Swim diaper for 10 year old?

goofyandmore

Mouseketeer
My 10 year old daughter with PVL (brain injury from birth), loves to swim. Prior to this year, we were able to use those swimmies sold in all general stores. She is slim. But this year they will be too tight.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!:)

She's probably going to be between sizes - too large for the children's ones and too small for the adult ones. Here are some places to check:
Fisher Shops

Gabbys

My Pool Pal - they actually look like they have the best selection of sizes and do have some inbetween sizes.

I have not used any of these stores or products, so can't give a recommendation of one over the other. Hopefully someone else will be able to help out with personal experience.

Sue and Marie, thank you sooo much for your help! I will check out all of the sources you both provided. Thanks, Carolyn

please let us know what you find out and whether or not your would recommend them to others.

I would also like to thank both posts on swim daipers. My son is about to start swiming lessons and he is almost potty trained. This will add some level of comfort.
Thanks again.

I have a friend whose 16yo DS uses pull ups. He is very self conscience about anybody knowing that he is wearing them. She says that they work as well as swim diapers.

OT: has anyone ever washed and dried swim diapers before? Just throw them in the wash with detergent with other clothes and then into the dryer. They come out a bit crumpled but otherwise in decent shape. We just DS in pool for 20-30 mins at a time so he doesn't get them messy(otherwise I would throw them away) I hate to toss them if he didn't pee in them. My friend told me this trick.

I have a friend whose 16yo DS uses pull ups. He is very self conscience about anybody knowing that he is wearing them. She says that they work as well as swim diapers.

OT: has anyone ever washed and dried swim diapers before? Just throw them in the wash with detergent with other clothes and then into the dryer. They come out a bit crumpled but otherwise in decent shape. We just DS in pool for 20-30 mins at a time so he doesn't get them messy(otherwise I would throw them away) I hate to toss them if he didn't pee in them. My friend told me this trick.

But don't the pullups explode when filled up with water? Thanks

please let us know what you find out and whether or not your would recommend them to others.

I definitely will Sue! I am ordering different ones tomorrow to be overnighted. We are having a heat wave in NJ (102 degrees tomorrow), and my mother just opened her pool about 2 weeks earlier than she usually does. So, I wasn't prepared.

But don't the pullups explode when filled up with water? Thanks
Pull-ups would.
I have not used the disposable swim diapers, but have seen them. They don't have anything in them that absorbs water; they are just made to contain solids. They are a shell made out of a non-woven paper 'fabric' and would be durable enough to wash at least once.

Actually, I have a funny story to go with this question.
Someone I know didn't have any swim diapers and figured a clean regular disposable diaper would do just as well. When she put the baby into the water, the diaper absorbed pool water and his behind swelled to about twice the normal size. She also said he felt like he weighed a ton!

the diaper absorbed pool water and his behind swelled to about twice the normal size. She also said he felt like he weighed a ton!

I did that in our kiddy pool one time. Our youngest was out of swim diapers. It was HUGE!

We switched to the washable swim pants also. But on vacation, we are using the disposables. I don't want to do laundry every single day that we go swimming. And whoever said the disposables do not hold urine are very right. They only hold poop. My son was standing there in his disposable swim diaper, bathing suit over top of it and he just peed all over the floor. Now I know not to put him in the swim diapers until it is time to go to the pool.

Sandra

Pull ups do not swell but they do not hold anything in so if they pee or poop it goes right into the pool. Take it from me I tried this one time when one of the kids in my class did'nt have swimmies and it was a bad scene.:scared1: :scared1:

My youngest uses the overnight style pull ups and they hold both pee and poop. He uses them for swimming as well - just in case he has an accident. ;) Lucky for me he's small for his age!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter