Swan/Dolphin pool & location ?

Lorix2

<font color=blue>Pixie and Dylan's mom<br><font co
My DH mentioned the Swan/Dolphin, up until I read on about it on the boards, I had never considered it...I got the AAA rate of $189.00 for April 20-23, standard room at the Dolphin. I never asked about the Swan.

Do both pool areas have slides? My kids really like those.

As far as walking goes, which is a bit closer to the boardwalk?

Staying with kids, do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks, having a hard time choosing:confused:

The resorts more or less share a pool area. The large "grotto" pool with the slide is actually closer to the Dolphin.

With kids, I'd go for the Dolphin, simply because I think they have more child-friendly restaurants, including Tubbi's - a 24-hr convenience store and snack bar.

I think the Swan is actually a few steps closer to the Boardwalk, but they're both right there, very close.

We just stayed at the Dolphin a few days ago with 3 kids and loved it!

Sharon

Thanks for the all in the info and I'm glad to hear you had a great time :D

Without a doubt, two of our favorite hotels. Best location in all of WDW. Great pool and amenities. Enjoy! ::MickeyMo

Lorix,

The Grotto Pool with the slide is closer to the Dolphin, but we stayed with DD's 7 and 12 at the Swan last year and the walk is not that far. If you look at the photo of the Swan that normally appears at the top left corner of the web page, that photo was probably taken very close to the Grotto Pool looking back at the Swan, and it's not as far as it looks in the photo. There is another rectangular pool directly adjacent to the Swan that I would guess is usually pretty quiet, but you would want to walk to the Grotto Pool without a doubt. On the way to the pool you pass a sandy beach on the lake and some playground equip. We loved the Swan and are staying there again. We're coming into Disney the day you are leaving as a matter of fact and got the same rate for later that week.

As far as the walk to the Boardwalk, the Swan is a little closer, but the diffrence is minor. There is a walkway that crosses the lake that connects the Swan and Dolphin, and the Swan is on the end of the connecting walkway closest to the Boardwalk.

All in all, I probably wouldn't base my decision on the distance to the pool or Boardwalk, but on which hotel looks more appealing to you. We stayed at the Swan last year because the refurbishments at the Dolphin had not been completed yet (I assume they have since been completed for some time now). Since we were completely satisfied with the Swan, we decided we would stay there again instead of trying the Dolphin. The Swan lobby is not as large or grande as the Dolphin, but is beautiful nonetheless. I do agree with a previous post that the Dolphin has the advantage of the 24-hour Tubbi's cafe. But again, that would only be a short walk across the lake to get there from the Swan.

There are some nice aerial shots you can find on the web for the Swan and Dolphin that will give you a better perspective of their relation in distance to the pools and Boardwalk.

Here is a link to an aerial photo of the Swan and Dolphin, note that the grotto pool is just cut out of the picture at the bottom left corner and the Boardwalk is just above the Swan on the right side of the photo.

http://www.disneypix.com/2000ft/Roll2/Roll02_018.htm

Jasper - You've got me real excited for this property! I read that the Swan has the queen beds and the Dolphin has doubles, that might be a problem for my DH who is tall and we're used to a king at home. I might look into the Swan too, after reading you're post...off to check out the link you provided. Thanks alot!

Sugermouse - thank you:D

I can echo the other posters, both are wonderful hotels. We stayed at the Dolphin this summer and can't wait to return. Our kids are 12 & 9 and truly loved the entire property. Our kids loved the Grotto pool, especially the slide.

While I can't personally compare, I'm told the difference between the beds is very minor, they're oversized doubles at the Dolphin. They also have rooms with king beds.

While the walk from the Swan is short, the convenience of having Tubbi's in the same building is wonderful at the end of a long day. We were lucky to be right by the West elevators and Tubbi's was right there for us.

The Dolphin Fountain is also a great spot for a quick meal, ice cream or dessert or take-out. It's modeled after a 50's style soda fountain, not unlike Beaches n Cream at the Beach Club. We've been to both and prefer the Fountain.

Transportation to the parks is also great. There are busses to MK and AK and boats to Epcot and MGM. You can also walk to those 2 properties. The Boardwalk area is wonderful, an attraction all it's own - with no admission charge! We spent many evenings there...and loved getting breakfast at the Boardwalk Bakery.

Paras4ri - glad to hear you had a great time too :D

Thanks for sharing you're experience as well. I have ressies for the Dolphin presently and I'm waivering back and forth, I just can't make up my mind :hyper: I know my kids will love the pool area too :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter