it "Colorado Springs" LOL

I think the values have rolling carts to help in transport but I don't believe I've ever seen porters.

I do not think that they do have porters.

I don't think the Values have any porters either but it's been a while since I stayed there.

One thing I just thought about: If I do go with the "free" dining, since my kids will be 10 and 13, they will get adult credits, right? Meaning they can't order off the kids' menu. Which is fine for my oldest, but the youngest is pretty picky. I'm not sure she would find something she would eat at every place, or if she did, it might be too big of a portion. We could always share a meal, but that wouldn't be a good use of credits either. Unless we just did all buffets for our TS meals...hmmm....

They are entitled to the adult section on the menu. They can order from the children's menu if that is what they want, but if that is the route they go, I woudl conside paying OOP for the kids meal and saving the adult credit for another meal. Look at the CS restaurants as well, and see how you could stretch the credits to gain two smaller meals by sharing. Even my DH and I shared a breakfast platter on occasion, as well as lunch, and that let him snack all over the World, every park!

If your children over 9 would prefer a child's meal instead of an adult one they are allowed to order it. It will be used as one credit either way.
Yes.

I know it saved us money on our last trip when we had it, but we did several character meals and buffets on that trip. If I was going solo or with just one other person I don't think I'd bother with it honestly. I have been considering just going to eat at AKL and checking out the animals again if I go with CSR. Honestly we could experience almost all of the resort without actually staying there except for the pool, and the pool at CSR looks pretty fun. The kids don't really know what they want to do other than the parks and swim, when I asked if the hotel choice or restaurant choices were more important to them, they first both said hotel but then elaborated that they meant "somewhere comfortable" because they thought I meant either "a good hotel or a dump" LOL. I'm going to find some pictures and show them tomorrow. I was worried CSR would be a lot more spread out (we are used to POFQ) but it doesn't look too horrible. Going to talk over with hubby some more when he gets home, so far he is leaning toward switching and taking the dining. As this is his first trip I'm thinking that may be the better option because then he can experience some of the nicer restaurants without me having to remind everyone to pinch pennies!

First, let me say that I did not really like CSR theming. ANd I cannto find one thing to say in complaint! I think that as a POFQ fan, I was also worried about the size of this resort, but it is not so widespread that the distances to and from the main building is horrible. It is not.

WE stayed there in December, and I must say that this was one of the prettiest moderate resorts in regards to the decorations. They were absolutely beautiful, understated and gorgeous.

The staff was courteous and friendly. The resort itself was impeccably groomed. While we were there the gardeners were cutting back the summer flowering plants all around the lake, and I think that was a huge job! There are flowering plants everywhere!

The room was spotless, the beds cozy. The mousekeeper noticed that three women used a lot of towels, and made sure there were plenty.

I think that if we had a longer stay, my favorite spot would have been by the pool. It is really a nice spot for swimming, and for relaxing. My DDIL and I had lunch there as well as morning coffee. It is pretty darn nice.

The only thing I regretted about that stay was being to cheap to book business class when it was available. That would have allowed access to the lounge and woudl have moved our room closer to the main building. I tried to secure it about a week after we booked, and no dice. It was nto available every time I called, and upon registering, I tried once again, making sure the CM knew I wanted to pay for the upgrade. You cannot buy what is not available.

Give it a shot, the kids will love this resort.

CSR is a great resort! Your kids will love the pool and slide. Just my personal opinion, but I would pick it over AKL. AKL seemed dark to me when we visited to go to Boma's and it just wasn't my thing. I love the theming at CSR. We've stayed there three times.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you switch. My family would love to stay at CSR but we're a family of 5 now (usually a family of 6 but our eldest is in college) and we don't fit at CSR.

In the past, we've been to POR, but it just isn't our style. We're thrilled that we can try CBR as some of their rooms sleep 5 now. The cheerful colors and tropical feel are more our style.

I do not think that they do have porters.

They are entitled to the adult section on the menu. They can order from the children's menu if that is what they want, but if that is the route they go, I woudl conside paying OOP for the kids meal and saving the adult credit for another meal. Look at the CS restaurants as well, and see how you could stretch the credits to gain two smaller meals by sharing. Even my DH and I shared a breakfast platter on occasion, as well as lunch, and that let him snack all over the World, every park!

Yes.

First, let me say that I did not really like CSR theming. ANd I cannto find one thing to say in complaint! I think that as a POFQ fan, I was also worried about the size of this resort, but it is not so widespread that the distances to and from the main building is horrible. It is not.

WE stayed there in December, and I must say that this was one of the prettiest moderate resorts in regards to the decorations. They were absolutely beautiful, understated and gorgeous.

The staff was courteous and friendly. The resort itself was impeccably groomed. While we were there the gardeners were cutting back the summer flowering plants all around the lake, and I think that was a huge job! There are flowering plants everywhere!

The room was spotless, the beds cozy. The mousekeeper noticed that three women used a lot of towels, and made sure there were plenty.

I think that if we had a longer stay, my favorite spot would have been by the pool. It is really a nice spot for swimming, and for relaxing. My DDIL and I had lunch there as well as morning coffee. It is pretty darn nice.

The only thing I regretted about that stay was being to cheap to book business class when it was available. That would have allowed access to the lounge and woudl have moved our room closer to the main building. I tried to secure it about a week after we booked, and no dice. It was nto available every time I called, and upon registering, I tried once again, making sure the CM knew I wanted to pay for the upgrade. You cannot buy what is not available.

Give it a shot, the kids will love this resort.
Good point about paying OOP if they want kids' meals at some places! Are the QS credits the ones you can convert to snacks if you don't end up using them all?

Good point about paying OOP if they want kids' meals at some places! Are the QS credits the ones you can convert to snacks if you don't end up using them all?

Yes, usually. I think there may be places that will not, but I do not know enough about it to say for sure.

For me that's easy, switch! One week (assuming 7 nights), even if you could keep your food costs around $100/day (eating only QS of course) saves you $200 right off the top. I love the freedom the dining plan provides. I wouldn't choose to eat as much as the dining plan provides but it's hard to ignore the cost savings ($60/person/night, you do the math)

I know not everyone agrees with me and that's OK but we don't go to Disney for the hotel, we go for the parks and my vacation is much less stressful when I don't have to fuss over the additional costs of food. If the kids want a mickey bar, they get a mickey bar. If I want the more expensive entree at a restaurant, that's what I get instead of getting another burger in an effort to save a few bucks. I am personally much more relaxed when that part of my vacation is taken care of.
I agree 100%!!

We love Coronado Springs. Check out Ithemepark's YouTube video, its really nice!

There's no way a family of four adults can eat for a week for $500, even if you ate nothing but cs. The DDP will also give you each a refill mug which is probably a $75 value.

Its a dilemma because AKL is a beautiful resort. But going on vacation knowing your meals are paid and eating where and what you want is very nice!

Check out the CSR FAQ thread. I might also suggest you request Cabanas. Good location to the main area snd the main pool.

First off, no matter what you decide, you're going to have a fabulous vacation!

I'm not sure how many nights you're staying, but assuming a week, I don't think you have any hope of really enjoying dining for the entire family for $500 for the week. And because you mention not having to worry about the cost of the meals as being a priority to you for those two reasons, I would vote for CSR w/the free dining.

CSR has beds, showers and all of the other amenities as AKL. If you weren't going to the parks every day and planned on a "resort vacation" then I'd stay put.

But it's a no brainer to make the switch. There is no way you can feed a family of 4 for a week for less than a $1,000 at Disney unless you committed to pizza and burgers. The dining plan rocks and gives you peace of mind.

Make the switch - you'll be glad you did!

If this was my dilemma - your post would have made my mind up to switch :)

There's zero chance I'd switch from a deluxe resort to a moderate and pay $500 more just to add the dining plan. AKL is a lovely resort and I'd just pay the extra for food, which probably won't be that much more than $500 over the course of the trip depending on how you eat. The dining plan is simply pre-paying for your food, and depending on how you eat often paying more than you would have spent otherwise.

And it says a lot about how much (or little) of a "deal" the latest dining offer is if you would pay more for DDP staying at a moderate compared to a deluxe.

We love Coronado Springs. Check out Ithemepark's YouTube video, its really nice!

There's no way a family of four adults can eat for a week for $500, even if you ate nothing but cs. The DDP will also give you each a refill mug which is probably a $75 value.

Its a dilemma because AKL is a beautiful resort. But going on vacation knowing your meals are paid and eating where and what you want is very nice!

Check out the CSR FAQ thread. I might also suggest you request Cabanas. Good location to the main area snd the main pool.

Thanks, I'll look for that video! I do know that the room is a Standard that's available with dining. Are the Cabanas standard? I briefly saw some pictures of the different sections and I preferred the look of the Casitas and Cabanas to the Ranchos. As far as location, i'm torn on whether to try to request to be closer to the pool or closer to a bus stop. I may not have much choice as far as location at this point though.

There's zero chance I'd switch from a deluxe resort to a moderate and pay $500 more just to add the dining plan. AKL is a lovely resort and I'd just pay the extra for food, which probably won't be that much more than $500 over the course of the trip depending on how you eat. The dining plan is simply pre-paying for your food, and depending on how you eat often paying more than you would have spent otherwise.

And it says a lot about how much (or little) of a "deal" the latest dining offer is if you would pay more for DDP staying at a moderate compared to a deluxe.

I plugged our info into the dining calculator and even after I deleted a couple of our TS choices and put mostly QS choices at never more than 2 meals per day, it calculated over $850 with tax and tips. As for the cost difference, I think I already posted it but the reason it costs more is because I got a fantastic room discount at AKL. I would be paying either $2500 for 6 nights and 5 day park tickets at AKL, or $3000 at CSR for the same amount of nights and tickets and dining. I don't really understand how they figure the pricing because All Star Music would be a little more expensive than CSR! But it seems that it will end up costing more at AKL once you add in food. My kids still want to do some character meals and this may be the last time for that since the youngest will be 10 by our trip and we probably won't be able to go back for a few years at least. And character meals OOP are expensive. I will be a little sad if we don't stay at AKL, but it's on my list for one day (hopefully), and when I really think about it and talk to my family, I don't know how much time we will spend at the resort each day, and they all seem to be more concerned about food. LOL. Thanks for all the replies! Now I have to get my park days nailed down and more decisions to agonize about! :P

Last edited:
Yeah I'm flipping my vote. As much as I love AKV, I love dining even more. Dining, especially TS is getting more expensive every year. Knowing I get to stay at CS and I get my Cape May, Ohana, Crystal Palace, and Boma...that's enough to get me "Out of Africa" to the "Land of Enchantment." Not sure if you mentioned already OP, are you already within the 180 day mark for ADR's? Depending how close you are to trip, you may not be able to get good adr's still.

I would book CS because having a great sit down dinner everynight and ordering what you want, AND getting a table service and snack for everyone everyday would be more important then staying in a nicer resort, especially when so little time is spent at the resort. Our family loves a nice sit down dinner at the great restaurants at Disney. We LOVE free dining.

CS is my favorite moderate and free dining is nice but we own at AKV and you will really enjoy that resort... especially if you have a Savannah room. I wouldn't give up AKV either way. It's African, it's remote and they have great pool areas. And get yourself a BOMA reservation if you haven't already. Great Meal!

Yes, but a sit down boma meal will cost them around $180? I am guessing its around $45 for dinner? Too expensive to pay oop for dinner. Free dining lets you make these type of reservations because the meals are included.

Yeah I'm flipping my vote. As much as I love AKV, I love dining even more. Dining, especially TS is getting more expensive every year. Knowing I get to stay at CS and I get my Cape May, Ohana, Crystal Palace, and Boma...that's enough to get me "Out of Africa" to the "Land of Enchantment." Not sure if you mentioned already OP, are you already within the 180 day mark for ADR's? Depending how close you are to trip, you may not be able to get good adr's still.

HA, you sound like me, constantly flipping my vote too. After much deliberating and talking and a family vote, we did decide to switch to "Colorado Springs" as my husband calls it. It was really the girls requesting some character meals that really tipped it for the dining, and my hubby is in love with the pictures of the pyramid pool LOL.

I am already in my 180, and I do have some ADRs already made, though I don't think I'm hanging onto them all. Still not 100% sure on my park days, especially since we had to add hoppers on the tickets to get the dining, and I've NEVER hopped before so if I actually use them that makes it complicated for me again. What I would like to do is not really PLAN on hopping, but maybe use it as a backup plan if a park is too crowded or closes early or something.

Bullseye, here is what I have so far. Please feel free to help or comment!

Sunday: Arrival day, nothing scheduled because not sure when we will arrive. Probably either just hang at the resort or Disney Springs

Monday: Lunch at Mama Melrose with the Fantasmic! package

Tuesday: Pre-park opening breakfast at Crystal Palace, lunch at BoG. Not sure I want to keep these this way. I had CP scheduled before I got the dining plan as breakfasts are usually cheaper OOP and I have never gotten a pre-park entry, but I don't know if it is worth it? We have eaten at CP and enjoyed the food but it was for lunch, never breakfast. Also had BoG scheduled before I got the dining plan, but really we (well, I) just wanted to experience the restaurant itself and try the Grey Stuff. Not sure if we will actually use it for lunch now but I'm worried we may not be very hungry by then if we keep CP and eat a lot.

Wednesday: 10:45 breakfast at Tusker House, 6:45 dinner at Yak & Yeti (TS). Not totally sure on these either. Never been to either and I've been wanting to try Y&Y for a while. TH I keep seeing everyone rave about the breakfast. Doesn't it switch to lunch around 11? Worried we may miss the breakfast food. I'm not sure about that time either, seems like it may cut into good park time but maybe not. Also may need to change it to dinner if the Jungle Book dining package is released soon. But we also love Flame Tree...lol I need help here.

Thursday: Booked a 2pm at Crystal Palace because we liked the lunch food, the characters, and I wasn't sure if we are keeping the breakfast. Also wasn't sure if our extra park day would even be used for MK or not.

Friday: pre-park opening breakfast at Garden Grill. Never eaten here.

Saturday: Departure day :( breakfast at O'hana. Never eaten here either, the kids are requesting Lilo & Stitch.

I know that's more TS credits than we will have. I really need to figure out the MK and AK days and eliminate something. My girls have also mentioned wanting to go back to Akershus, which we have done before and loved. I did find some random times available for that one, but I just need to do some figuring and pruning. Is it true you don't get the picture with Belle anymore?

There are standard rooms in Cabanas as well as the other two sections. We have stayed in Cabanas and Ranchos. I enjoyed them both. I was initially bummed about Ranchos but we ended up loving it! We were very close to the Dig Site pool. Cabanas was nice, we were close to the main pool but a little closer to the main area than we had been.

To me CSR is an easy resort to navigate around. I know its spread out, but we like that. It never feels crowded.

Yes, but a sit down boma meal will cost them around $180? I am guessing its around $45 for dinner? Too expensive to pay oop for dinner. Free dining lets you make these type of reservations because the meals are included.

I know, I already flipped my vote in post #75. That's the kicker, just a few TS meals will more than make up the additional $500 being paid at CS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter