Swine flu six days before leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobie61

Designated Family Disney Planner
I dont believe this, I planned this trip for 8 months, 6 days before we leave my daughter comes home with the swine flu.

The Damn piggy flu lands in my house with 6 days to go....:scared1:

OMG: Hopefully if no one else comes down with it, we'll still be able to make the trip. Keep your fingers crossed and send the prayers our way.

I did purchase trip insurance through AAA, hopefully it will cover our expenses in the event we have to cancel this trip. I've got MNSSHP tickets for Halloween night and all.

I needed to vent somewhere, i figured this board would be a good spot to vent.

We were so looking forward to our first stay at Wilderness Lodge. I'm still hopeful we will be able to make the trip.

Thanks for listening.

Don't take a chance with a possible relaspe by trying to push it too quickly....AND if you do decide to go ask your physician first. Don't risk exposing others in your desire to notiss the trip... Swine flu can kill the very precious ones who want to be there just like you guys!!!

Isolation, isolation and tamaflu and you all should be okay!!! I will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way. I hope that your little girl has an easy go of it.

Your daughter has actually been tested positive? Here in Canada unless you are basically hospitalized they will not do a test, but will "diagnose" over the phone and tell you to stay home. If you are tested positive there are very serious isolation and hygeine rules to follow. Is this not the case in the US?

We do not have such isolation rules in the US though I wish we did. As far as the little one with Swine flu she is contagious for 7 days after the outbreak of her symptoms or up until 48 hrs that she has been afebrile without antipyretics (tylenol, motrin, etc), whichever is longer.

Plus I am not so sure, if she has tested positive for swine flu, that she would feel much like enjoying Disney World.

I know it is a terrible disappointment, but postponing the trip may be best for all.

She didnt test positive, but the doctor said more than likely it is the swine flu. It is all over South Jersey Schools.

They wouldn't even consider giving Tamiflu, and we begged.

Your daughter has actually been tested positive? Here in Canada unless you are basically hospitalized they will not do a test, but will "diagnose" over the phone and tell you to stay home. If you are tested positive there are very serious isolation and hygeine rules to follow. Is this not the case in the US?

It is, if you follow doctor's orders. Everyone I know that has had it, as been told to follow isolation and hygiene rules. I would not be considering a trip anywhere.

To the OP some pediatricians are not giving tamaflu to children but I certainly would hope he or she would advise you to postpone your trip.

As a PP stated we do not have such isolation rules. However, OP should do whats best for her daughter. Our ped goes along with CDC's recommendations...once you are fever free for 24 hours without the use of tylenol, motrin, etc. you are no longer contagious. The MD told me, that I should expect to see symptoms (if I were to get it...which I did) within 5 days. Otherwise, I should be good to go. DD although positive never had any symptons.

DD, DS, and myself all had H1N1 last week. Actually, we all had Type A influenza...which is what the flu test (qtip like swab up the nose and results ready in 10 minutes) tests for. It cannot distinguish between the various type A influenzas including novel type A (which is H1N1). The two FDA approved tests take much longer than a day and most MD offices are not using those tests. The MDs are just assuming its H1N1.

Fortunately, H1N1 is not as severe as regular influenza...this is what we experienced and what the MD was telling us as well. DD who is 5 had no symptoms. She had no cough, no fever, no sore throat, no aches, no stomach distress, etc. MD tested her just because she was in the exam room with us. I had a runny nose...no fever. And in our area, where H1N1 is running rampant...the majority of the people don't even realize they have it. And I would not have thought that we did either. My son had a 99 low grade fever...which happens on a weekly basis for him...and I don't even consider that low grade...I consider that more on the normal side. We happen to be in the office for another reason.

I would just wait and see...she could be all better by tomorrow...which then would still give her an extra several days to be sure. But, please do whats best for your family.

They wouldn't give you Tamiflu? What in the world did they give her, then?

I have to say that DH and I both tested positive for swine flu a week ago today. DH is fine now. But, he was on bed rest and could barely move for 5 days. He finished out his Tamiflu, and he's still on other medications. But, he gets worn out VERY easily right now.

Me, I've had all of the complications that go along with it. I've got asthma, so I've developed a horrible case of bronchitis and a severe kidney infection because of the amount of medication being pumped through me. They've kept me over night twice in the ER already, and I'm living on at-home breathing treatments with a ton of steroids. My heart is pounding out of my chest from all of the steroids and other meds, and I feel even worse because I can't sit long enough to rest. (Too jittery from the medication.)

I have to say that if your little one gets anywhere near what I'm going through, you need to re-schedule. She wouldn't enjoy this trip at all, and you don't want to expose her immune system to any other diseases going around. Her immune system is going to be weak for a while even after she gets over this. Plus, out of kindness to others, don't expose other people to it, either. This flu is killing people; it's not something to take lightly.

There are so many complications that can arise from swine flu, which I'm experiencing the hard way. You don't want to risk lives (especially now that your whole family is exposed; it's very contagious) for a trip. If you can re-schedule, do so and enjoy the trip when it comes around.

I know my doctor told me not to leave the house until at least Monday, which will be 10 days after I was first diagnosed. Even then, my lungs are so raw on the inside from everything (I've seen the images; it's horribly gross) that it's going to take weeks for the bronchitis to finally go away. I'm currently hoping that they're somewhat back to normal for our trip, and that's still 40 days out.

Let your little one rest, and don't push your family. Being there in the long run, even with different plans, is what matters.

And to the other poster that said swine flu isn't as serious as the other flu, I have to disagree as do all of the doctors that I've been seeing. I've had both, and this has been far worse on my asthma than the other - which is what is happening to most people that are dealing with loss because of H1N1. There is so much unknown about H1N1 because it's so new; I'd hate to see people not take it seriously and things turn out for the worse.

So sorry to hear this - hope your daughter is feeling better soon and the rest of you don't get it.
I'd say to give it 2-3 more days and then make the decision, see how she is doing and the rest of you, and if not, then cancel and thank goodness you have the trip insurance.

I'm very concerned about my family coming down with the swine flu, in general, but also with the same thing you're dealing with, what if get it and can't do our upcoming trip or start coming down with it when we are there.

Our trip this past August - we all ended up being sick. 2 days before we left my son had a fever of 103 out of nowhere. Nothing else wrong with him, just feverish and very tired. over next day, he improved, fever went down, just a slight temperature the next day or two, like 100. No other symptoms. Left for our trip, he was fine and fever-free.

So we get to Disney.... on day 3 of our trip, his twin sister comes down with a fever. She still kept up just fine and did the parks - gave her Tylenol, 20 minutes or so later her fever was lowered and her spirits were up and good to go. Only other symptom she had was a pain in her stomach when we'd walk fast - like end of the night leaving to head to the buses.
Day 5 - other daughter came down with the fever. No other symptoms, but same thing she complained, a pain in her stomach/side when walking fast.
Day 6 - my turn! slight fever - but wow, oddly had that same pain in the side and thought THIS is what they were complaining of. Felt like a stitch/cramp in your side.
None of us had a cough or sore throat - just fever.

Even though we were there in the August heat - when you see our pictures you can tell which one currently had a fever - they'd be the one wearing a jacket saying they were chilly.

I'd like to hope we all had H1N1 and got it over with and outta the way, but am doubting it.

But I'd say hang in there a couple days and see how she is - and hoping the poor thing feels better soon!

Sorry to hear this...I am totally paranoid about this happening.

For those not paying attention, the CDC has said the Swine Flu is basically "The" Flu right now...they randomly test people showing Flu-symptoms, and 99+% of all Flu victims right now have H1N1. Fortunately (and actually unsurprisingly) most people that get it will be OK. The fact is in many ways, Swine Flu is just another Flu virus...about 30,000 to 40,000 people a year die from flu and flu related illnesses in the US...mostly eldery and small children.

My advice is follow all precautions recommended...try to avoid contact to spread it through your family. If your daughter seems to be feeling better and the rest of your family is symptom free by the time you are scheduled to leave, then go ahead...but again, do your best to avoid spreading it to others on your trip. (Lots of hand santitizer, avoid touching things such as hand-rails.) WDW is a germ-fest as it is (my DW caught Chicken Pox there in 2000) you don't need to add to it.

So sorry to hear this - hope your daughter is feeling better soon and the rest of you don't get it.
I'd say to give it 2-3 more days and then make the decision, see how she is doing and the rest of you, and if not, then cancel and thank goodness you have the trip insurance.

I'm very concerned about my family coming down with the swine flu, in general, but also with the same thing you're dealing with, what if get it and can't do our upcoming trip or start coming down with it when we are there.

Our trip this past August - we all ended up being sick. 2 days before we left my son had a fever of 103 out of nowhere. Nothing else wrong with him, just feverish and very tired. over next day, he improved, fever went down, just a slight temperature the next day or two, like 100. No other symptoms. Left for our trip, he was fine and fever-free.

So we get to Disney.... on day 3 of our trip, his twin sister comes down with a fever. She still kept up just fine and did the parks - gave her Tylenol, 20 minutes or so later her fever was lowered and her spirits were up and good to go. Only other symptom she had was a pain in her stomach when we'd walk fast - like end of the night leaving to head to the buses.
Day 5 - other daughter came down with the fever. No other symptoms, but same thing she complained, a pain in her stomach/side when walking fast.
Day 6 - my turn! slight fever - but wow, oddly had that same pain in the side and thought THIS is what they were complaining of. Felt like a stitch/cramp in your side.
None of us had a cough or sore throat - just fever.

Even though we were there in the August heat - when you see our pictures you can tell which one currently had a fever - they'd be the one wearing a jacket saying they were chilly.

I'd like to hope we all had H1N1 and got it over with and outta the way, but am doubting it.

But I'd say hang in there a couple days and see how she is - and hoping the poor thing feels better soon!

This is my biggest pet peeve right now.FLAME AWAY but this is why there are whole threads about people comming home sick...
as for the OP no way should she take her family if there is h1n1 in the house..think of all the kids that are there trying to have fun, the MAW KIDS that have weak immune systems and they waited to get their "WISH" and get h1n1 because of all the peole that know they have it and go anyway because they feel they deserve to go!I am sorry and it may make me a witch but oh well but I could not do that.

She didnt test positive, but the doctor said more than likely it is the swine flu. It is all over South Jersey Schools.

They wouldn't even consider giving Tamiflu, and we begged.

There is a pending national shortage of Tamiflu and Relenza. They will NOT give it to anyone anymore unless they have an exisiting medical history that would cause the FLu to require hospitalization,etc. I am sorry your trip may be postponed.I am worried too that the same thing may happen for my Dec trip.

Right now that is the approach we are taking. We are planning on waiting to Tuesday or Wednesday before we make the decision.

Two weeks ago, my DS10 had a fever of 103 for about 36 hours. It did go down with Tylenol. The day before the fever began, he said his leg hurt. These were the only symptoms he ever showed. His doctor said it was swine flu, even though he wasn't tested. It turned out several other boys from his swim team had the exact same symptoms that week. Once his fever was gone, he insisted he felt fine. However, after that, he had a pretty bad week. He was just not himself (irritable, argumentative). Looking back, we think he was just really fatigued. Thankfully, no one else in the family got it.

My point here is that even though kids say they feel fine, they don't really know their bodies and have as much experience with being sick as adults do. They feel better, so they think they can just go back to their normal routines with no problems. But we know it takes a while before you are 100%. A Disney vacation is exhausting in itself, for completely healthy children. It could be too much for one recovering from the flu.

I'm so sorry you are having to face this right now.

They wouldn't give you Tamiflu? What in the world did they give her, then?

I have to say that DH and I both tested positive for swine flu a week ago today. DH is fine now. But, he was on bed rest and could barely move for 5 days. He finished out his Tamiflu, and he's still on other medications. But, he gets worn out VERY easily right now.

Me, I've had all of the complications that go along with it. I've got asthma, so I've developed a horrible case of bronchitis and a severe kidney infection because of the amount of medication being pumped through me. They've kept me over night twice in the ER already, and I'm living on at-home breathing treatments with a ton of steroids. My heart is pounding out of my chest from all of the steroids and other meds, and I feel even worse because I can't sit long enough to rest. (Too jittery from the medication.)

I have to say that if your little one gets anywhere near what I'm going through, you need to re-schedule. She wouldn't enjoy this trip at all, and you don't want to expose her immune system to any other diseases going around. Her immune system is going to be weak for a while even after she gets over this. Plus, out of kindness to others, don't expose other people to it, either. This flu is killing people; it's not something to take lightly.

There are so many complications that can arise from swine flu, which I'm experiencing the hard way. You don't want to risk lives (especially now that your whole family is exposed; it's very contagious) for a trip. If you can re-schedule, do so and enjoy the trip when it comes around.

I know my doctor told me not to leave the house until at least Monday, which will be 10 days after I was first diagnosed. Even then, my lungs are so raw on the inside from everything (I've seen the images; it's horribly gross) that it's going to take weeks for the bronchitis to finally go away. I'm currently hoping that they're somewhat back to normal for our trip, and that's still 40 days out.

Let your little one rest, and don't push your family. Being there in the long run, even with different plans, is what matters.

And to the other poster that said swine flu isn't as serious as the other flu, I have to disagree as do all of the doctors that I've been seeing. I've had both, and this has been far worse on my asthma than the other - which is what is happening to most people that are dealing with loss because of H1N1. There is so much unknown about H1N1 because it's so new; I'd hate to see people not take it seriously and things turn out for the worse.

You have an underlying medical condition...that is why H1N1 is more severe for you...just like pneumonia...you will most likely get a more severe case than those who are healthy. Fortunately, in our area, we have one of the better medical systems...the doctors are diagnosing it early...and are able to prescribe Tamiflu (it only works as a preventative if you do not have symptoms or within the first 48 hours of the onset of the symptons). If the MD feels you are past that point, they probably won't be prescribing it at that point.

There is so much hysteria over H1N1...everyone needs to educate themselves. It is the flu...it is a different strain...there are so many strains out there...even the regular seasonal flu shot does not cover all the strains (the flu season of 204/05 attested to this)...it only covers what they think are going to be the predominent strains for that season.

The media only portrays the worse cases...and do you blame them...it would be pretty boring to watch that John Smith, age 30, has H1N1, no fever, a cough and back at work within 48 hours.

I am not taking this illness very lightly as I do not take any illness very lightly...but so far, based on the research and the numbers I am seeing we are just watching another strain of the flu. Yes, those wo have other helath conditions should be careful...just like the same precautions they would take with any other illness, especially if its respiratory in nature.

Also, going to DW should be the least of your concerns. If anyone goes to their MD, goes to get gas for their car, goes grocery shopping at the store, sends their kids to school, participates, in a club/hobby with other people, goes to restuarants, etc...you are subjecting yourself to any type of illness...its every where.

I hope your daughter is feeling better.

You have an underlying medical condition...that is why H1N1 is more severe for you...just like pneumonia...you will most likely get a more severe case than those who are healthy. Fortunately, in our area, we have one of the better medical systems...the doctors are diagnosing it early...and are able to prescribe Tamiflu (it only works as a preventative if you do not have symptoms or within the first 48 hours of the onset of the symptons). If the MD feels you are past that point, they probably won't be prescribing it at that point.

There is so much hysteria over H1N1...everyone needs to educate themselves. It is the flu...it is a different strain...there are so many strains out there...even the regular seasonal flu shot does not cover all the strains (the flu season of 204/05 attested to this)...it only covers what they think are going to be the predominent strains for that season.

The media only portrays the worse cases...and do you blame them...it would be pretty boring to watch that John Smith, age 30, has H1N1, no fever, a cough and back at work within 48 hours.

I am not taking this illness very lightly as I do not take any illness very lightly...but so far, based on the research and the numbers I am seeing we are just watching another strain of the flu. Yes, those wo have other helath conditions should be careful...just like the same precautions they would take with any other illness, especially if its respiratory in nature.

Also, going to DW should be the least of your concerns. If anyone goes to their MD, goes to get gas for their car, goes grocery shopping at the store, sends their kids to school, participates, in a club/hobby with other people, goes to restuarants, etc...you are subjecting yourself to any type of illness...its every where.

I hope your daughter is feeling better.

If jon smith went back to work in 48 hours of getting swine flu then he is passing it to others who may get a worse case...just because it may be mild for one person it may be worse for 10 others! My ds12
had h1n1 (per cdc test) and he was really really sick and a healthy kids other wise..they treated our whole family with tamiflu as a preventive...yes it is a flu but it cause worse infections after.

There is a pending national shortage of Tamiflu and Relenza. They will NOT give it to anyone anymore unless they have an exisiting medical history that would cause the FLu to require hospitalization,etc. I am sorry your trip may be postponed.I am worried too that the same thing may happen for my Dec trip.

we got tamiflu for the whole family with no problem when my ds12 had h1n1..it worked none of us got it.just like with the vaccine it depends where you are at that the shotage is worse...we have had the vaccine here for weeks with no trouble finding it...the same for tamiflu

This is my biggest pet peeve right now.FLAME AWAY but this is why there are whole threads about people comming home sick...
as for the OP no way should she take her family if there is h1n1 in the house..think of all the kids that are there trying to have fun, the MAW KIDS that have weak immune systems and they waited to get their "WISH" and get h1n1 because of all the peole that know they have it and go anyway because they feel they deserve to go!I am sorry and it may make me a witch but oh well but I could not do that.

I agree with you.

TO OP, if in a few days your daughter is still not feeling up to par I would use the trip insurance. Better to cancel than spend your vacation in your room nursing your family back into better health. I would also worry if flying that they might not allow you to board if someone is too sick. How many threads have been written by moms whose family got sick once they got to Disney. Its better to be home that way you know where your doctor is and the nearest hospital (praying that it doesn't come to that) but we have all seen the stories on the news or read them in the newspaper. Its scary.

To HeatherBelle, I hope you get better soon. You are in my prayers. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter