Surprises/Tips from our 07-27 DCL Cruise

Zsa Zsa

Living like a queen
Had been reading the boards here for 7-8 months, but still had some surprises on my 4-nite DCL cruise last week which I thought I'd pass on so that others could benefit.

1.) Never received package beforehand with luggage tags and waivers. I was not worried about not receiving it since I thought I could use my own tags, had already printed out the documentation at the DCL site and brought it with me, but there was another form which was not on the website which had to be filled out which I did not have. Also, must use the DCL luggage tags. If you have not received your package from DCL a few weeks b4 your cruise, you should call them.

2.) For many of the excursions and some of the massages, there are waivers and paperwork that come with your tickets which must be filled out prior to going on the excursions/massage. In all of the excitement, did not notice/fill out the waiver and had to rush to get it done prior to the excursion.

3.) You can order appetizers, salads, soups, entree, and deserts and you can order as many as you want of each. However, the more courses you order, the longer the dinner will take which may slow down the entire party at your table. Many of us ordered every course possible to try everything, and noticed that we were the last table to finish dinner. Dinner lasted 2 hours in some cases. The only problem with this is that you and fellow dinner guests may miss events planned after dinner but before the show. Also, if you buy any alcoholic beverage or smoothies during dinner, you need to close out your tab prior to rushing to the next event, taking more time.

4.) The room service menu is on Page 5 of the big thick book that is in your stateroom. Couldn't find it until I called the room service# to ask where it was. Many of the items discussed on these boards that you can order from room service are not listed in the menu (Mickey Bars, Fruit Tray, etc.). There are also a lot of other things to read in the the big thick book in your room which I wish I had time to peruse in more detail. Maybe next cruise!

5.) On Pirate night, after the fireworks there will be a huge dessert spread on deck 9. If you don't get there quickly there will be a long line. Keep your eye peeled near the dance floor.

6.) At Palos, don't forget to come prepared with your envelope/tip. Had made my envelope in advance but forgot to bring it. Also, originally, had planned to give $20 to Palos server as tip for dinner, but after seeing the huge spread and impeccable service, it was evident that a $40-$50 tip was much more in line. Shelled out the extra tip on the fly with bar tab. Did same for brunch.

7.) Had booked both the brunch and dinner on the same night (at Sea). It was extremely easy to move the dinner reservation to the Nassau evening which was the repeating restaurant (had PTTA rotation). It worked out perfectly!

8.) Getting to know other Disers b-4 the cruise and getting seats together made all of the difference in the world! Hi Triptaker and Starwood! These folks made our trip immensely more enjoyable and fun! Starwood arranged for us all to be at the same table, and I am very grateful. Our kids 12 & 13 & 13 all hung out together, and did some excursions together also.

9.) Our dinner companions did not have dinner ressies at Palos, but really wanted the Chocolate Mousse. The maitre d' arranged for them to go at 9:00 p.m. and have the mousse along with several other desserts. They did slip them a nice tip up front I think, and they had a marvelous time!

10.) The bathroom plugs did not accommodate three prong electrical devices, like my hair dryer (since the one in the bathroom was pretty weak.) Did bring along an extension cord and outlet strip which was accommodated near the mirror and verandah in the cabin. Therefore, I ended up doing my makeup and hair in the sofabed portion of the cabin instead of in the bathroom. This was ok, but my daughter (12), who slept in the sofabed, wanted her privacy and this sometimes interefered.

11.) On pirate night, brought along red bandannas, but didn't realize they give out black ones at dinner.

12.) On the day we boarded, we got there a bit later than our Disboard friends. We got #5 for boarding, while they got the coveted #2 spot. They were nice enough to include us in their party so that we were able to board in the #2 spot with them, making the first day even more magical. Thanks Triptaker!

13.) We stopped to get water, beer, and champagne at the store prior to boarding (had the limo stop for us). Should have gotten everything cold because the cooler in the room took a really long time to get everything cold. Also, only used one of the two bottles of champagne with all of the food and drinks available on board. Used only 4 out of 8 bottles of water, but almost all of the beer (12 pack).

14.) Was prepared for our luggage to arrive in our stateroom by 5pm, but it was there by 12:30pm.!

15.) Spa treatments. I booked a manicure, a Hydralift facial, the CC cabana massage, and the Hot Stone Aromatherapy massage. The manicure was probably worth it. As for the facial, I asked every spa therapist what their favorite spa treatment was, and everyone said the facial. I've had facials before, and with this one, it seemed like they kept just applying gels and removing them. One I could tell had glycolic acid in it, which was tingly, but the others were just sort of cold or rough. There was some kind of machine with a rod that they stroked over my face, but I noticed nothing special (no tingling, no vibration). Made me think it was not working. The massage portion was very short. Did not feel it was worth the $105. Other facials I've had involved attention to any acne and a better massage.

The CC cabana massage was the best of the 4 treatments, but when I asked to run to the bathroom prior to the treatment, was told the time I took would come out of my treatment time. Now I know they are heavily scheduled, but this was a bit much. Would rather that they took it out of the time they talked to me afterwards about follow-up regimens (did tell her I didn't want to hear about the products.)

With the Hot Stone Aromatherapy, the "therapist" told me I was 5 minutes late (it's really easy to get lost on the ship) and that it would come out of my 75 minutes, scalded my foot with a hot stone, continued to massage an area I repeatedly asked her not to, and missed an area altogether (presumably due to the 5 minutes I was late). Finally, I did not smell anything (where was the AROMA part of the aromatherapy?) Of course, she did not receive a gratuity. For $175, I expected a great massage, controlled stone temperatures, and even a little leniency on timing. Next time, I will be limiting my spa treatments. Just seemed to take up valuable time that I could have been enjoying some free events on the ship, and the value for the dollars paid did not seem worthwhile. Also, if you do plan to go, you may want to leave your stateroom 15 minutes early in case you get lost!

Don't get me wrong--many of the treatments were extremely relaxing. But some of the relaxation was offset by the anxiety associated with having to keep a close eye on the clock for when the spa treatment was, rushing to the appointment, stress associated with not being able to find the spa on the ship, having to fill out forms about your stress levels/exercise regimen, etc. when arriving, having to tell the therapist that you don't want to hear about the products every time, and having to sign the bill at the end!

16.) Wow--can't believe I have had so much to say! Well these are things I wish I had known before I left. Hope some of these comments help others.

Zsa Zsa said:
2.) For many of the excursions and some of the massages, there are waivers that come with your tickets which must be filled out prior to going on the excursions/massage. In all of the excitement, did not notice/fill out the waiver and had to rush to get it done prior to the excursion.

3.) You can order appetizers, salads, soups, entree, and deserts and you can order as many as you want of each. However, the more courses you order, the longer the dinner will take which may slow down the entire party at your table. Many of us ordered every course possible to try everything, and noticed that we were the last table to finish dinner. Dinner lasted 2 hours in some cases. The only problem with this is that you and fellow dinner guests may miss events planned after dinner but before the show. Also, if you buy any alcoholic beverage or smoothies during dinner, you need to close out your tab prior to rushing to the next event, taking more time.

4.) The room service menu is on Page 5 of the big thick book that is in your stateroom. Couldn't find it until I called the room service# to ask where it was. Many of the items discussed on these boards that you can order from room service are not listed in the menu (Mickey Bars, Intl Cheese Tray, Fruit Tray, etc.). There are also a lot of other things to read in the the big thick book in your room which I wish I had time to peruse in more detail. Maybe next cruise!

Hope some of these comments help others.

THANK YOU!!! What a great tips/reminders for us...we sail on the 6th for the 4 day as well.

I had no idea about the waiver for the excursion. I wonder if we need one for the Dolphin Encounter in Nassau? We didn't receive anything. :confused3

I'll definitely limit my orders at dinner now that I know about the time issues. The food may be great but I want to enjoy thing other than the dining room each evening. ;)

And most important is room service. I'm like you. We sailed 2 years ago and I don't ever remember seeing the menu. Now I can't wait to get my hands on it and start ordering away! popcorn::

Thank you - glad you had a great time and you had to return to reality. :blush:

:wave2: Kelly

MB MinnieGirl said:
I had no idea about the waiver for the excursion. I wonder if we need one for the Dolphin Encounter in Nassau? We didn't receive anything. :confused3

:wave2: Kelly

The waivers will be in the same envelope as your tickets which will be in your stateroom upon your arrival. I had not heard about the waivers, and in all the excitement, did not even notice them in the envelope with the tickets. Glad you found the info useful. Have a great trip!

The Waivers are usually in the envelope along with the tickets for the excusions.

j

Scratch42 said:
The Waivers are usually in the envelope along with the tickets for the excusions.

j

:scared1:

WHAT TICKETS FOR THE EXCURSION??? We did not have any tickets for the dolphin encounter. All that was in our cruise docs were luggage tags, Bahamas form, cruise tickets, and some info on the ship. Our schedule shows the dolphin excursion but there are no tickets or even mention of our excursions????

PLEASE tell me that you are talking about something we will receive once onboard!

Zsa Zsa said:
4.) ....Many of the items discussed on these boards that you can order from room service are not listed in the menu (Mickey Bars, Intl Cheese Tray, Fruit Tray, etc.)

When did they take "All Hands on Deck" off the room service menu?? That is the cheese tray, and it was always there before. Bummer!

Float My Boat said:
When did they take "All Hands on Deck" off the room service menu?? That is the cheese tray, and it was always there before. Bummer!

The all hands on deck is still on the menu, I was on the same cruise as Zsa Zsa and it was in my book.

MB MinnieGirl said:
:scared1:

WHAT TICKETS FOR THE EXCURSION??? We did not have any tickets for the dolphin encounter. All that was in our cruise docs were luggage tags, Bahamas form, cruise tickets, and some info on the ship. Our schedule shows the dolphin excursion but there are no tickets or even mention of our excursions????

PLEASE tell me that you are talking about something we will receive once onboard!

The tickets will be waiting for you in an envelope in your stateroom when you arrive.

cjsmith said:
The tickets will be waiting for you in an envelope in your stateroom when you arrive.

:worship: :worship:

Thank you!!!
DCL thanks you too because they were just about to get a frantic call from one stressed out mommy!

Great tips. We were just on the 3 day. We ordered a few things on the menu and were sort of the last ones out, but I think it was more because there were 14 of us gabbing away. Family reunion of 14 from NY, NJ, FL and TX who never seem to be able to get away.

The room service menu is more expanded than I thought.

DS5 and I left Cozumel around 3ish while everybody else went shopping. I was pooped and wanted to crash for a bit. DS was hungry and so was I. I ordered him a hot dog and I got the meat lasagna. Both very good. I was really surprised by the lasagna's great taste. Very impressed. Of course I had to buy 2 $10,000 sodas to go with them. OUCH. I know, I know I should have went on deck 9 to get a soda, but if ds saw the MM pool I couldn't escape.

Another tip--bring small snacks. You think you're not going to need them because there's so much food. Try bring a 5 year old to a movie or a show with no snacks. Aha, you say. I'd rather bring a few bags of Twizzlers with me than pay $5 for a bag of gummy bears.

Zsa Zsa said:
15.) Spa treatments.
With the Hot Stone Aromatherapy, the "therapist" told me I was 5 minutes late (it's really easy to get lost on the ship) and that it would come out of my 75 minutes, scalded my foot with a hot stone, continued to massage an area I repeatedly asked her not to, and missed an area altogether (presumably due to the 5 minutes I was late). Finally, I did not smell anything (where was the AROMA part of the aromatherapy?) Of course, she did not receive a gratuity. For $175, I expected a great massage, controlled stone temperatures, and even a little leniency on timing. Next time, I will be limiting my spa treatments. Just seemed to take up valuable time that I could have been enjoying some free events on the ship, and the value for the dollars paid did not seem worthwhile. Also, if you do plan to go, you may want to leave your stateroom 15 minutes early in case you get lost!

Don't get me wrong--many of the treatments were extremely relaxing. But some of the relaxation was offset by the anxiety associated with having to keep a close eye on the clock for when the spa treatment was, rushing to the appointment, stress associated with not being able to find the spa on the ship, having to fill out forms about your stress levels/exercise regimen, etc. when arriving, having to tell the therapist that you don't want to hear about the products every time, and having to sign the bill at the end!

I completely, and totally ditto these comments. I make it a point to get a massage on every cruise I am on - and I splurged to get a couples massage while on DCL - a complete, total waste of a HUGE amount of money. We were so stressed out about getting there late, getting to Palo on time from it, getting my daughter into Flounders to coincide with it - it turned into a HUGE fiasco. Plus, it wasn't really all that good. It was OK, but the stress involved with it was enormous. I don't think I would completely blame the staff of the spa, but it was an ENORMOUS amount of money and I really should have skipped the whole thing.

A few more tips...

1.) To make your trip even more special, decorate your room! We decorated ours with a sparkly 10 inch hanging palm tree decoration, blue, yellow and red balloons and streamers, and white lights (even though it was not X-mas). I think you can ask DCL to supply a B-Day or Anniversary decoration package, but you can do it yourself with a little preplanning and at a fraction of the cost, with a more beautiful result! The white lights while sitting outside on our veranda at night made it even more magical. Just be sure to unplug the lights any time you are leaving your stateroom.

2.) With our door-sign, we used a blue plastic table cloth to cover the door underneath, which made it very distinctive. We brought powerful magnets, because it seemed that normal magnets just could not hold things as well, especially with the table cloth underneath.

3.) Guest services provides you with a form to use for tipping to make everything very simple for you. They tell you the recommended $ amount for each server, host, etc. on the form. We didn't use the form, but had already prepared specially made cards with cash tips. During our last night of the cruise, someone told me that we should not have provided cash in envelopes for our tips because the servers/stateroom hosts cannot always use U.S. dollars. However, no one complained to us about our tip.

4.) The last night of the cruise, they had the "Til We Meet Again" party. It includes all of the characters that were in all of the shows on the trip, plus they throw pixie dust at the end. It was a beautiful show, and a great photo op. Just beware that there were many long lines to get photos with all of the characters, and people were getting very testy and upset about the long waits. We were content just to take photos of the characters from the side without waiting in the lines, so we avoided the frustration. But if you must get in the photos with the characters or want an autograph, they do have opportunities earlier in the cruise as shown on the Navigator. Otherwise, get there early and be ready as soon as you see a character. They spread the characters out between two or three decks, but there is still a lot of chaos during this period. Some people were turned away because they photo op period had ended, yet there were still lots of people waiting in the line.

5.) They try to rush you off the boat on your last day. We went to Topsiders buffet and brought food back to our stateroom so my DD could sleep in and we could relax a bit before having to leave. Shutters and some stores were still open, but we didn't visit them. We just wanted to soak in the last bit of ambience we could get. When we left, we stopped on several floors to see what other cabins looked like, since they were all open and evacuated. That is fun and helps you decide what you want to book for the next cruise!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips! I've cruised before and had a spa treatment which I enjoyed but hated the sales pitch (not realizing I could just tell them to forget it since I don't have a budget for it)! Not planning on it this time. Possibly the rainforest (based on comments from this board) but we'll see. Love the tip about checking out the other decks before leaving! That's a perfect time to check out other accommodations!! :thumbsup2

My coolest recollections of the spa were the heated chairs, the aromatherapy sessions in the steam room, and the relaxing massages.
By the end of the treatment, we sure weren’t stressed!

For any of you with a DD or DS in the 12 year old range, what will they do on board? With one 12 year old DD who was 2 months away from being 13, we did not know if she would be happier with the 10-12 year old set or the 13-17 year old set or ?

We had previously arranged for her to meet a couple of 13 year olds on line before the cruise by asking around in the cruise meets section of the Disboards for someone with a DD her age. She seemed to hit it off really well with one teen (13) girl really well. Therefore, we hoped she could hang out in the Wonder's teen club, "Aloft" with her, but had read that you could only go to the teen club if you were within one month of turning 13.

The first day we got on board, we went to Aloft and talked to the counselor. We told him about our situation, and without any qualms, he signed her up immediately and gave her an invitation to come to the "411" (teen meeting to meet other teens and find out about teen events) that evening. We were quite relieved.

As it turned out, none of the 13 year olds or my DD went to the 411 that evening because it was so late (I think 11 p.m.) and the kids were all exhausted. Furthermore, my DD spent almost no time in Aloft during the entire cruise, and I believe the same was true for the other 13 year olds we had met online and had dinner with. Between the excursions and other onboard activities that we did as a family, there was very little time for anything else. A couple of the kids played video games (extra charge), but my DD didn't really want to do that.

She seemed to run out of energy quickly on the ship (couldn't get her to stay up past 9:30 or 10:00 p.m.). I wonder if it was because we were both taking Bonine for seasickness. Bonine worked great by the way. I noticed no drowsiness, but for a 12 year old, it's possible it had a bit of an impact. On the other hand, we had spent a week prior to the cruise at Universal Studios, Seaworld and Discovery Cove, and that could have contributed to her lethargic state.

The kids did some of the events together (dinner together while my DH and I went to Palo, ventriloquism workshop, mickey mania, snorkeling at Castaway Cay, touring the ship, etc.), but didn't spend as much time with her peers as I thought she would. I was secretly grateful, since I like to have my DD with me as much as possible during these last few years that we will have her before she goes off to college (the time goes by way to fast!!).

Just to ensure that we weren't depriving her out of some great activities on board (and because I was curious to see the area), I tried to get her to go with me to the Oceaneer's club. However, she wouldn't even go near the place! She told me to go by myself (which I did not.) She felt much too sophisticated to even be seen in the vicinity of the area where the "young children" played.

So there you have it! For us at least, our DD really preferred spending most of her time with us on the cruise. Perhaps if it had been a 7 day cruise, she would have ventured more into the teen activities, but at least on the Wonder, there seemed to be very little extra time to do so. Hope that helps folks in a similar quandry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter