Swimming with Dolphins & 5 year old?

joyful1nh

Mouseketeer
Has anyone swam with the dolphins and a younger child? My DD will turn 5 two weeks after our cruise and is comfortable in the water -- a fairly good swimmer but in open water would need a swim aid of some sort. Would love to hear about your experiences.

We just booked a reservation to swim at Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel and they have an age minimum of 8 years of age.

Not sure about the other facilities, though.

Last year we did both the swim & encounter. My nephew (7) did the encounter w/ my sister & loved it. Unfortunately Devin wasn't able to hold his legs together and arch his back so the dolphins could propel him through the water during the finale . The trainers were fabulous, they let him try it 3 times but it was obvious he couldn't do it and he was very upset with himself. Within 5 minutes he was fine again, just very disappointed. On the other hand my niece (4) did the encounter with my Dad and had a major meltdown, all Jordan did was sit on the edge of the lagoon and cry. She wanted NO part in getting close to the dolphins. The week before we cruised she was thrown from a horse and I think that made her afraid of any animal bigger than her. It's now a year later and all either of them can talk about is how they want to do it again. They're in the process of booking it again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it wouldn't be a repeat of last year when I was the observer & photographer. This year I'm staying on the Wonder & doing the wine tasting class so they'll have to survive without me. You know your daughters limitations better than anyone so don't let our experiences sway your decision everyone 'cept Jordan had a blast. I did hear that as of 1/1/03 they're changing the minimum age to 6 but it may only be a rumor. Let me know what you decide- maybe if the girls hit it off and we don't do it on the 1/19th cruise we can all do it together.
See you on the 23rd,
Bari

Based upon our wonderful experience, I would strongly encourage you to do it!! We took DD just after 3 weeks after her 5th birthday and although we had taken her for swimming lessons, I would not have called her a real swimmer at that point but they put us all in flotation devices (and I am a very strong swimmer). She did beautifully and the pictures and videos are priceless.

Two things: We went in January and the water was cold. She didn't have an ounce of excess fat to keep her warm so we did rent one of their wetsuits. We rented the wetsuits, too, for the extra warmth (although we definitely have excess padding!! :)) Erin still got very cold and they were quite gracious about letting her get in and out of the water as she chose.

For the Dolphin Push, Erin rode on her dad's back and she wrapped her arms through Dad's flotation jacket. They didn't make it very far the first time but did the second and it is a memory to remember. Both attempts are on the video. We were suckers for the pictures and video and I'm so glad now that we did purchase them.

I hope this helps - Have a great trip.

Ginny,
thanks for the info on the dolphin swim! I just cleared a wait list with Sherri of Cozumel insider, she was fantastic about working with us to try and find space for both my children & hubby.

I have a question as we are also cruising in the monthof jan. Do you remember about how much the rental on wetsuit ran? Also the video.

Thanks!
Barnsquad

Barnsquad,

If I recall correctly the wetsuit charges were nominal ($5-10 per person) and the video ran about $40.00. I just checked their website (Dolphin Encounters, Blue Lagoon Island, Nassau) and the video is listed for 48.00. I am not familiar with the swims on the Western cruise.

Before we booked, we read an extensive post by "Dave in the Frozen North." He, too, mentioned buying all the stuff so we knew we were in good company. :) He did an incredible joy describing the entire experience. For us, this is one time when all the bells and whistles have paid for themselves in enjoyment.

Have a great time.

We did the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon in Nassau in November. For us it was unquestionably the highlight of the trip. I booked the Encounter myself about three months prior to our cruise. A few items:

Young child
Our just-turned-6 daughter enjoyed herself immensely. She is a so-so swimmer, but between the wetsuit and the lifejacket, she stayed afloat and warm enough to still enjoy herself (the water was quite chilly). My daughter is a HUGE animal lover, but was still very nervous around the dolphins, especially at first and when she got in the water with them. She wouldn't do the foot push at all. She did the dance, the kiss and other things, though. Overall, she had a wonderful time.

Wetsuits
We did not have to rent wetsuits - they were rent-free with the Encounter. I highly recommend using them since the water will be cold in January.

Other
BRING A WATERPROOF CAMERA! I bought a special waterproof case just for my digital camera (about $160) and it was well worth it. I took many pictures from my vantage point in the water that their photographer couldn't hope to have taken. We ended up buying one of their photos because it really turned out nice. Also, it is a bit difficult to manuever around in the water with a camera hanging around your neck, while making sure your child is not floating away somewhere, and still try to enjoy the experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter