• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swan and Dolphin: Why?

goisles26

Earning My Ears
So here is my question: I understand the value of staying off-property because it can usually save a ton of money. As I look at reservations at S&W they seem to be on par with the Disney owned hotels. That said, what are the advantages of staying there verses just staying at a Disney? They don't seem to offer any advantages as far as I can tell.

So here is my question: I understand the value of staying off-property because it can usually save a ton of money. As I look at reservations at S&W they seem to be on par with the Disney owned hotels. That said, what are the advantages of staying there verses just staying at a Disney? They don't seem to offer any advantages as far as I can tell.

I would reccommend the S&D thread - lots of good information there.

Off the top of my head the advantages:

1. Location! They are Epcot resorts and you can either walk or take a short boat ride to Epcot or HS.
2. Disney transportation to all resorts
3. Extra magic hours
4. Wonderful restaraunts and a spa on-site
5. Price point is usually less than other Disney resorts

It is VERY easy to find rates typically below Disney deluxe in the area (BW, BC/YC). I am a teacher and S/D offers discounts to teachers, nurses and others. S/D are owned by Starwood so you can often apply discounts for Sheraton and/or Westin (also I'm a Starwood Preferred member so you can earn points there).

Also:
Location. Walk/boat to Epcot or DHS.
Better bedding.
Bigger rooms.
Great pool/beach area.
Many dining options.
Car rental onsite.
When I combine the rate with these amenities it's hard to beat it.

I have stayed at the Dolphin and at value, moderate, and deluxe resorts. As other posters have stated, there are some benefits that the Swan/Dolphin offer that offsite hotels do not:
Extra Magic Hours
Disney Transportation (not a hotel shuttle that goes once an hour)
On the Boardwalk area with walking distance to EP/HS and the boat transporatation

But after staying at the Dolphin, it is not my first choice for a vacation with my family at Disney. The regular rooms and bathrooms were smaller and older than the Disney deluxe resorts. Some of the sit down restaurants are nice but the quick service is much worse than the Disney quick service resort restaurants. There is not the Disney theming everywhere (that is a con to me but may be a pro to others!). These are also resort hotels and many of the people staying there are on business. I prefer the hotel amock with families :) Service (for my week long stay) was so-so. The best service I received, and biggest smiles, were from the people working in the Disney store in the hotel.

This is my opinion and obviously there are lots of folks that love staying there for family vacations but for me, it is fine for work or if I wanted to go by myself and wanted an 'indoor' hotel.

The price point at the Swan/Dolphin is often considerably less than the Disney Epcot area Deluxes. Using the teacher rate, my resort view/balcony room at the Dolphin for a four night stay is costing me over $1,200 less than a resort view room at the Boardwalk Inn for the same dates.

Gotcha. I was under the impression that S&D were on par with the Disney moderates, thus my price questions. If they are in fact on par with the deluxe hotels, then yes I easily see the cost savings. Thanks for the help.

Gotcha. I was under the impression that S&D were on par with the Disney moderates, thus my price questions. If they are in fact on par with the deluxe hotels, then yes I easily see the cost savings. Thanks for the help.

Many people, myself included, would say that the rooms are actually nicer and more upscale than at most of the Disney deluxes (although admittedly far less themed), so in the perception of many people, you get a lot more for your money. Interestingly, however, we generally stay on-site, even though the rooms are "nicer" at the S/D.

We were treated superbly at S & D on 3 (?4) different trips.

We ended up at different locations the last 3 trips - for some reason we booked POFQ one trip & I don't even know why. But we loved it there.

Then I won ESPN the Weekend trip & we were at Beach Club. I love the location but would never pay out of pocket to stay there.

Also won a trip that had us at Gaylord Palms (very familiar with Gaylord due to conferences), but we had a rental car so it was fine - other than having to pay for parking & be 4 miles from the park entry LOL.

This trip is back to Disney property for the simple reason I have $1000 in Disney gift cards from rewards programs. Otherwise, where would my first choice be? Right back to the S/D!!!!

Big disadvantage - not being able to room charge
Big advantage - not being able to room charge

:rotfl:

It's a bit too easy to let the room charging get away from you!

I believe if you sign up for their monthly recipe club, you will also receive room discount offers through there.

Many people, myself included, would say that the rooms are actually nicer and more upscale than at most of the Disney deluxes (although admittedly far less themed), so in the perception of many people, you get a lot more for your money.

This is my opinion as well. While I think the BC/YC/Boardwalk and some of the other Disney deluxe resorts are nice, (and have stayed at many of them), you can't justify the huge difference in rates (that is, if you get a good deal/discount at the Swan/Dolphin) to stay at a "Disney" owned resort - because they don't offer anything that my family would want or need that we can't get at the Swan. Plus, the beds are AMAZING. haha.

I love Disney just has much as the next guy, but I feel very at "Disney" while at the Swan and Dolphin and sticking "Disney's" in front of the hotel name wouldn't make it "more" Disney to me. But, opinions will vary.

It has been said before...but if you can get a special rate (teacher, nurse, police, etc...), the Swan and Dolphin hotels are a great deal. You can use the Disney Transportation system and EMH. And the accommodations are great! You cannot beat the location! Walking distance to Epcot and the Boardwalk. Need I say more?

They also have AAA and AARP discounts which USUALLY are less than the Disney "specials". I think they lose alot of people because they do not have Magical Express from the airport.

One difference the Swan & Dolphin have compared to the WDW Resorts is that they charge you for parking if you happen to have a car, so that's one thing I don't think they should do because I wonder how many of the offsite hotels on 192, Lake Buena Vista and International Drive actually do that?

Upsides...

Staying at a deluxe resort in between EPCOT and HS for half the money (around $200 including tax and resort fee) it costs to stay at BW or BC/YC (From $350 to $475 depending on season).

Get the same transportation and park perks as the WDW, early entry, extra hours...

Downside...
No ME, No Dining plans (No biggie for me)

I got to stay at the Dolphin one year, when the last POR refurb was going on in 2002.

I loved the fact that it was more of a business person, or adult hotel. Loved getting the paper every morning. Rooms were definately more upscale along the lines of a deluxe. Restaurants were fabulous - even Tubbi's Buffeteria had some wonderful food. Back then, I didn't know how many restaurants were on-site, so looking back I was grateful for staying there. So much to choose from.

And the location could not be beat.

My sister is a Starwood employee. She can stay there for pennies compared to what she would pay at any other WDW resort. Huge benefit for anyone connected with the company! If she and I ever go down together, that is definitely where we will be staying!

I also stayed there when my Dad was an employee at Sheraton (who owned both at that time). Totally worth the deal we got!

You are getting a deluxe room in a phenomenal location for 1/3 the price of a regular deluxe like the YC, BC and BW

We love staying there, we are a Starwoods Club member so we can trade in points for free nights. The location is amazing and the restaurants are great. The beds are the best bed in all of WDW!

Honestly the only thing that is a negative to us is not having the ability to charge WDW to the room...other than that the resorts ROCK!

One difference the Swan & Dolphin have compared to the WDW Resorts is that they charge you for parking if you happen to have a car, so that's one thing I don't think they should do because I wonder how many of the offsite hotels on 192, Lake Buena Vista and International Drive actually do that?

An increasing number of hotels charge resort fees and/or parking fees.

I've always stayed at a Disney Resort. My daughter works for the company that owns the Swan and Dolphin. She got me a crazy low rate that I could not resist. I hope I don't miss the Disney magic too much!!! I looks like a beautiful resort. Can't wait for March!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter