Swimming in Feb.

dizneekrazee

Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time
We are currently planning our 1st WDW for May 2014. We have decided on a split stay at AoA and YC. We decided on YC bc of location, and pool. We do also plan to have a day at one or both of the water parks. However, I have been toying with the idea of early Feb, before Presidents Week. Will it be warm enough to swim? We are planning 8 full days, 2 of which are dedicated relaxation days (may hit parks in the evening). If it is generally not warm enough, we will still stay at AoA, but unsure about 2nd portion of the trip. Any ideas?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post on, not sure where to ask this question.

We are currently planning our 1st WDW for May 2014. We have decided on a split stay at AoA and YC. We decided on YC bc of location, and pool. We do also plan to have a day at one or both of the water parks. However, I have been toying with the idea of early Feb, before Presidents Week. Will it be warm enough to swim? We are planning 8 full days, 2 of which are dedicated relaxation days (may hit parks in the evening). If it is generally not warm enough, we will still stay at AoA, but unsure about 2nd portion of the trip. Any ideas?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post on, not sure where to ask this question.

Probably not, but that never stops anyone. ;) We were at Disney during that week last year, it was in the 50s, we were in pea coats, and we sat on our balcony watching people swim. We thought they were nuts, but then again, we live in Florida -- it's got to be in the 80s with a water temp of at least 85 for me to dip a toe in. :laughing:

This February was definitely warmer than last, but I don't think you can count on it being warm enough to swim.

Probably not, but that never stops anyone. ;) We were at Disney during that week last year, it was in the 50s, we were in pea coats, and we sat on our balcony watching people swim. We thought they were nuts, but then again, we live in Florida -- it's got to be in the 80s with a water temp of at least 85 for me to dip a toe in. :laughing:

This February was definitely warmer than last, but I don't think you can count on it being warm enough to swim.

Thank you!! Feb is out of the question, then!!

We always get in the pool ... But we're from Canada! ;) You will always find Canadians and Brits by the pool enjoying the sun no matter what temps! :rotfl:

Seeing that you are from California, I think you will find Feb generally too cold for the pools. Disney says they heat all their pools to 83, but they always feel way cooler than any offsite pools.

We go in December and we always swim. Heck, my DD swims when it's too cold for the lifeguards! But ... we are from Wisconsin and temperatures in the 50's and 60's is warm for us. San Francisco is a pretty moderate climate, so I would guess that Orlando isn't a whole lot warmer than home in February. Would you swim at home in an outdoor heated pool?

We go in December and we always swim. Heck, my DD swims when it's too cold for the lifeguards! But ... we are from Wisconsin and temperatures in the 50's and 60's is warm for us. San Francisco is a pretty moderate climate, so I would guess that Orlando isn't a whole lot warmer than home in February. Would you swim at home in an outdoor heated pool?

Nope!! Lol. I can't usually get in the water here at home unless it is at LEAST 75F, and that is pushing it. I get cold very easily. The swimming is for the kids, but I like to lay out. If there is even a slight breeze, I need to cover up with a towel. We were in Hawaii mid-April, it was a bit cooler than usual, and there were a few times I had to cover myself until the sun reappeared from behind the clouds.

PS. I just looked at your signature, I am ENVIOUS that you have been to all those Disney parks!! Which was your favorite of the international parks?

The average temps for WDW in early Feb is about 71-75, with 75 being the most uncommon in that range. The lows are in the low 50s. It can be a bit chilly. It will most likely be too cool to spend more than 10 mins in the pool.

We always go swimming, but we are from Canada. Last year we were there the last week of Jan and first week of Feb and there was only 1 day that we did not go swimming. I do have to say though that we did see a lot of people wearing what we would consider a winter parka and we were running around in shorts.

Nope!! Lol. I can't usually get in the water here at home unless it is at LEAST 75F, and that is pushing it. I get cold very easily. The swimming is for the kids, but I like to lay out. If there is even a slight breeze, I need to cover up with a towel. We were in Hawaii mid-April, it was a bit cooler than usual, and there were a few times I had to cover myself until the sun reappeared from behind the clouds.

PS. I just looked at your signature, I am ENVIOUS that you have been to all those Disney parks!! Which was your favorite of the international parks?
I see your signature now says MAY 2014. I think that's the perfect time for WDW! My favorite park is Disneyland in California. My favorite international park is Disney Seas in Tokyo.

I see your signature now says MAY 2014. I think that's the perfect time for WDW! My favorite park is Disneyland in California. My favorite international park is Disney Seas in Tokyo.

Yes, I have it set for May. Things can still change since nothing is booked, but as of now, May it is.

I hear that a lot about Tokyo. I can't wait to go, to all of them!! Lol

We went in February of 2006 and stayed offsite, and the kids went swimming every day. Yes, we're Canadian. Seemed warm enough to us. ;)

It just depends on you. I'm a wimpy, FL girl who won't swim unless the pool water is at least 85 degrees. The pools are heated but February can be downright cold (FL weather is oh so unpredictable!) and getting in/out of the pool could be frigid!

We swim in February . We don't do a lot of resort or pool time but one night we try to get the kids in the pool. We are from Maine so anything over 65 and we swim!!!! Hell the lake I grew up on never got to 65 I don't think!!Lol

We went in Feb over Valentines in 2010 for a week. The day we landed it was 75 and sunny. It went down every day. The last 4 days we were there we were layering our clothes. It got to 32 and lower at night and took all day to hit 50-55. The kids were cold and wanted hats and gloves. So did I! No swimming for us and we are from the frigid north. I say go in May. Enjoy your trip, what ever time you go!

This past February was the coldest! Sunday of President's Day weekend the HIGH was 32 degrees! We froze in Epcot!! Each day got progressively warmer, by Thursday it hit 80 and we could swim.

Needless to say, we are having a "do-over" this August!

We've been at the end of February and it's never been warm enough to swim. We have sat out by the pool but haven't actually swam at that time of the year.

Thank you!! Feb is out of the question, then!!

They said you can't *count* on it. But that doesn't mean it's absolutely too cold. Now from your description of yourself, maybe it will be for you. But there's no way to know until you're there experiencing it.

Most of MY beach days growing up in the Bay Area were spent being somewhat chilly in the Monterey area, LOL, so I ended up NOT needing it to be warm to swim!

This past February was the coldest! Sunday of President's Day weekend the HIGH was 32 degrees! We froze in Epcot!! Each day got progressively warmer, by Thursday it hit 80 and we could swim.

this was not our experience.

We got to town early early on the 6th and left on the 20th. Stayed in lots of resorts. We swam at POR on the 6th, in the evening. We went to the Bahamas so that doesn't count, then got to Universal on the 10th. We would have swum but we were just so busy with the parks and then being tired, and we just weren't feeling enough love for Hard Rock Hotel to swim there. (which is weird because the previous Feb, we hopped there from Portofino Bay to swim) Got to WDW again, tried to swim at Kidani but scheduled ourselves too tightly (but felt it was warm enough). Swam at SSR on the 15th and it was AWESOME for the time we were there. And that swim included my cousins who live in FL. My cousin is from AZ and FL; her children are born Floridians, but they all had a great time. (her husband is from PA but has lived in FL since he was a kid) And on the 18th or 19th we had a wonderful, sunny, several-hour swim, hot tub at WL. Just a glorious time that day, so sunny!

It wasn't 32 at the Wilderness Lodge that day or night, I know that.

We also insisted on swimming 3 times during the infamously COLD early/mid December of 2010. The pools felt incredible. The painful part was when you had to get out. :)

When we were there in February 2008-we swam. It was awesome. The pools are heated. Even getting out of them, it wasn't too bad.

The parks seemed pretty crowded to me, though. I guess I thought they wouldn't be that bad. Have fun!

We have gone the end of jan the last 3 years. The weather just varies a lot. On all trips there was a range of weather (highs in mid 60s to mid 80s). Always seems to be more warm days than cool, and we were definitely able to use the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter