Sushi lovers, help me out

Boy am I glad I found this thread! Thanks for starting it :goodvibes

I have had sushi a couple times. I also like the rolls. I tried the California Roll and hated it. I do NOT like avacado. It's very hard for me to find a roll that doesn't come with avacado.

Salmon Skin Roll is my favorite. The Shrimp Tempura roll runs a real close 2nd. I look forward to trying something new whenever we go out for Japanese.

Now, for anyone (which is a lot here) with experience with a lot of rolls - Do you know of some off the top of your head that do not have avacado? I did look on some of the menus but it just lists the name of the roll, not what's in it.

TIA

It's very hard for me to find a roll that doesn't come with avacado.

Finally, someone else who likes sushi but not avocado! There are a couple of sushi places near me, but it's difficult to find interesting (more than just single fish + rice + nori) rolls that have neither avocado nor cream cheese.

I can get spicy tuna rolls in the grocery store sometimes, but mostly all they have are california rolls, philly rolls, and an assortment of stuff with "no raw fish!" in big letters on it. I happen to like raw fish.

I do NOT like avacado. It's very hard for me to find a roll that doesn't come with avacado.
Do you know of some off the top of your head that do not have avacado? I did look on some of the menus but it just lists the name of the roll, not what's in it.

TIA

If you are ordering in a restuarant, just ask for no avacado. If the rolls are being made fresh for you, then it should be no problem. This works very well for us at our favorite sushi place since we also don't like avacado and turn in a big list of items (all-you-can eat sushi restuarant) with all the rolls marked "no avacado".

I'm guessing not everyone makes every roll the same way even if they have the same name, so you would probably need to ask what's in each roll.

Everything my grocery store carries has avacado. We need to find out who this avacado kingpin is and find out what bribe he sends to put his stuff in every fricking roll :lmao:

Everything my grocery store carries has avacado. We need to find out who this avacado kingpin is and find out what bribe he sends to put his stuff in every fricking roll :lmao:

Or better yet, buy stock in his company! It might be the only stock not taking a nosedive.

I would recommend the Kona Island Sushi Bar at the Polynesian and trying the Shrimp Tempura Roll. It comes with Tempura Shrimp, Fresh Mango Served with Lilikoi Sauce and it costs $12.99 and is also very good.

FYI-
I love Sushi and eat it as often as possible. By far the best Sushi I have ever had was @ Kimono's @ the Swan. If you want to try a cooked roll, Spider Rolls, which are actually fried soft shell crab are amazing!! Try some you just may find you love it!!

FYI-
I love Sushi and eat it as often as possible. By far the best Sushi I have ever had was @ Kimono's @ the Swan. If you want to try a cooked roll, Spider Rolls, which are actually fried soft shell crab are amazing!! Try some you just may find you love it!!

IMHO, Kimono's has the best sushi on property. Then comes Japan (can't remember the name of the restaurant). CG comes in a distant third. I have not had it at the poly yet.

Funny enough my sushi addiction started at Kimonos - my mom took me a few years back (she is a big believer that if you have sake first it lowers your inhibitions to enjoy the sushi more...I don't need it as i just fell in love with sushi!) I tried the spicy tuna rolls, the asparagus rolls, and the california rolls....all 3 were great but the tuna is my favorite...my whole family thinks it hilarious now because the first thing I look for on any menu now is either seared tuna or sushi :) Try it, it's great!

I just got adventurous last summer and tried a nigiri platter - which is just the raw fish and rice - I was not a huge fan...I prefer the rolls, whether inside out or regular they are awesome....

As others have said, you have plenty of options to try at WDW. If you try it and don't like it. Stop for a minute to decide what it is you didn't like. Then "dissect" the piece/roll, and eat one small piece of everything. This may sound odd, but it might be you simply don't like a component. For years, I wouldn't eat sushi because I didn't like it. Fast forward to three years ago. A sushi chef at an Asian restaurant asked me "why" I didn't like it. He then made me a California roll, and asked me to eat a piece. Then dissect and eat a second piece. Turns out.....I hate the taste of traditional nori. He then made me a "special" roll (cant remember specifics) made with white nori. That was my TADA moment. Now, I can eat sushi if they have a white or soy nori option. Luckily the Shrimp tempura Roll at both the Poly and CG is made with white nori. My preference is CG.

Turns out.....I hate the taste of traditional nori. He then made me a "special" roll (cant remember specifics) made with white nori. That was my TADA moment. Now, I can eat sushi if they have a white or soy nori option. Luckily the Shrimp tempura Roll at both the Poly and CG is made with white nori. My preference is CG.

Thats a great idea...but what is nori?

Nori is a sea weed I suppose. But what is sea weed? :confused3 Nori is an algae that grows into long strands of, well, what would one call it, sea weed that is harvested. :rotfl:

Nori is the green stuff usually used to make a sushi roll. An package of Nori that I have in the kitchen calls it sea weed. :lmao: The cook book by one of the first women Sushi chiefs says its an algae that grows into long strands, that well, sound like sea weed. :rotfl2:

Nori is a healthy food. Our youngest takes apart sushi rolls and eats what she likes. She is very picky. She is one of those nuts that don't like Avocados! Hard to believe there are people like that in the world. :lmao: But she likes Nori. I don't dare tell her that it is sea weed much less an algae. :banana::banana::banana::rotfl2:

Just eat it, its good. :rotfl:
Dan An Avocado Lover. ;)

:thumbsup2Kids here in Hawaii eat it as snack right of the jar. We also put nori on popcorn...Mmmmmmmm. Trt it youll like it! But seriously it is healthy altho high in salt. We also can sprinkle it on our rice.:goodvibes Seaweed is even in some toothpaste.......But I am getting waaaayyyyy off subject now !

Nicki!

You don't know what you are missing! Sushi is one of the healthiest and yummiest foods in the world!

As far as sushi at WDW:
KONA
- the shrimp tempura roll, served with mango and a lilikoi sauce
- luau roll - crab with pineapple

TOKYO DINING
- tempura sweet potato roll (amazing!)

CALIFORNIA GRILL (best on property)
- shrimp tempura roll with mango and watermelon with an orange ginger sauce ~ I dream about this roll!

Oh and white nori isn't really "nori" at all. It is rice paper! :)

Real sushi is RAW, none of the cooked options are really sushi.

Not true at all. "Sushi" actually refers to the way they prepare the *rice*. It has nothing whatsoever to do with whether the fish is cooked or raw or whether there's even fish in it at all. Real sushi can be made with raw or cooked fish or other meats or vegetables or fruit.

Sushi in early times was fast food. It was food you could buy on the street and eat in your hand while on the run.

There is a method to preserve fish that involves cooked rice mixed with salt. Fish are cleaned, stuffed with the rice mixture and put into a barrel where more rice is added over the fish. More fish is added with more rice until the barrel is full. The barrel lid is put in place and held down by two 100 pound rocks. :cool1:

Then the fish and rice ferments. :scared1: For 12-15 months or so... :rolleyes1

The rocks hold the lid in place when the barrel gasses. :scared1::laughing: Some times the barrel produces enough gasses to launch the lid and rocks into the air. :scared1:

The fermentation produces CO2 gas and lactic acid which helps preserve food. The fish shall we say has an aroma that drives off even Japanese. :eek::rolleyes1:lmao: But it is also considered a delicacy. :laughing:

There is a Bizarre Foods episode where they go to a place that makes this product. The traditional methods of production are going away in Japan.

So what the heck does this have to do with Sushi?

Since Rice historically has been a very expensive food throwing away the rice used to preserve the fish was wasteful. A method of fish preservation that took less time was created. With this method the rice can still be eaten.

Eventually an even faster method of preservation was created that used sake, rice wine and rice vineger. Sound familiar?

The fish preserved 12-15 months is called funa-zushi.

Fish preserved in a shorter amount of time is called nama nare-zushi.

The sake, rice wine and rice vinegar preservation method is called haye-zushi.

Eventually a pressed product called oshi-zushi was created where the rice was pressed into a shape. This was followed by hako-zushi which is boxed sushi where the rice was into a mold and fish was put on top. The mold top was pressed down to firm up the food which was then cut into bite sized pieces. Eventually other foods besides fish where put into the mold.

This pressed mold method eventually morphed into nigiri zushi of today. Nigiri was even quicker to produce but it was much larger than what we have today. The rice shortage after WWII forced a change in sushi. With rationed rice brought in by the customer, one cup of rice could make 10 pieces of sushi, seven nigiri and three pieces of roll.

Todays sushi was based on rice used to preserve fish through pickling/fermentation. The rice was then used to make a fast food product on the streets of Japan.

Whether you wish to think about this or have it as a topic of conversation while eating sushi I will leave to the reader/diner. :rotfl: Fermented fish does not sounds good but I would try it if it was prepared the traditional way. Might help to have a sinus infection though. :rotfl2:

Later,
Dan

Oh jeez, femented fish...now I want to run out and get me some :rotfl2:

Just because it is sooo tastey!!!
Here are some photos from Kona's Sushi Bar.
IMG_3966.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

Michael was learning. It was his first night.

Sorry about the quality on some of these. MIL took them. Not sure why I didn't take any.
DSC06517-1.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

Shrimp Tempura Roll with the mango sauce. SOOOO GOOOD!!!

IMG_3929.jpg

DH's not sure what is was. I don't remember right now.

IMG_3927.jpg

MIL and FIL had crab I believe. They are not into the raw stuff.

Here is a tip I haven't seen mentioned.

Mix the wasabi (green horseradish paste) with soy sauce. The more wasabi you use, the spicier the mixture will be. Dip your sushi in the wasabi/soy sauce. It'll clear out your sinuses, but that's one of the reasons to love sushi. :thumbsup2

California rolls are definitely the thing to try first. I'm very fond of Philadelphia rolls too. I don't know what they're called, but I also like these rice pocket things filled with rice and topped with salmon roe. Ca. rolls coated in that salmon roe are really good too; sometimes they're called orange rolls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter