• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surprise ruined, now what?

jenjen212

Just keep Swimming, Just keep Swimming...
:guilty:Hello everyone,

I was on here a month ago or so when I was trying to make a decision on which resort to choose. I have two younger cousins that just graduated college. These girls are HUGE Disney fans, and have never been to Disney World, as they're parents were never able to afford it. As a graduation gift, I planned on taking them for a week to WDW, not telling them where they were going.

They live in NYC. I plan on spending a couple of weeks up there with them, and I told them that I was going to bring them back down with me when I flew home to Miami, FL. When hand them their tickets at JFK, and they see that we are destined for Orlando instead of Miami, is when they would see that something is up. :wizard: But, one of their parents let the cat out the bag by accident, and so one cousin told the other. I was so looking forward to seeing the looks on their faces when they found out too. :(

Nevertheless, they are SUPER excited, and are dying to know the details. Everything is booked... ADRs w/DDP, and the Contemporary, Tower Room with MK view. I just think that this resort has such a "WOW" factor that will leave them with such a lasting impression for their very first visit.

So, now I feel like I want to show them or tell them something. Not sure what? A friend suggested that I show them the new Planning DVD that I recieved from Disney, but just not tell them where. But, then someone else suggested that I just let them know, since seeing the pictures and video clips still won't give that same 'awestruck' feeling as seeing it in person and actually stepping foot in the parks.

Help?!?! :confused:

I know that either way this will still be a special trip for them, but... Ideas???

Maybe create some sort of 'goodie' bag for them. For my brother and sister (18 and 15), I'm doing that... it'll be things like a new book, a Disney DVD, some Disney underwear, poncho, disposable camera, a pen and autograph book, Mickey ears, a pin for trading...
Because we're going at Christmas, it'll be wrapped up for them and given to them pre-flight.
Even though it's not a surprise, they'll be excited to recieve lots of little goodies they can use on their trip.

Gutted that it won't be a surprise for your cousins, but you can still make it magical. Maybe showing them the planning DVD, or even making your own, could still make it special?

Hope this helps! xxx

I think I'd put together some kind of a "This is your trip!" package for them. Tell them about the resort and a few of the ADRs. The only reason I suggest this is because I wouldn't want them to start "wishing" for a particular resort. If they know where they are going to stay, they can get excited and focus on that rather getting hung up on another. I can't imagine any deluxe resort not being wonderful but I think I'd tell them.

It's going to be a wonderful trip!

This may be a blessing in disguise.

For a lot of people (myself included) the anticipation is the best part of the trip. If someone surprised me with a trip, of course I'd be thrilled, but I would still feel like I missed out on the best part.

So, yes, I definitely think you should give them the planning DVD, let them know where they're staying, let them be part of the planning process - give them the chance to get excited!

:guilty:Hello everyone,

I was on here a month ago or so when I was trying to make a decision on which resort to choose. I have two younger cousins that just graduated college. These girls are HUGE Disney fans, and have never been to Disney World, as they're parents were never able to afford it. As a graduation gift, I planned on taking them for a week to WDW, not telling them where they were going.

They live in NYC. I plan on spending a couple of weeks up there with them, and I told them that I was going to bring them back down with me when I flew home to Miami, FL. When hand them their tickets at JFK, and they see that we are destined for Orlando instead of Miami, is when they would see that something is up. :wizard: But, one of their parents let the cat out the bag by accident, and so one cousin told the other. I was so looking forward to seeing the looks on their faces when they found out too. :(

Nevertheless, they are SUPER excited, and are dying to know the details. Everything is booked... ADRs w/DDP, and the Contemporary, Tower Room with MK view. I just think that this resort has such a "WOW" factor that will leave them with such a lasting impression for their very first visit.

So, now I feel like I want to show them or tell them something. Not sure what? A friend suggested that I show them the new Planning DVD that I recieved from Disney, but just not tell them where. But, then someone else suggested that I just let them know, since seeing the pictures and video clips still won't give that same 'awestruck' feeling as seeing it in person and actually stepping foot in the parks.

Help?!?! :confused:

I know that either way this will still be a special trip for them, but... Ideas???

I would just give them little clues here and there; and let them see if they can figure out the locations on their own. I also agree with you that no matter what details you share, nothing will compare to that awestruck feeling when they actually get there.

I think that is a great gift you are giving them.
This trip, with my 12 yr old DD & 14 yr old DS, I have them the Disney Secrets document I got off of one of these boards. Not sure which one. They will have these 14 pages to read on the plane down. They have been before, but maybe this will tweak their excitement a bit more. Maybe this will work for your trip.

Have fun,

aahh it stinks your surprise was sprung( and i come from a family that likes to plan surprises) but i agree that the anticipation is part of the fun. DH and I are taken our DD and her friend to WDW in Oct for their highschool graduation. Not DD's first trip but we do have afternoon tea planned and the luau as a surprise. She knows she is getting two surprise meals but not what or where.
With your cousins, I think it would be fun to play into the anticipation. You can get a post card sent from WDW on the family thread ( look for fairy godmailers) and maybe ask them to write down a certain clue to one of the surprises you have in store.
You can also get a free signed character photo from here .
Free autographed picture from disney!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FREE autographed picture of your favorite Disney Character from Walt Disney Co. (mail in request)

You can get a free autographed glossy photo of your child's favorite Disney character (person, animal, fish, bug, car or whatever) by writing to:
Walt Disney Company
Attn: Fan Mail Department
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

Personalization (your child's name) is not available.
No SASE required (just the postage on your request).
Make sure to include the name of the Disney character in your request

If you are going to any character dinners... that would be another clue. Pretty sure i got that off the the freebie thread from the budget board. A few months back.

So again, sorry your surprise was busted, but now that the " damage" is done, i'd say play with it!

I do a couple of things with our family (young adults). I have done a hidden Mickeys's. Super small Mickey Mouse head images hidden around the house. You could do that when you go up to visit them. They all had fun with it and we kept track of who found the most. I used a scrap booking punch to cut them out. The other thing I'm doing with them this time, is emailing a Disney picture of the week. They all look forward to the pictures and wonder what I'm going to send next. I get the pictures of the boards here on the Theme Park Community forum. Tons of great pictures.!

I truly am sorry your surprise is ruined; however, there is an upside now. The anticipation and planning of fun can be done every single day now, not sprung all at once.

We have done it both ways. Surprise the night before and a 6 months of preparation. I have to say we as a family honestly preferred the 6 month buildup. Every day we all conspired about what rides to do first at what park, where to eat -- you know, all of it!

Our family plays the games ... "Okay, you have 6 hours in Magic Kingdom, what is first on your list. Second, third." It just adds to the fun, I think. What would you do if you just ran smack into Mickey? Would you ride the tea cups with your eyes open and your head up after six Dole Whips?

Look for the excitement in it now. That's what we do anyway. It actually brings us closer. I hope you realize this can just be fun in a different way now.

Good luck!:thumbsup2

I belive that the surprise is not ruined, on the contrarie, like in the "small Pince story, when he is talking to the Fox " the anticipation is going to be a good thing:

"It would have been better to come back at the same hour," said the fox.
"If for example, you came at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock
I shall begin to be happy. I shall feel happier and happier as the hour advances.
At four o'clock, I shall be worrying and jumping about. I shall show you how happy I am!
But if you come at just any time, I shall never know at what hour
my heart is ready to greet you… One must observe the proper rites…"
:)

Thank you everyone!!! :goodvibes This is why I LOOOVE these boards.

These really are some great ideas that I can try with them.

I know that we are still going to have a BLAST, I was trying to think of ways that I could still incorporate elements of surprise without telling them everything that I had planned. You all have definitely given me some ideas.

Our trip is August 1 -6, so I still have some time to share lil tidbits here and there. Giving them a little bit more information here and there.

Thinking about having a basket of disney goodies delivered to the room too.

Thanks for everyone's input!! :flower3:

Let them see the planning DVD, but, nothing else..that way you will be able to see their reaction and it will be definitely over the top:)

Oh bummer.... I am like you a love a great surprise. Well let's turn that :sad2: frown upsidedown :)

How about sending them a "countdown chain". http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1606287 hopefully th link works. Someone here on the boards has made them. If the link doesn't work try doing a search and you should find it. (If you email/pm the poster they will send it to you). The chain counts down from 100 days. Have your cousins take pictures of themselves as the chain goes down... I made them for my kids and they love it.. . I also made one for my MIL and her friends at work had a ball counting down the days with her. (The countdown chain is in pdf form and it only 5 sheets of paper).

Also, take a look at the "creative designs" on the boards. There are some invitations that you could also make. Some of the designers will personalize or they have some that are predesigned without personalization. If you know photoshop it is easy to edit. You could give it to them when you visit them -- This way you get to see their reaction (and take a photo).

Here are the invites I used from Natalie. They are really cute. If you look in the first post there is a link to her 4shared account. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2421068 She does have one for the Contemporary. (The invites can be printed on 4x6 photopaper).

I will miss you by just a few days. You are going to love the CR. Take a look at the CR threads under "Disney Resorts". You can have a chocolate monorail sent to the room or ADR (dependin upon where your reservations are).

I'd send them the DVD it's really just a taste of everything WDW offers.

Then each week a link to a super disney page like wdwinfo.com or allears.net. Then maybe right before going the hidden mickey book.

I know you said you got your ADR's set. But you should try for the Fantasmic dinner package. If they are disney fans they will like the show with all it's characters and you won't have to wait forever and a day to watch.

Just wanted to say that I think it is super nice of you taking your cousins on a trip of a lifetime. They will remember it forever.

I am thinking pins..... get a few on ebay or something and start them on a hunt in the parks for their favorite character or rides. my dh won't admit it but he loves the thrill of the hunt for specific pins my ds needs but he will find an odd pin now and again and keep for himself. He is still bummed that his tiny round tinkerbell (size of cd hole) got lost going thru scanner at airport.. he is now always looking for that little pin.

anyway....what a great cousin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter