• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SW comment I thought I'd share

chriserbell

Mouseketeer
I was asking a co-worker today if she has ever flown southwest (we have not) b/c today DD went on a school trip to chicago and the were flying southwest...my co-worker's comment was "it's like flying a public bus"

needless to say my DD confirmed and thought it was not an experience she would like to repeat on a trip again

Hmm. Definitely not my opinion!

But hey, a couple less people competing with me for A boarding passes next time I fly SW. :)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Personally, I love SW. I have flown the so called "legacy" airlines (Delta, USAir) and SW can't be beat for their prices and customer service. I have never had a flight time changed, while Delta changed my flight time ( and my reserved seat) six times within four months. And the gate agents and phone agents have always been pleasant, even when I had a problem.
Is the open seating policy for everyone? And there is always complaining from those who claim they don't know about it until the annouce the boarding. Umm, did you pick a seat number when you booked your ticket?
All I know is that SW can board a full flight within 20 minutes. There aren't many airlines that can make that claim.

I was asking a co-worker today if she has ever flown southwest (we have not) b/c today DD went on a school trip to chicago and the were flying southwest...my co-worker's comment was "it's like flying a public bus"

needless to say my DD confirmed and thought it was not an experience she would like to repeat on a trip again

I am TRYING to figure out what the difference would be between SW and any of the other's that would make them NOT like a public bus.

The only thing I can find is assisgned seating.

However, like a public bus the other major airlines have a lot of delays. Unlike my public bus system SW is nearly always on time. Unlike my public bus system SW emp0loyees tend to be polite.....

:rotfl2:

So....all airlines have a huge line of passengers waiting at the gate to board. Is there much difference between callling those in zone 1 or calling those in group A 1-15? I don't think so.
The new boarding system is working quite nicely. My dh just flew SW from TFGreen to Baltimore..he loved it. Said he would have no issues flying SW again. I love that we can sit there, all nice and comfy, up until the actual boarding call. The other thing dh noticed is how fast SW gets in the air.

So....all airlines have a huge line of passengers waiting at the gate to board. Is there much difference between callling those in zone 1 or calling those in group A 1-15? I don't think so.
The new boarding system is working quite nicely. My dh just flew SW from TFGreen to Baltimore..he loved it. Said he would have no issues flying SW again. I love that we can sit there, all nice and comfy, up until the actual boarding call. The other thing dh noticed is how fast SW gets in the air.

Actually I was flying Delta a few weeks ago and realized that in truth.... SW"s boarding area is MUCH more organized. :rotfl2:

Delta calls for Zone 2. You have to SHOVE the folks in Zone 9 who are camped directly in front of the boarding area out of your way. I mean it's basically IMPOSSIBLE to get near the boarding door.

And then there's the men who are in First Class Zone 1 who were standing IN the boarding are right beside the scanner for 40 minutes to make sure they were FIRST on the plane. :confused3

Actually I was flying Delta a few weeks ago and realized that in truth.... SW"s boarding area is MUCH more organized. :rotfl2:

Delta calls for Zone 2. You have to SHOVE the folks in Zone 9 who are camped directly in front of the boarding area out of your way. I mean it's basically IMPOSSIBLE to get near the boarding door.

And then there's the men who are in First Class Zone 1 who were standing IN the boarding are right beside the scanner for 40 minutes to make sure they were FIRST on the plane. :confused3

Air travel, ya gotta love it. This sounds like every experience I've had no matter who I fly. Actually this sounds like my daily commute. Public transportation is just what it is. Until I can afford a private jet to Orlando I have to deal with it. Actually using the public transportation system is the same, whether I'm using the DC subway system, the MARC commuter trains, or flying one of my favorite airlines out of Dulles. (Actually for a real fun time, try using DC subway/Metro next week during Cherry Blossum Week, add thousands of tourist to the tens of thousands of us commuters and a fun time will be had by all :scared1: -- 28 years of it and 2 more left to go!) I'm sorry, pushing and shoving and rudeness....all a part of commuting. (I don't like it, and I don't do it, but I gotta deal with it) :scared:

See I am lucky.

I take the Marta in Atlanta. For some reason folks in Atlanta seem "afraid" of Marta. So I rarely have a problem getting on finding a seat etc LOL!

(There are exceptions, Peachtree Road Race, Mart weeks etc... but day to day communting is easy!)

I also love SW, we flew Delta in Nov. 07 and I really didn't like it - I was wishing the whole time that we were on SW instead!!

Yep, my feelings exactly. It used to be that parents were told to wait until the very end of boarding to board with their kids. That way the kids got to expend all that energy, rather than be seated in one place for the extra 20 mins. Not anymore....those families now have to be first onboard. There was one flight, with JB, last summer. As we sat there, waiting patiently for our group to be called to board, the gate attendant made the announcement that anyone flying with young children or those who felt they needed more time to get down the jetway or into their seats should board now. Well...my 13 y/o dd watched as more than a few families with kids no younger than 10 hopped up and raced to the gate!! She just rolled her eyes and asked what the rush was to just sit in your seat?? Too funny. She gets it, why can't adults?

I think Southwest is awesome. Last year, a group of 8 of us went to Disney and my family flew SW and my sisters family flew USairways. Our flight was on time and the crew was extremely pleasant. My sister said her crew was grouchy and unhelpful. I guess all airlines have their good and bad days/flights. I think that Southwest makes it affordable for us to fly to disney and that makes me happy! :thumbsup2

I drive from Ontario to Buffalo just so i can fly Southwest. Much better prices than Canada. I love Southwest and never had any problems with them.

I fly often for business and 3-4 times per year to WDW for pleasure. SWA is great and my airline of choice. I've flown Delta, Jet Blue, Airtran, USAIR and most of the other major carriers.

As a former 'road warrior' business traveller, I absolutely love Southwest airlines compared to a lot of others. :cloud9: As for a 'public bus' feeling, well, I'm not a fan of public transporation in any form so it is what it is on Southwest. I will say that their new boarding procedure is much more desireable than that of say United, Useless Airways (US Airways) and AirTran.

Another SW fan here!

About 20 years ago, I flew People's Express. Once. I felt like I was in a cattle car! They didn't even have seats in the waiting area, you had to stand or sit on the floor!

But, SW is fine, and their Customer Service is great. I love that there's no penalty for canceling, or even missing, a flight. I saw yesterday that my upcoming flight to Orlando had dropped in price to $129 round trip -- I was able to get the new price, no hassles!

I can only imagine those people have never used a "public bus". :sad2: As I was riding my train into work this morning trying to avoid the man that was sleeping and smelled like cat pee and trying to destick my feet from the floor and trying to stay out of the loud fight the couple down the car were haivng... I would have given just about anything to be transported to work in an environment as nice as a Southwest plane.

Kids get shot on public busses, people have drug overdoses, fights break out, you often stand for miles with some weirdo pressed against you, your stuff gets stolen, and people beg you for money/cigarettes/drugs. I've yet to have any of those happen to me on Southwest.

Just used SW over easter weekend from PHL to Nashville and it was GREAT! Good service, both segments arrived early, we will use SW again in the future!

Cows.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter