Swim shirts/rash guards

Disneybridewifemama

DIS Veteran
The place we are visiting in Cozumel doesn’t allow sunblock in the water ...does Disney sell those swim shirts/rash guards in the gift shops on board? In kids sizes... I saw them on castaway cay last trip and I regret not buying one but castaway is after our Cozumel stop this trip so I’m hoping I can buy the DCL one on board. And if anyone possibly has photos of the ones they sell on board that would be awesome! I know the castaway ones were cute and neon colored. Really kicking myself for not grabbing one!

Which ship will you be on? I noticed when on the Magic recently they don't have some of the same shops (like the swim focused kiosk) as on the Fantasy.

I don't have an answer to your rash guard question, but I am curious about the sunblock thing...is it all sunscreen or just chemical sunscreens that are harmful to reefs and sea creatures?

The reason I'm asking is because I've never heard of a place that bans all sunscreen, but I've heard of many places that limit it to zinc oxide or titanium dioxide sunscreens, and those can be expensive. It might benefit you to purchase some ahead of your trip, especially since it's often on sale this time of year. We use those mineral-based (zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) sunscreens whenever we go into the ocean because those formulations are less damaging to sea life (and I think they work well, although they are a little more difficult to apply because they consistency is thick).

We are the family that is all rash guards all the time (all of us!), so I'd buy before you leave and wear them all summer long!

Well be on the magic.
Ive never heard of the sunscreen ban either and I’ve visited Cozumel multiple times. The website said all sunblock will be required to be rinsed off to protect the damaged reefs.

Copied from the website:
  • If you are planning to enter the ocean on your visit, you are required to rinse off any sunscreen or sunblock before doing so. This is to prevent further damage to the diseased Coral Reefs in Cozumel. To prevent sun exposure, we recommend wearing UV protective clothing & hats instead.

Many places in Mexico have a sunscreen ban, but the ban does not apply to zinc oxide (which is safe for the coral and other wild life).

We use rash guards. Lands end has a great selection of them. Look for coupons. Zinc oxide sunscreen is hard to apply, and not the most comfortable. Rash guards will limit how much you need!

This explains the "Reef Friendly" note on some sunblock I just purchased. Shopdisney.com has swim on 50% sale through Sunday right now.

Target usually has some really cute rash guards and I'm sure they're a lot less money than Disney ones!

I agree with the others who recommend purchasing any clothing you may need prior to boarding. There is just no knowing if they will have the rash guards or your sizes in stock when you board.

Many places in Mexico have a sunscreen ban, but the ban does not apply to zinc oxide (which is safe for the coral and other wild life).

We use rash guards. Lands end has a great selection of them. Look for coupons. Zinc oxide sunscreen is hard to apply, and not the most comfortable. Rash guards will limit how much you need!
So I guess this is similar to the sunscreen ban Hawaii will be enacting soon?

Agree with buying rash guards ahead of time. I live in the Toronto area and rash guards are "in season" at Wal Mart. Marshall's/Ross/Burlington might have some as well.

Just got off Magic Transatlantic. There is a kiosk on Deck 9 that sells rash guard shirts in a variety of sizes as well as cover-ups and other swim related items. Near Goofy pool.

When our daughter was eight I found her a Hannah Montana rash guard at a local store and that's what she wore on our cruise. So, it's possible you could find some Disney designs locally or online and save yourself the worry (and money) by buying before you go.

Amazon might also be a good place to check. I have a non-Disney rash guard that I purchased from Amazon several years ago and it has saved me from several sunburns, but I just did a quick search and they have some Disney designs for kiddos. You could also purchase one on the trip as a souvenir, but as other people have pointed out, if they don't have the right size for sale and you didn't bring one, that could be a major problem.

I almost ordered a swim shirt from Lands End (wasn't sure it would fit over the suit, so I passed) and they have all kinds of discounts on swimwear, swim shoes, rash guards, etc. right now.

The Fantasy sold them in Sea Treasures gift shop on board. They had adult and children’s sizes.

I definitely recommend purchasing before you leave. They are great to have...especially if you plan on snorkeling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter