Swine Flu at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son had the swine flu a few months ago and I was pretty nervous the whole time. He has a history of respitory problems and had RSV and pnuemonia when he was an infant. We were lucky and he caught a mild strand. We also started the tamiflu within a few hours of the fever and I think that made a huge difference. We kept him home from daycare for 7 days even though the fever broke on day 3. We didn't want to risk spreading it at all.

I have seen so many posts regarding the "Swine Flu" on different messaging boards, and have wondered how many people really know the different distinctions of Influenza. Some nurses that have already posted, are probably well aware of the distinctions as they see this stuff pretty much consistently during the cold and flu season, but I have never seen someone come out and explain things further so here we go. There are pretty much three (1) Influenzavirus A (2) Influenza virus B and (3) Influenza virus C, based on different readings there looks to be about five but we are typically only affected by the first two listed above. The first one Influenza virus A has two proteins which are found on it which make up the H and N:

(1) Hemagglutinin - H
(2) Neuraminidase - N

There are 16 different H subtypes and 9 different N subtypes, which commonly only H1, H2 and H3 are found in humans including N1 and N2. The word commonly is important because you could get other types of Inluenzavirus A, but basically the common ones we get are:

H1N1
H1N2
H2N1
H2N2
H3N1
H3N2

Now, those are only six of the sereotypes humans commonly get, but it doesn't mean you could not get some others that are out there. If you attempt to figure out all the combinations above, and if my math is right your looking at 144 types of possible Influenza A:

influenzavirusa.jpg

There have been a few posts on many sites where I have seen that people have not been swabbed, and for a doctor to say someone has "Swine Flu" would be inaccurate unless it could be confirmed. Many of the different types of Influenza A viruses have very similar symptoms across the board. Similar to another poster it makes me wonder the accuracy of the reported "Swine Flu" cases, especially if a doctor has reported it without swabbing someone and definitely confirming it first. I would presume that this has happened too out in the medical fields.

The Influenzavirus B has only one species, but can have many different strains to it. Because this virus isn't passed among many species, and typically people have formed an immunity to it already, there usually insn't a pandemic.

Although, I listed Influenza virus C above, its honestly not worth mentioning or going into detail since its typically pretty mild.

The wikipedia has some information on it, but I have found some other sites that explain the different types very well. I recommend reading more about it, and make sure you get swabbed to definitely determine if thats the type virus you have. I am sure some previous posters who are nurses, or doctors, or even studying for their doctrates could go into more detail....but the bottom line is that there are so many Influenza A type viruses, if your not swabbed then you don't really know what you have, most of the time the doctors are assuming based on what is prevalent in the area. That does drive me crazy though, since they should be taking the time to really identify it for sure, but that is another debatable thread all together. The Influenza vaccine also only covers a small amount of the Influenza virus, and not all the 144 serotypes are covered above, you can look any many sites about the Influenza vaccine, but here is some information from the wikie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccine I recommend also looking at CDC, WebMD or any other health sites where you can find out with types of Influenza are covered. Oh, and lets not get into the Rhinovirus, another totally seperate thread :)

No they never gave me one.I think a few of my friends got sick as well but there was no throwing up or anything just coughs.

I'm surprised as an adult you didn't see how serious your being ill was to other people. There are many families that go to disney and there cruises with illness and weakened immune systems. If someone who is of ill health had crossed your path and gotten infected it could have been a very lethal illness for them possibly leading to worsening health effects or even death.

To make light of it and say you just walked around a cruise while infected is just irresponsible.

I'd also like to point out that the vaccine isn't that safe.Quite a few people have had health problems bc of the H1N1 vaccine.

You should be more specific and not spread fear...People who have never received a flu vaccine should be careful of taking this one because they may have a reaction to the actual ingredients used in the vaccine but they would have a reaction to regular flu vaccine also. If someone is of a weakened immune system or has other underlying issues they should get regular flu shot h1n1 flu shot and pneumonia vaccine since getting any of those viruses can be life threatening for them.

Evi said:
I'm surprised as an adult you didn't see how serious your being ill was to other people. There are many families that go to disney and there cruises with illness and weakened immune systems. If someone who is of ill health had crossed your path and gotten infected it could have been a very lethal illness for them possibly leading to worsening health effects or even death.

To make light of it and say you just walked around a cruise while infected is just irresponsible.

I have read all the posts, and would agree that cancelling the trip probably would have been the best bet, especially since he knew he had some sort of virus. Although, I know there are many families with illness and weakened immune systems that go to WDW, and want to enjoy it similar to the rest of us. Magic Kingdom having attendances from 25,000-80,000 (a guess probably could be more at times), would you think that being inside a park with such large crowds would be good for someone with illnesses or weakened immune systems? Honestly, I don't know the answer I am just throwing that out there since there are so many people attending that any one of those thousands of people could be coming down with a virus and not know about. Therefore could be passing it onto these attendees with weakened immune systems or illness. Pretty much every visit I end up coming down with some sort of cold or virus...Plus, Lets not discuss the circulated air on an airplane while heading down to WDW :sick:

I have seen so many posts regarding the "Swine Flu" on different messaging boards, and have wondered how many people really know the different distinctions of Influenza. Some nurses that have already posted, are probably well aware of the distinctions as they see this stuff pretty much consistently during the cold and flu season, but I have never seen someone come out and explain things further so here we go. There are pretty much three (1) Influenzavirus A (2) Influenza virus B and (3) Influenza virus C, based on different readings there looks to be about five but we are typically only affected by the first two listed above. The first one Influenza virus A has two proteins which are found on it which make up the H and N:

(1) Hemagglutinin - H
(2) Neuraminidase - N

There are 16 different H subtypes and 9 different N subtypes, which commonly only H1, H2 and H3 are found in humans including N1 and N2. The word commonly is important because you could get other types of Inluenzavirus A, but basically the common ones we get are:

H1N1
H1N2
H2N1
H2N2
H3N1
H3N2

Now, those are only six of the sereotypes humans commonly get, but it doesn't mean you could not get some others that are out there. If you attempt to figure out all the combinations above, and if my math is right your looking at 144 types of possible Influenza A:

influenzavirusa.jpg

There have been a few posts on many sites where I have seen that people have not been swabbed, and for a doctor to say someone has "Swine Flu" would be inaccurate unless it could be confirmed. Many of the different types of Influenza A viruses have very similar symptoms across the board. Similar to another poster it makes me wonder the accuracy of the reported "Swine Flu" cases, especially if a doctor has reported it without swabbing someone and definitely confirming it first. I would presume that this has happened too out in the medical fields.

The Influenzavirus B has only one species, but can have many different strains to it. Because this virus isn't passed among many species, and typically people have formed an immunity to it already, there usually insn't a pandemic.

Although, I listed Influenza virus C above, its honestly not worth mentioning or going into detail since its typically pretty mild.

The wikipedia has some information on it, but I have found some other sites that explain the different types very well. I recommend reading more about it, and make sure you get swabbed to definitely determine if thats the type virus you have. I am sure some previous posters who are nurses, or doctors, or even studying for their doctrates could go into more detail....but the bottom line is that there are so many Influenza A type viruses, if your not swabbed then you don't really know what you have, most of the time the doctors are assuming based on what is prevalent in the area. That does drive me crazy though, since they should be taking the time to really identify it for sure, but that is another debatable thread all together. The Influenza vaccine also only covers a small amount of the Influenza virus, and not all the 144 serotypes are covered above, you can look any many sites about the Influenza vaccine, but here is some information from the wikie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccine I recommend also looking at CDC, WebMD or any other health sites where you can find out with types of Influenza are covered. Oh, and lets not get into the Rhinovirus, another totally seperate thread :)

I didn't want to get scientific and go as in depth as you did, but I whole heartedly agree with everything you've said! Big thumbs up from me.

I have read all the posts, and would agree that cancelling the trip probably would have been the best bet, especially since he knew he had some sort of virus. Although, I know there are many families with illness and weakened immune systems that go to WDW, and want to enjoy it similar to the rest of us. Magic Kingdom having attendances from 25,000-80,000 (a guess probably could be more at times), would you think that being inside a park with such large crowds would be good for someone with illnesses or weakened immune systems? Honestly, I don't know the answer I am just throwing that out there since there are so many people attending that any one of those thousands of people could be coming down with a virus and not know about. Therefore could be passing it onto these attendees with weakened immune systems or illness. Pretty much every visit I end up coming down with some sort of cold or virus...Plus, Lets not discuss the circulated air on an airplane while heading down to WDW :sick:

I agree with what your saying but as an adult to be diagnosed with an illness and know that he infected his friends so he knew he was viral and just went walking around on a cruise vs canceling is just bad in my opinion. Thats what trip insurance is for.

Evi said:
I agree with what your saying but as an adult to be diagnosed with an illness and know that he infected his friends so he knew he was viral and just went walking around on a cruise vs canceling is just bad in my opinion. Thats what trip insurance is for.

:thumbsup2 I completely agree with you regarding cancelling, and honestly our family almost had to cancel an upcoming trip because of surgery complications which should have been 100% healed before the trip. Unfortunately, Family member had to go through many different procedures and the initial surgery a second time, and one of my concerns was the cost of cancelling since we didn't purchase insurance. In my opinion, I prefer to eat the one night reservation cost and cancel at the very last moment, but there are many who don't want to lose anything (The plane fares are usually the worst with cancellations, but that is a long story too...Grrr!) Unfortunately, with the cold or flu that can be everybody's elses loss as its passed around especially when you have been tested for it. I think when you go to a place as large as Walt Disney World, and with the millions of people who visit every year its hard to sometimes not get some sort of cold or flu. The folks who are just starting to get it into their system and aren't showing symptoms could be just as contagious if not more sometimes. Just make sure you bring your clorox wipes, vitamin C, hand sanitizer and anything else to help a possible prevention. The good news is we are still going, but may have to rent an ECV...Already contacted place about it, and they have been very helpful and accomodating, but we will see how things go the first day we are down there.

I have never gotten vaccinated for the flu and I have never had the flu. This year however, I do believe I had the swince flu. Although I was never tested. I had the high fever and bad headache everyone talks about. It lasted 3 days and I was fine. I also fall into the category of people they say "should" get vaccinated. Also, you have to get the 2 swine flu vaccines several weeks apart. It is not just one. It is followed up with a 2nd one weeks later.

Only children get 2 doses of the H1n1 vaccine. adults only get 1

I have not read all the posts but here it goes...

1. If you know you have swine flu (or any flu for that matter) and you go out into public...well...I have some choice words for people like you that are not allowed on these boards
2. The swine flu vaccine does NOT require 2 shots for everyone. 2 doses have only been recommended for children. I am on the waiting list for the swine flu at my immunologists office and at 20 she said I do not need 2 doses
3. The difference between the people dying form swine flu and seasonal flu is that more HEALTHY people are dying from swine flu than is normal for flu complications. The majority of the people who die from seasonal flu are elderly and/or have underlying conditions

Do i think some people are going overboard with swine flu fear...yes. The masks on the plane, disinfecting everything, etc. might be going overboard.
BUT...people who take no precautions and knowingly go out in public and infect others...well all i can say is...karmas a witch

AND just because you are vaccinated does not mean you will not get it. You will most likely get a milder case of the flu or swine flu. Studies also show the virus can not replicate itself in an acidic enviornment. Taking vit c everyday will create this type of enviornment in your body. I personally would rather go that route. My mother and my son were around me when I was sick and they did not get sick. They also were taking 2000mg of Vit C everyday. During the time I was sick I was having some stomach issues and my galbladder was not happy so I was not taking them and I was also not sleeping right. My body was stressed. I am not surprised I became sick to be honest.

Okay...this whole thing with vitamin C. Yes it can potentially help boost your immune system BUT 1. It is possibe to overdose on vitamin C. The tolerable upper intake level for an ADULT female is 2,000mg per day. It is not recommended for anyone to intake more than 2,000mg per day 2. for the majority of healthy people, vitamin C supplements are pointless...you get what you need from your daily diet

I've asked my doctors and my nutritionist many times about Vitamin C supplements since I have so many underlying conditioins. They always ask what my daily diet is like and when i list what I eat on a normal basis they said absolutely not. Eat a balanced diet with fruits and vegetables, you will get enough viatmin C
Basically what I'm saying, is that if you think taking Vitamin C might help...please go talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about it first. It's rare but it can be dangerous.

Unless you're told by a doctor, most people dont need supplements. Thats why the most recommended way to stay healthy is eat a balanced diet, exercise adn get enough sleep.

PP...i'm not saying that the Vitamin C might not have helped a little bit but personally, I would not recommend that over getting the flu shot. Its not the same thing in any stretch of the imagination

I'd also like to point out that the vaccine isn't that safe.Quite a few people have had health problems bc of the H1N1 vaccine.

Where did you get this info from? Hopefully it's not You Tube or Wikipedia...

In fact, the opposite has been proven thus far. Out of millions of doses worldwide, there haven't been that many serious or deadly reactions at all. Anything you consume or put on your body can be problematic: Tylenol, food, drink, sunscreen, etc. Reactions can, and do happen for no reason - I have allergies/sensitivies, so I can attest to this. This needs to be considered when choosing a vaccine or not - many normal things cause reactions too.

Not sure where you are getting your info from - it seems to just be justification for many other things...irresponsible behaviour being one, since you were on a cruise with the flu. That whole response doesn't seem right at all, as you have to answer questions about being ill. So, if you lied about being ill to get on the cruise...that's another whole moral problem altogether. If you didn't lie, then the crew on that boat is highly irresponsible as you should have been quarantined.

I'm just scratching my head, as I see others are on here, at most of your posts... Tiger :(

Lol you don't honestly believe that a lot of people are on those do you? the H1N1 has killed 4,000 people this year the regular flu over 30,000 so far.And to be honest I think the people who believe all the hype about the H1N1 ore the conspiracy nuts.

My DW works in a hospital (RN 30 years) and we have friends who work in neighboring hospitals and yes there are many people on ventilators. I wouldn't make that statement if I didn't know it to be true.

Where did you get this info from? Hopefully it's not You Tube or Wikipedia...

In fact, the opposite has been proven thus far. Out of millions of doses worldwide, there haven't been that many serious or deadly reactions at all. Anything you consume or put on your body can be problematic: Tylenol, food, drink, sunscreen, etc. Reactions can, and do happen for no reason - I have allergies/sensitivies, so I can attest to this. This needs to be considered when choosing a vaccine or not - many normal things cause reactions too.

Not sure where you are getting your info from - it seems to just be justification for many other things...irresponsible behaviour being one, since you were on a cruise with the flu. That whole response doesn't seem right at all, as you have to answer questions about being ill. So, if you lied about being ill to get on the cruise...that's another whole moral problem altogether. If you didn't lie, then the crew on that boat is highly irresponsible as you should have been quarantined.

I'm just scratching my head, as I see others are on here, at most of your posts... Tiger :(

Ok I'll try to clarify a few things.First off I didn't know I was sick until the day I got on the ship.That's when my symptoms showed up.I also did not lie to get onto the ship.So to all of you saying I could have canceled my trip it was pretty much impossible for me to do that.

Second I did exactly what the doctor on the ship told me to do.So everyone needs to stop calling me irresponsible.

Thirdly I find it great that some of you guys are nurses or have nurses in the family.But I have a question for you guys.Out of all of those people on the ventilators how many did you actually check to see if it was H1N1 or the regular flu? And I also have family members that are nurses and I've spoken to the doctors at my hospital and they all strongly reccomended that no one gets the vaccine bc it is so new and not tested nearly enough.They also mentioned the mercury levels were much higher than the regular flu shot's.

Out of all the people from my brother's,sister's,and friends schools most of them have had H1N1.That's probably around 2,400 cases that I know of and not a single death.So it's not that dangerous.

And finally I'd like to point out that when it's your time to die nothing is going to change that.So people need to stop worrying about dying from this because when it's your time there is no getting out of it.

I have not read all the posts but here it goes...

1. If you know you have swine flu (or any flu for that matter) and you go out into public...well...I have some choice words for people like you that are not allowed on these boards
2. The swine flu vaccine does NOT require 2 shots for everyone. 2 doses have only been recommended for children. I am on the waiting list for the swine flu at my immunologists office and at 20 she said I do not need 2 doses
3. The difference between the people dying form swine flu and seasonal flu is that more HEALTHY people are dying from swine flu than is normal for flu complications. The majority of the people who die from seasonal flu are elderly and/or have underlying conditions

Do i think some people are going overboard with swine flu fear...yes. The masks on the plane, disinfecting everything, etc. might be going overboard.
BUT...people who take no precautions and knowingly go out in public and infect others...well all i can say is...karmas a witch

Number 3 is wrong.If you actually read the news reports about the deaths most people either had an underlying medical condition and knew it or it was discovered after their death.

How Did we Know it was H1N1 and regular Flu? Simple a lot of the vent cases I have had occurred before the seasonal flu was even around..and 2nd we SWABBED these patients. Why>? because once they are in the ICU , are in critical conditions ...they pretty much swab for everything.I work in a MAJOR teaching medical center.I will also say again...the h1n1 vaccine is made the SAME exact way the seasonal vaccine is.There have been a record number of first time people getting vaccinted who may have reacted to any of the vaccines and would not know this since they had not been vaccinated prior.

be thankful that all we are talking about here is H1N1, and not H5N1. then we would have real problems on our hands.

the thing i find most noteworthy, however, is that the media has all but failed to mention the H1N1 outbreak of 1976 (and the associated concern over Guillain-Barré syndrome.) this is why many people are leary about getting this vaccination for their children. either they are old enough to remember the swine flu outbreak of 1976, or were children at the time whose parents have now advised them to be cautious.

Ok I'll try to clarify a few things.First off I didn't know I was sick until the day I got on the ship.That's when my symptoms showed up.I also did not lie to get onto the ship.So to all of you saying I could have canceled my trip it was pretty much impossible for me to do that.

Second I did exactly what the doctor on the ship told me to do.So everyone needs to stop calling me irresponsible.

Thirdly I find it great that some of you guys are nurses or have nurses in the family.But I have a question for you guys.Out of all of those people on the ventilators how many did you actually check to see if it was H1N1 or the regular flu? And I also have family members that are nurses and I've spoken to the doctors at my hospital and they all strongly reccomended that no one gets the vaccine bc it is so new and not tested nearly enough.They also mentioned the mercury levels were much higher than the regular flu shot's.

Out of all the people from my brother's,sister's,and friends schools most of them have had H1N1.That's probably around 2,400 cases that I know of and not a single death.So it's not that dangerous.

And finally I'd like to point out that when it's your time to die nothing is going to change that.So people need to stop worrying about dying from this because when it's your time there is no getting out of it.

Well, I think I'll take my chances and rely a bit more on all the modern knowledge that we have available today in the world of medicine, and try to be proactive in sustaining my health and life.

Well, I think I'll take my chances and rely a bit more on all the modern knowledge that we have available today in the world of medicine, and try to be proactive in sustaining my health and life.

The whole swine flu vaccine is such a farse! The government rushed to over produce tons of these vaccines! To the extend that they now give them away for free to anyone who is stupid enough to stand in a 2 hour line for them. Yet if you want a chicken pox vaccine from the health department you need to pay $20. Also, if you increase your Vit D intake it will be just as affective as getting the vaccine. That is the route my family chooses to take!

http://healthandsurvival.com/2009/04/26/swine-flu-vaccine-of-1976-more-harm-than-good/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter