SW and online check in when you have luggage

Princess Amy

Nurse by day. Disney Princess by night.
Alrighty, I have not flown SW in quite a few years. Nor did I take advantage of online check in because I had a child under 4 which guaranteed boarding early. Well those days are over :sad1:

I know you can check in online 24 hours prior to your departure time. My question is what about luggage? Do you just print out your boarding passes at home and at the airport still go in line to check your luggage? Also, when you check in online does it ask how many pieces of luggage per person?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks to anyone that can answer them.

4 days to go!! Whoo-Hoo!:woohoo:

At my airport, they have two lines. ONe for checking in and/or checking luggage, and the other for people who have their boarding passes and are just checking luggage.

I don't remember having a spot while checking i to mention luggage, but when you go through the process at the airport, that's when you state the luggage being checked.

I had my boarding passes printed, and checked in curb-side at my airport - same line for those that had printed/not printed their passes. They just looked at the passes, and printed off the luggage tags.

I just checked in online and did not see any prompt about checking luggage. I hope I did not miss it? I think JetBlue asks when you do online check in how many bags each person has.

When you get to your airport (if you post which, we can tell you exactly) there will be lines for people with e-tickets to check in / check baggage. Usually, the line leads to self-serve kiosks. You sign in (with either your 6-letter reservation number of a credit card with your name on it) and tell it you are checking bags. It will ask how many you have. Then people behind the counter will print out bar-code strips for your bags, call your name, check your id, etc.

When you get to your airport (if you post which, we can tell you exactly) there will be lines for people with e-tickets to check in / check baggage. Usually, the line leads to self-serve kiosks. You sign in (with either your 6-letter reservation number of a credit card with your name on it) and tell it you are checking bags. It will ask how many you have. Then people behind the counter will print out bar-code strips for your bags, call your name, check your id, etc.

This is how Columbus, oh and Orlando have worked for me. I just walk up to kiosks put in my Conf # it will bring up ressie, ask if I want to reprint boarding pass/check bags i choose check bags, it asks how many bags each person on ressie has and 98% of time I'm finshing up and getting called for bag weigh in at same time.

It is more important to actually check in at the 24 hour mark than to print boarding passes. You don't have to print your boarding passes at home, you can reprint you boarding passes at the airport when you check your baggage. Checking baggage and checking in early have nothing to do with the other.

If you wait to check in for your flight when you get to the airport to check your bags, you will most likely get a high B or C boarding pass. With your 4 year old, you could still be boarded between the B and C boarding passes, but you get a better selection of seats if you have an A boarding pass.

We are flying out of BWI airport. I am definitely taking advantage of online check in. Just didn't know what to do about checking in luggage.

Thanks all you wonderful Diser's!!

BWI has a huge SW check-in area. There are two separate sets of "corrals". One if for folks who have e-tickets and just need to check-in / check luggage. The other is for folks who need ticketing help. You want to wait in the e-ticket corral. Even if the other line looks shorter, it goes much slower. When you get to the front of the line, you will be directed to a kiosk as described above. Your other option is to let the sky caps check you in outside.

The nice thing about BWI is that it is so large, there are informational SWA workers directing people to the appropriate line and who will answer questions.

We are flying out of ISP (Long Island) and I wonder how to do it there?

I flew out of there once but I dont remember curbside which wasnt a big deal as it was only me. This time it is six of us and I sure would love to do curbside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter