SW Boarding Question

Kevenswife2

WDW vs DLR...impossible to choose a favorite!
I just printed my boarding passes for Southwest, whom we've never flown with. Our passes are B1, B2, and B3. Any idea how many people will be boarding ahead of us? pixiedust:

I think about 30. They will let the families w/ children under 4, business before they let A board. At least that's how it was last year. We didn't fly with them this year b/c we had booked a SW vacation with them -1st in the airport on the trip from Disney & were the last to board the plane. My kids were separated from the adults in our party and the flight attendants did nothing to help us. My kids rode next to strangers & I thought this was absolutely unacceptable. They were 10 & 6 at the time & couldn't board early b/c they were over the age of 4. I have heard they have changed their policies now! When I wrote to them they just apologized & said I should have boarded early so that we could've been together. I would have printed our passes 24 hrs prior but they are not a paticipating airline w/ Disney. I wouldn't worry-you will be together w/ boarding B group-have a great trip!:goodvibes

Southwest boards special needs first then group "A”. Group "A" has 60 numbers in it but 1 to 15 are business select which 90% of the time has no people. Than anyone traveling with a child under 4. Than your group will board.

My kids were separated from the adults in our party and the flight attendants did nothing to help us. My kids rode next to strangers & I thought this was absolutely unacceptable. They were 10 & 6 at the time.

This, right here, is my major fear in a nutshell!! I can't believe noone would move and allow your children to sit by at least one adult in your group. Sometimes I wonder about the world...it's becoming very 'ME' oriented. Guess noone wanted to give up their 'prime' aisle or window location :sad2: I would not want my DD10 sitting next to strangers. I want to be there in case of an emergency.

Tip...if it ever happens again, tell your childen to get sick and barf on the stranger who wouldn't let a mother sit next to their child. :crazy2: That should do the job! :thumbsup2

I have an additional question. Is there someplace that we can go to print off our boarding passes while we are at Disney. We're staying at Pop. We're bringing a laptop but we will not have a printer.

Thanks

. My kids were separated from the adults in our party and the flight attendants did nothing to help us. My kids rode next to strangers & I thought this was absolutely unacceptable. They were 10 & 6 at the time & couldn't board early b/c they were over the age of 4. I have heard they have changed their policies now!

Apparently you had an attendant that was not very helpful. On our last SW flight from MCO there was a female approx 30 yrs old. She started crying because she was unable to sit with her bf. Our flight was completely full. The flight attendant announced over and over for someone to swap seats with her. They asked her if she may be pregnant. She said No. They asked was this her first time to fly. She said No. She replied that she just would like to sit with her BF. (She was in as seat directly behind him.) Someone finally swapped with her.

Unless things have changed since February you do not have to actually print your boarding passes at the 24hr window. All you have to do is check in online. You can still print the boarding passes when you get to the airport. I just used my cell phone to check in. SW has a specific web address to use and it was very easy. That is the only time I have ever used my phone's internet access (and it is a crappy phone not an iphone or anything) and I don't pay for it but the charges were about 5$ from my cell company.

Apparently you had an attendant that was not very helpful. On our last SW flight from MCO there was a female approx 30 yrs old. She started crying because she was unable to sit with her bf. Our flight was completely full. The flight attendant announced over and over for someone to swap seats with her. They asked her if she may be pregnant. She said No. They asked was this her first time to fly. She said No. She replied that she just would like to sit with her BF. (She was in as seat directly behind him.) Someone finally swapped with her.

Well, she could have barfed on whomever was beside her if noone had traded :laughing: (What a baby!)

I'm fellin' ornery today because tomorrow I'LL BE AT DISNEY!!! :love:
:dance3:

I have an additional question. Is there someplace that we can go to print off our boarding passes while we are at Disney. We're staying at Pop. We're bringing a laptop but we will not have a printer.

Thanks

The front desk of your resort will do it. If you are in a park, you can go to Guest Services. Just make sure you have all your information with you.

You can use your laptop/cellphone to check in online and then print them at the airport like the OP said. Also, we have had the front desk of the hotel check us in even though SW is not one of their airlines listed, they do it all the time. They will even print your boarding passes out for the flight that you already check in for, that way you have them. We usually go to Guest Relations in the parks to print out the tickets too, just give yourself some time to wait in line for a few minutes before the 24 hour mark and you will be all set. We had Guest Relations in MK print out our passes in August after we already checked in online, it worked out fine for us!:thumbsup2

...we had booked a SW vacation with them -1st in the airport on the trip from Disney & were the last to board the plane.

When I wrote to them they just apologized & said I should have boarded early so that we could've been together. I would have printed our passes 24 hrs prior but they are not a paticipating airline w/ Disney.

You couldn't check in online NOT b/c it's not a participating airline, but b/c you used SW Vacations. I believe it has *just recently* changed to where you can check in online if you use SWV, but before b/c your tickets weren't online tickets, you couldln't check in online. Had to check in at the airport. Could have taken a cab 24 hours earlier and checked in at the airport, I believe, but that's no fun!

With a normal ticket (and as I said, I think with the SW vacations tix now) you can check in at your hotel, asking them to help you, or even at the parks. You don't have to print anything, you can just check in then get the printout at the airport.

This, right here, is my major fear in a nutshell!! I can't believe noone would move and allow your children to sit by at least one adult in your group. Sometimes I wonder about the world...it's becoming very 'ME' oriented. Guess noone wanted to give up their 'prime' aisle or window location :sad2: I would not want my DD10 sitting next to strangers. I want to be there in case of an emergency.

Tip...if it ever happens again, tell your childen to get sick and barf on the stranger who wouldn't let a mother sit next to their child. :crazy2: That should do the job! :thumbsup2

Or you could do what most people do - get your boarding pass at the 24 hour mark and board early enough to get seats together. It isn't the other passenger's fault that you (general you, I know that this hasn't happened to you) didn't organise yourself enough to board in time to find two seats together.

Threatening to vomit is going to make me less likely to move (and actual vomiting may result in my throwing up all over your child).

As I've stated many times - I was flying as an UM (no parents on the plane at all) at 5 and fully by myself at 12 and lived to tell the tale (actually, I fully enjoyed all my flights).

Thanks

There are print kiosks at all of the airports......so use your laptop to check yourself in.....or If you have a cell phone with internet access you can check yourself in while standing in line at Disney! mobile.southwest.com That's what I did....waiting to board Soarin in the fast pass line...I was getting worried that we'd get inside the ride before that 24 hour mark got there! Yeah, I know 10 minutes wasn't going to be a big deal, but I love getting A's.

Then when you get to the airport you can either have them print your boarding pass when you leave your luggage, or you can print it yourself at the kiosk (located near the Southwest check in desk).

You can also go to any Guest Services location in the parks, or the front desk of any of the resorts and ask them to check you in and print your boarding pass.

HAHAHA on the tip!! I just didn't want my kids alone-it's ok for adults to be separated but not our 2 young kids!! You will be fine! Your boarding passes will allow you to board alot earlier than we did. I would now fly w/ SW again but they did lose our business this year due to their lack of concern for us.

You couldn't check in online NOT b/c it's not a participating airline, but b/c you used SW Vacations. I believe it has *just recently* changed to where you can check in online if you use SWV, but before b/c your tickets weren't online tickets, you couldln't check in online. Had to check in at the airport. Could have taken a cab 24 hours earlier and checked in at the airport, I believe, but that's no fun!

With a normal ticket (and as I said, I think with the SW vacations tix now) you can check in at your hotel, asking them to help you, or even at the parks. You don't have to print anything, you can just check in then get the printout at the airport.

Yes, I did just recently read they are doing things a bit different now. Hooray!!! I really loved flying SW & we did for many trips-not just Disney-but they lost our business this last trip b/c they just didn't seem to care. I would fly with them again now that the policies have changed a bit. I wish Disney would participate w/ them seems to be many flyers with SW it would make things easier for alot of us!!!!:goodvibes

Also wanted to mention...the flight was totally booked due to a cancelled flt. from somewhere-they were trying to get those passengers on the flight so not to miss their connecting flt. elsewhere. The flight attendant wasn't nasty she just said well maybe someone will move for you. More that ticked me off though was the people pushing their own wheelchairs filled with food & bags to board first. I could see if they were really in need of those wheelchairs-but 2 of them were not!!!!! That's in the past & I hope when we do travel again we will be happier with the flights-again, I would fly with them again. I guess I just had a really miserable experience that day!:goodvibes

Southwest boards special needs first then group "A”. Group "A" has 60 numbers in it but 1 to 15 are business select which 90% of the time has no people. Than anyone traveling with a child under 4. Than your group will board.

Yep...I love getting A16, lol.

ONE adult will be allowed to board per child under 4....not the whole family...so it still behooves you to try to get an A boarding pass. The earlier you can get on board the easier it is to get those little ones settled in before the aisles start filling up with B and C passengers.

As for the person sitting apart from their children.....you must have gotten a horrible flight crew (which I'd say is rare for my experience with SW). I've been on flights where the crew has said the plane ain't moving until Mom and kid are sitting together, period. And they've gotten that blunt about it after asking a few times politely for people to volunteer. I have been one of those that moved when I'm travelling alone, but when I'm with my kids I don't volunteer. My kids are just now at that age where I might consider it just to get the plane moving, but even as pre-teens I just feel better with them not sitting next to a stranger.

I always imagined that if I were in the position of having to put my children apart from me on a flight....I'd take them to their seat and while strapping them in start saying things like "now honey, here's the barf bag if you feel sick try to remember to use it and not the floor ok"......or, "if you feel sick ask this nice man here next to you to help you hold the barf bag". Or....actually I figured my kids would probably be in tears already so I'd just play that up..."Don't cry honey, you remember that last time you cried yourself sick, you don't want to baf again do you". Biggest fear most people have in enclosed places, is someone getting sick on them or spreading germs. "Honey, I'll be back in 2 hours to give you more of that flu medicine...just hang on till then ok". I'm guessing the folks next to the child will knock mom to the aisle floor changing seats, lol.

Thank you for all you help. I feel alot better about it now. We will have wireless access with our laptop so it will all work out fine.

Yep...I love getting A16, lol.

ONE adult will be allowed to board per child under 4....not the whole family...so it still behooves you to try to get an A boarding pass. The earlier you can get on board the easier it is to get those little ones settled in before the aisles start filling up with B and C passengers.

As for the person sitting apart from their children.....you must have gotten a horrible flight crew (which I'd say is rare for my experience with SW). I've been on flights where the crew has said the plane ain't moving until Mom and kid are sitting together, period. And they've gotten that blunt about it after asking a few times politely for people to volunteer. I have been one of those that moved when I'm travelling alone, but when I'm with my kids I don't volunteer. My kids are just now at that age where I might consider it just to get the plane moving, but even as pre-teens I just feel better with them not sitting next to a stranger.

I always imagined that if I were in the position of having to put my children apart from me on a flight....I'd take them to their seat and while strapping them in start saying things like "now honey, here's the barf bag if you feel sick try to remember to use it and not the floor ok"......or, "if you feel sick ask this nice man here next to you to help you hold the barf bag". Or....actually I figured my kids would probably be in tears already so I'd just play that up..."Don't cry honey, you remember that last time you cried yourself sick, you don't want to baf again do you". Biggest fear most people have in enclosed places, is someone getting sick on them or spreading germs. "Honey, I'll be back in 2 hours to give you more of that flu medicine...just hang on till then ok". I'm guessing the folks next to the child will knock mom to the aisle floor changing seats, lol.

The crew wasn't bad, I think they just had a situation with another flight & people needing to get on the plane. I just think that children up to 16 should not be away from a parent-unless of course they are flying solo. In this world today there are too many wackos out there & I don't need to be concerned about my kids sitting alone possibly next to one-that's all. I wish I could've printed out out passes-but at the time I was told by Disney staff I'd have to check in at the airport & ME got us there in plenty of time-we were not un-organized by any means!

Nope, it would make me far less likely to move (and if you read the frequent flyer boards, most there would have the same reaction).

I don't fly SW (I'm Canadian and SW doesn't fly where I need to go), but I'm actually generally willing to move my seat IF the parent doesn't try to play any stupid games. Try your suggested act and I won't be moving. And if the FA attempted to make me move, I would be insisting on an involuntary denied boarding (IDB), which would mean that I'd take the next flight but the airline would forking over a fair bit of money fist (basically the amount you'd get from being involuntarily bumped from your flight).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter