• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swim Team costs

Maybe we should move!

For the Boston area, $875 for a US Swim Team would be incredible. One DD has been swimming competitively for 8 years and the other one has been swimming for 4 years. It is certainly a lot more than $875. You really have to compare swim teams in your area. Make sure you know what you are paying for. Does that total include US Swim registration or the cost to participate in meets?

Enjoy the swimming. It is something you can do well into your senior years.

That is great for higher level teams but unfortunately not every kid needs a "higher level" experience. It is sad that there aren't "fun" teams that don't require a huge investment like there used to be.

Also, our local Y team requires 3-4 practice days a week during the season, and starts at age 6. I'm sorry, my elementary aged daughter didn't need to be swimming that often every week during the school year!

Again...a low stress, relaxed team that is out to give kids the swim team experience and swimming practice without all that pressure and expense of the current options.

Most Y and USA swim organizations do have a less intensive program for recreational swimmers especially as they approach their teenage years and choose not to make swimming their sport of choice. I don't know what your Y offers but there might be a non-swim team program for recreational swimmers. At age 6, though, most swimmers are still learning and perfecting stroke so it's important that they get practice in so muscle memory grows.

If you have a Jewish Community Center in your area, you might also find that they sponsor less intensive swim programs with other competing teams. Many swimmers start at the JCC around here to get their feet wet. (yuck, yuck!)

Most Y and USA swim organizations do have a less intensive program for recreational swimmers especially as they approach their teenage years and choose not to make swimming their sport of choice. I don't know what your Y offers but there might be a non-swim team program for recreational swimmers. At age 6, though, most swimmers are still learning and perfecting stroke so it's important that they get practice in so muscle memory grows.

That's right. Our team offers developmental and non-competitve options as well. It's just for fun and to teach the kids the basics of swimming. No pressure and it's a lot, lot cheaper than what I pay. We're talking as low as $250 for the year. And they offer only 1 practice per week option as well. So there are teams out there that are more relaxed and have all options.

That's right. Our team offers developmental and non-competitve options as well. It's just for fun and to teach the kids the basics of swimming. No pressure and it's a lot, lot cheaper than what I pay. We're talking as low as $250 for the year. And they offer only 1 practice per week option as well. So there are teams out there that are more relaxed and have all options.

Our Y only had the one team. There are also no "public" pools in our area (like I had growing up) we only have the Y or swim clubs that are WAAAY more expensive than the Y is.

I also don't want a "non competing" team, just one that is more intramural than super competitive (geared towards scholarships/Olympics) and part of some larger national organization.

My 9 year old son started on the YMCA swim team in January this year. Since he started in the middle of the season, we paid $151 for Jan-April. We also paid a $50 fundraising fee because there were no fundraisers going on at the time. Then he did Summer swim, which was May-July and it was $240. This added up to $441 from Jan-July. On top of the fees, we had to pay for each race entry ($3-$5 per race) and equipment (fins, jammers, goggles, etc.) and team shirts. He really likes it and it is really the only sport he has shown any interest in.
Overall we have spent a ton on it, but it hasn't been so much that we can't do it.

Today the coach sent out the new fees for 2011-2012 and they are going to a fee structure that covers Fall and Summer swim for one price. The problem is that they aren't offering a per season fee, so if we decide not to do summer swim, we will still be paying for it. The total cost will be $875 (this includes the fundraising fee). We will still need to pay the per race fee and any other costs that come up during the season.

Does this sound like too much to you? He will be practicing 4 days/week and as of now they only have one coach per age group, so it's not like they are paying a whole lot of coaches. When I look at last years fees, if we had done the whole year (Sept-July) the total cost would have been $592. This seems like a huge increase.

That's nothin';)

Let me start by saying that the swim club team is meant to be competitive. As such, they discourage you taking time off as it will usually leave you behind other swimmers.

My DD8 does swim club. Right now, she is only practicing twice a week and it is $120 a month. That's right a month so that is $1440 a year. Once she goes to 5 X a week (probably next session) it will be over $200 a month. That does not include meets; which are frequently held out of state. Granted, the "uniform" is very inexpensive with a speedo suit, swim cap, and goggles. Swim, believe it or not, is not an inexpensive sport when it gets to competition level.

It cost $150 to join the club. If you take summer off (which she did this year) you still have to pay $50 to hold a spot. This is a very successful program with many earning scholarships and a few going on to the olympic qualifiers.

I enrolled her because she loves it and I wanted a competitive program. There are plenty of recreational programs around here. OP - maybe you would be more interested in that? The Red Cross offers some learn to swim programs. The Community School and the two Y's around here do too. None of those are competition teams. I got sick of paying for her to just play in the water though. They were no longer teaching her anything new.

Good luck with your decision.

The team is a competitive team. I knew going into it in January that it wasn't going to be a cheap sport and also knew that as he gets older, the cost goes up because the amount of practices and time goes up.
I think the thing that is bothering myself and many of the other parents is that there was not explanation of the increase. We were told that they were going to a full season program to be more competitive, that other teams are doing it and that it will save them money and time on registration process. When I hear that a new process is going to save money and in the next sentence we are told that the fees are being increased, I wonder what is going on. Also, many other teams in the area are cheaper overall, have more coaches and much better facilities. We only have an indoor 25 yd pool that we have to share with the Y, leaving us 3-4 lanes at most for practice. Other YMCAs have indoor (25 yd) and outdoor (50 m) pools. Since my son is moving up to the 9-10 year old group, it is going to be a really large group of kids with only one coach and who knows how many lanes they will get to use at practice. This summer he did the long course season and we didn't even have a 50m pool to practice in. We couldn't even practice in our Y 25 yd pool because they allowed a team from another town to reserve it all summer in the mornings. We had to rent out a country club pool (25 yd), while most other teams had their own 50m pool to practice in. During the summer, they only swim 50m or higher races, so it was a bit of a disadvantage for our whole team.
I know that we will probably end up staying there because the next closest team is at least 20 miles away and it is going to cost just as much in gas to go 4 days/week and it will take more time away during the school year. I just want to vent a little and also wanted to get an idea of the cost others are paying around the country.

That is great for higher level teams but unfortunately not every kid needs a "higher level" experience. It is sad that there aren't "fun" teams that don't require a huge investment like there used to be.

Also, our local Y team requires 3-4 practice days a week during the season, and starts at age 6. I'm sorry, my elementary aged daughter didn't need to be swimming that often every week during the school year!

Again...a low stress, relaxed team that is out to give kids the swim team experience and swimming practice without all that pressure and expense of the current options.

We have summer swim teams through our park districts just like this! This is how my DD started swimming. It is about $80/summer with practice every day (M-F) from end of May to end of July. There are meets almost every Wed night & Sat morning....you make as many as you can, but have to do a minimum of 5 to go to conference. It is low-key and all parents work the meets & bring food items. Everyone swims every event during the season.

She did go on to a year round team (much more than $875) and went to state as a junior & senior (just graduated!!), but decided not to swim in college due to wanting to focus on school. She know many swimmers who spend 4-5 hours a day swimming during college season. It is a great sport and has kept her lean & healthy for many years! After 9 years of swim meets - I'm going to miss it.

DD does noncompetitive dance 5 hours a week, and it runs me about $2500- $3000 a year for lessons, leos, shoes, costumes, tights ect. Swimming would be a bargian.

Keep in mind a swim team is very expensive to run. Indoor pools are very expensive to heat the water and the facility. Insurance costs money too. They may have had increases in these areas and needed to increase costs to cover.

The team is a competitive team. I knew going into it in January that it wasn't going to be a cheap sport and also knew that as he gets older, the cost goes up because the amount of practices and time goes up.
I think the thing that is bothering myself and many of the other parents is that there was not explanation of the increase. We were told that they were going to a full season program to be more competitive, that other teams are doing it and that it will save them money and time on registration process. When I hear that a new process is going to save money and in the next sentence we are told that the fees are being increased, I wonder what is going on. Also, many other teams in the area are cheaper overall, have more coaches and much better facilities. We only have an indoor 25 yd pool that we have to share with the Y, leaving us 3-4 lanes at most for practice. Other YMCAs have indoor (25 yd) and outdoor (50 m) pools. Since my son is moving up to the 9-10 year old group, it is going to be a really large group of kids with only one coach and who knows how many lanes they will get to use at practice. This summer he did the long course season and we didn't even have a 50m pool to practice in. We couldn't even practice in our Y 25 yd pool because they allowed a team from another town to reserve it all summer in the mornings. We had to rent out a country club pool (25 yd), while most other teams had their own 50m pool to practice in. During the summer, they only swim 50m or higher races, so it was a bit of a disadvantage for our whole team.
I know that we will probably end up staying there because the next closest team is at least 20 miles away and it is going to cost just as much in gas to go 4 days/week and it will take more time away during the school year. I just want to vent a little and also wanted to get an idea of the cost others are paying around the country.

If they were going to a longer season; why would it be cheaper? Personally, I would move to the other teams. It seems your son would get more out of it; and you would get more for your money. Good luck.

My kids both swim. Our team is probably the least expensive in our area. I pay $75 for one and $65 for the other ($10 family discount for 2nd kid). On top of that we have meet fees--usually $5 splash fee/meet and a charge of $4/event they swim. My bills average about $200/month, for 1-2 meets/month. On top of that, we have to pay annual dues to USA Swimming--I'm not sure the price, but ~$75 each. Our team does one fundraising activity each year: we sell fireworks at our stand for the 10 days they are legal each June/July. As long as we work one shift per child we are not charged a fundraising fee, but if we are unable to work (1 4-hr shift per child), then we are charged $100 each.

As I understand, our team is not as expensive as others in our area (Metro Omaha), due to the fact that we don't have to pay any pool usage fees.

So I would say that $875/year is not out of line! Hope you all stick with swimming--it's a great sport!

If they were going to a longer season; why would it be cheaper?

They aren't extending the season, they are just combining Fall/Winter with Summer. Last year you could pay just for Fall/Winter and then pay for Summer if you chose to do it. Now you don't have a choice about summer, you have to do it and pay for it if you register for Fall. The combined fees for Fall and Summer last year are cheaper than the new fees for the same amount of time. They are also only giving us 5 months to pay for the seasons too, which is kind of crazy since the season lasts from Sept-July. It would be much easier to pay over even 8 months vs. 5.

Keep in mind a swim team is very expensive to run. Indoor pools are very expensive to heat the water and the facility. Insurance costs money too. They may have had increases in these areas and needed to increase costs to cover.

If they were going to a longer season; why would it be cheaper? Personally, I would move to the other teams. It seems your son would get more out of it; and you would get more for your money. Good luck.

I agree that pools are very expensive to run and rent out. Last I heard, ours was $20 per lane per hour. With just our morning practice, that means $150 per morning and we are there 5 mornings a week. Plus an additional 5 hours at night to rent out 5 more lanes.

I'm curious, too as to why adding more to the season shouldn't mean an increase in fees. It sounds to me like they are meaning "competitive" meaning coming in first in races more often. Not competitive as in being the better bargain in the area.

I'm curious, too as to why adding more to the season shouldn't mean an increase in fees. It sounds to me like they are meaning "competitive" meaning coming in first in races more often. Not competitive as in being the better bargain in the area.

I answered above about the adding to the season. They are not adding to it, they are just combining Fall and Summer into one fee, whereas before we paid for each season individually. The individual seasons are equal to the same amount of time as the combined season. The cost of each season individually when added together, was cheaper than what they are charging for the same amount of time. Nothing has changed except for the cost.

They definitely are talking about being more competitive in races and I can understand that, but we have many kids who are under the age of 8 (some are 6 years old) who don't do well in the summer season because of the distance they have to swim. I have a 6 year old who I would like to join the team when he is a little more experienced, but I would not feel comfortable putting him in 50m races at this age. We had a few kids this summer who were 6-8 who had a really hard time and would have done much better if they had not done the summer team and just waited until fall to start.

I think the full season (Fall + Summer) should be mandatory for the older age groups and optional for the younger ones who may not want to/be able to swim all year long.

I answered above about the adding to the season. They are not adding to it, they are just combining Fall and Summer into one fee, whereas before we paid for each season individually. The individual seasons are equal to the same amount of time as the combined season. The cost of each season individually when added together, was cheaper than what they are charging for the same amount of time. Nothing has changed except for the cost.

They definitely are talking about being more competitive in races and I can understand that, but we have many kids who are under the age of 8 (some are 6 years old) who don't do well in the summer season because of the distance they have to swim. I have a 6 year old who I would like to join the team when he is a little more experienced, but I would not feel comfortable putting him in 50m races at this age. We had a few kids this summer who were 6-8 who had a really hard time and would have done much better if they had not done the summer team and just waited until fall to start.

I think the full season (Fall + Summer) should be mandatory for the older age groups and optional for the younger ones who may not want to/be able to swim all year long.

Okay, I see now. The fact that they combined the season's fees shouldn't mean an increase. Maybe it comes from an increase in the pool rental. I know a lot of them are going up in fees as costs for everything go up.

I agree that some kids at the youngest ages may not be ready for 50 yard races. But some are. I was some times racing 50's at age 6. Right now, the whole year is optional, if you don't join. Do you have a summer league near you that would be a better fit?

I haven't read all of the posts so this might be redundant. Our area has a YMCA league but there are other leagues out there. You could try a google search and see what you come up with. My kids' summer league was $175 for 2 kids (including $20 donation towards the concession stand and a $20 donation to opt out of fundraising). It's about 7 weeks. Our winter swim is $300 per kid, the season runs from late Sept and ends w/ Champs in late March. We pay extra for a few meets per year which are optional, it is at a local high school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter