• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SW airlines- flying with child

18 and over need ID, so you'll be fine. From TSA's website: "TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. Contact the airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18."

If you are a single parent or flying without your child's other parent, you may run into TSA demanding a notarized letter from the other parent allowing the child out of the state. It is more prevalent with international departures, but with the rise in custodial kidnappings, the authorities are starting to look for permission to fly with your own kids!

My DGS (6) has flown with both sets of grandparents several times in the last few years and TSA has never done more than ask him his name. Never asked for any type of permission slip, notarized or not.

If you are a single parent or flying without your child's other parent, you may run into TSA demanding a notarized letter from the other parent allowing the child out of the state. It is more prevalent with international departures, but with the rise in custodial kidnappings, the authorities are starting to look for permission to fly with your own kids!

No. Not required for domestic travel.

I've always taken a copy of GD's (now 5) birth certificate when her parents aren't along for the flight.

Unless you are leaving the country not an issue. We have flown multiple times with multiple foster kids who are obviously not our bio kids as well as our soon to be adopted daughter. Never a second glance.

And has anyone ever asked to see it?

Last edited:

Sources?

?
TSA is not interested in who is flying with whom or why, that just isn't their job! I fly with my children, my nieces and my children's friends often, none of them look like me and I and am the only adult. I have never Ever been questioned or have the kids been asked for any type of ID.

As stated above children under 18 don't need ID unless it is to prove they qualify for a special age based fare (and those are rare and generally more expensive than regular fares!). As always - to be sure check TSA.gov and or the airline website for the most up to date info.

Always had a notarized permission note from parent when taking a niece to WDW. Also requested that they have a state issued ID with them to cash traveler's checks if needed. Only had security ask them for ID once.

This is COMPLETELY INCORRECT. You are not required to have ANY ID for ANY child under the age of 18. There is one exception, that is the case of a lap child where to allow the child free flight, he must be proven to be under age 2. There is NO requirement whatsoever for proving who a child is to you, or their age.

I work for TSA.

Nope. Children are allowed to travel with anyone anywhere domestically. Grandma, Aunt, best friend, parent - doesn't matter and you don't need a note of any kind.

NeuroCindy...Lending some support to you on your PhD journey..Not sure if I'd make it through without a trip to Disney. I have a trip planned for November 2016 which is kinda the halfway mark in my PhD program!!!

Last edited:

TSA has ZERO authority to request this type of documentation. As other posters have mentioned, unless it is an international flight, no documentation at all is required or will be asked for.

Always had a notarized permission note from parent when taking a niece to WDW. Also requested that they have a state issued ID with them to cash traveler's checks if needed. Only had security ask them for ID once.

Traveler's checks? Seriously? Do those still exist?

Security (assume you mean the TSA) should not be asking a child under 18 for ID.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter