Swimming in December

BUTTERHEAD1

Mouseketeer
Although I have been to Disney over 20 times this is our first time in December. Is it too cold to swim? Are the pools empty at this time of the year ?

Although I have been to Disney over 20 times this is our first time in December. Is it too cold to swim? Are the pools empty at this time of the year ?

The weather is very unpredictable that time of year, but it is possible it will be nice enough for swimming. We have been twice in December and the first time the resort pool was closed due to such cold temps, but the second time we had temps in the 80s. All of the pools are heated, but the outside temps might make it too unbearable to swim. With that said, I would definitely pack swimsuits and plan to swim, but also be prepared for very cool/cold temps as you never know just what it will be like until you're actually there. Have a great trip, Disney in December is amazing.

They never empty the pools, well maybe for occasional maintenance. They are heated and it is up to you if the ambient temperature suits your mood.

It might be great, it might be cold. It might be middle ground. It might be supercold and when it gets TOO cold, Disney does have the right to close the pools entirely. Our last trip was January and it got cold cold cold, and the pools were closed a couple times.

We go the week before Thanksgiving and swimming is hard to predict which makes it hard for us to schedule it into our plans. Last trip, it was either too cool (low 70s) or it was rainy/overcast. The one day we did get pool time in was the day it made 80 degrees, but we hit the pool around 11am and the water was freezing. I know they say its heated, but that Florida sun needs to heat it up for a while before it's comfortable IMO.

Maybe it's because we are from Iowa but our children and now our grandchildren always swim unless it is raining. We usually go during the first 2 weeks of December. My brother and his wife hit a REALLY cold spell where they had to wear winter coats but we have not had that happen and hope our luck holds!

It all depends. We have been to WDW many times in December. One year it was 70+ the entire trip and one year it was in the 40's during the day. The pool water is heated so it depends on if you handle the chilly air when you get out.

We went in December 2010. We expected 75ish degrees and it never got above 60 the whole time we were there - averaged 50-55 for the high. We packed nothing but shorts and pajamas and had to wear the same 2 sets of pajamas in the parks for the week. I'd advise you to pack a swimsuit and a jacket/pants. Leave off the water/fun ticket addon. If you get there and it's looking good you can always pay for the water/fun addon at that time. But if you prepay and it's too cold you can't get a refund.

LOVE "hanging" by the pools and wondering the same!:confused3

Not depending on swimming weather early December this year, but would be a PLEASANT surprise!:thumbsup2

Have always vacationed at WDW in August ,due to school schedules and it has been HOT, GREAT swimming weather!:goodvibes

Have been told to pack "layers" to be prepared for colder weather!
We'll see.. Hope we are PLEASANTLY surprised!:santa:

Some days in December are fine for swimming. Some days in December are too cold for swimming. Which kind of day you get when you visit this December is simply the luck of the draw.

You have me worried now. I was planning on Blizzard Beach day in early Dec. We had an old tix that didn't expire and figure we use it Dec.

Do people go the Blizzard beach in December?

You have me worried now. I was planning on Blizzard Beach day in early Dec. We had an old tix that didn't expire and figure we use it Dec.

We too have always done water parks on our summer vacas...
This I think will be the first trip where we are not planning a water park day!

Bring the ticket along and if there is a GREAT HOT DAY of your vaca, use it!
If not, use it in warmer weather! Hopefully, always ANOTHER trip in the future!:rotfl::thumbsup2 ENJOY!:thumbsup2

It depends - some years weather is warm others it is freezing.
I have even seen real snow back int the 70s. No it did not stick on the ground, just on the cars, mail boxes etc. I love Disney in the winter - It is not hot - hot - hot. Have a good time and dress in layers.

The length of your stay will factor into whether you are "guaranteed" some days most people would consider pool weather.

The weather can change quickly in Orlando. From what I've observed though, it would be extremely rare for it to go a whole 2 weeks without some days reaching at least the mid 70's. So those with short stays might not swim, but most people staying 10 nights or longer will get at least a couple of swimable days.

We have gone in Mid December for about 2 weeks per stay in 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and will be there in 2014. The date range has been somewhere in between Dec. 10th and Dec. 28th.

2008: Extremely hot the entire trip. Only one day that wasn't ideal swimming weather.

2010: This was the record cold snap. I believe coldest december on record in Orlando in modern times. However, even though we saw temps as cold as 26 F, daytime highs in the 40's and 50's, there was still 3 or 4 days in the 70's and 1 day that shot up to 85 (we went to Blizzard beach that day).

2011: Scorching hot!! Heatwave rolled through. All daytime highs between 75-88 F. There was a couple of days that were record highs.

2012: Average by our standards. Most daytime highs in the high 60's and low 70's, with a few days in the high 70's/low 80's.

2013: Scorcher again!! Three record high days towards the end of the trip. Several days in the 80's and even hit 90 a couple times.

So out of 5 mid Dec trips 1 was average seasonal temps, 1 was below, and 3 were well above average. We've had good luck with the weather, hopefully that trend continues this year!!

Yes, we go to BB every trip. :thumbsup2

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Our first December trip was 8 days and along with the resort pool being closed the whole time we were there, BB was also closed as that's how cold it was. We ended up having to buy coats and gloves as we weren't prepared for such cold weather and only packed shorts/light jackets. I agree with jerseygal that I would take the BB ticket with you and if you find a day where it's warm enough to use it, go and enjoy; if not, save it for another trip ;).

The odds are that you will be able to go swimming during the daytime several times during your trip. It might get very cool for a couple of days, but then it will warm up again. It is usually too cold for most people to go swimming after dark in December. However, the pools are heated, and I always see kids running back to their rooms (dripping wet) at night.

The odds are that you will be able to go swimming during the daytime several times during your trip. It might get very cool for a couple of days, but then it will warm up again. It is usually too cold for most people to go swimming after dark in December. However, the pools are heated, and I always see kids running back to their rooms (dripping wet) at night.

There have been lots of nights warm enough to swim for us. Those days that hit 80-90 are still warm at night. We've had nights where it's still 75 at midnight.

We've been swimming the first weekend in December. Water temperature at the Poly was nice and warm- just be sure to have your towels ready as that walk back to the room was a little chilly!

So EXCITED to be at WDW in Dec to "get in the Christmas spirit"..:santa:
Nothing to complain about here!:cool1::cheer2:

Will be NICE though to get some R&R at the pools with some nice sunshine in between the parks!:beach: Who knows though, can't control the weather!:rotfl: Have already prepared to pack "layers" though!:)

Wear cold weather clothing, enough during winter! REFUSE to wear any heavy coat, gloves, scarves at WDW; layers will be fine for us!:) Hoping for the
BEST!pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter