Surprise trip for Dad... where to stay?

thebookworm218

Earning My Ears
My mother, sister and I have decided to surprise our dad with a trip to WDW (that way he can't say no :P) We are going late September. We have heard it was going to be warmer, so we decided to stay somewhere near water. We are stuck between BWV and VWL.

We have previously stayed at BWV and loved it. Me? Not so much. I actually ended up getting very sick and going to the hospital in Celebration. So, my memories not so great.

We have never been to VWL and so far its not looking great. It seems as though it is slightly dated and smaller than other rooms.

Is that just a misconception or true? Any pics and thoughts would be extremely appreciated :goodvibes

VWL is the smallest of the DVC resorts. And although there are always rooms that show the wear and tear of multiple stays by those that love VWL, some think that the rooms are "dated".

Please remember that The Lodge motif is just that, of a National Park Lodge, intended to give you the full Lodge experience. The furniture and trappings from BLT just wouldn't do. Try blending that woodsy feel with the flat screen TV and iPod Home sitting by the bed.

I think it is a wonderful example of Disney's success in making you feel the intent of the scene, yet offering what you would want in deluxe accommodations.

I feel the beach when at BCV; the coast when at BWV; and just love the feel of the woods and water when enjoying my VWL stay!

Have a great time in The World! Hope Dad enjoys the time with you!

Don't confuse decor with "dated." Some resorts are supposed to just LOOK like they're from an era gone by.

And with regard to room size, I think the 1 BR's at VWL, BWV, BCV, and SSR are all about the same size, if you go by the numbers. Visually, if the decor is darker, it will LOOK smaller.

The other thing to consider is how far it is to transportation, if there is any kind of mobility issue.

Have fun deciding!

I agree with others. I don't think it's dated. It's more old rustic than modern and contemporary. We love VWL and are staying there in June when we go. It's a very laid back atmosphere and we enjoy it. I love the boat ride to MK. You can also grab a boat to FW or Cont. We've caught ourselves doing that for meals plus riding boat to Cont to catch monorail and then switch to EPCOT monorail at TT.

if you dad likes sports BWV is the place to be, in fact, for adults I would think this or any of the Epcot resorts would be better... this is a trip for him, right? the animal Kingdom, Kindani is cool, get a lower floor room. esp in Sept, you run the risk of hurricane, which at Disney is really no big deal, and lower volume of peeps. its a good time to go, but if it's about you dad, then pick the hotel based on what he likes and you'll be fine.

Are you staying in a 1 bedroom? My dad's favourite place in the world is OKW - the decks are huge, and he loves to sit out there and watch his water view - we make sure we have second floor or higher and a pond/golf view. Then we can watch all the wildlife and/or golfers. There is more square footage too in the main living area, which is nice, and full separate laundry room instead of a closet with a washer/dryer. He loves to take the DVC ferry to DTD, and just the relaxed and tropical atmosphere is wonderful.

My mother is absolutely petrified of alligators... does she have any reason to worry when boating to MK? :confused3

As many times as we've stayed around Bay Lake and used the boat transportation, we have never yet seen an alligator!
My vote would be BWV. The location is great and you can walk to Epcot. I know exactly how you feel tho - last time we stayed at BCV, we both got food poisoning (F&W Festival) and now neither of us wants to stay there again :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter