• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surprise gifts for kids each night?

satnin

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

I don't think I've actually ever posted here before!! I've been a lurker for a few years now, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this board! My family will be going on our 3rd WDW vacation in September. We haven't gone in three years. The kids will be 10 (ds) and 7 (dd). We're so excited that we will be stroller-free, diaper bag-free, and nap-free for this trip! The kids will also be a lot of fun at Disney this time because they can do so much more now. Anyway, I'm trying to plan some fun "surprises" for them, like sneaking into the room first to put some "welcome to Disney" surprises out. I also want to do suprises in the room to be there when we get back each night. (I hope to accomplish this by being the last one out of the room each morning, or "forgetting" something in the room each morning and putting the surprises out then)

ANYWAY... I was hoping for some ideas/pictures, places where I can buy gifts cheaply. I know from time to time I've seen things like this on the DisBoards before, but for the life of me I can't find any of them now! :) Any tips, ideas for gifts, etc would be SOOOOO appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Satnin :cheer2:

I do this each trip. A gift is left for each of them during the night. They are always excited to wake up and see what they received. I find it easier that way since they go to sleep before we do. They used to ask how the things got there....and I'd respond "Disney Magic of course"!

Last year, one day I had Lego GC for each. Our youngest son turned 4 during our last trip - so on his birthday they woke up to an invitation from Jack Sparrow to come to the Pirate's League. I'll usually get a few small things in the park that they've seen and wanted & put that out. I've done pajamas, bubbles, small Lego sets/mystery people, autograph books, lanyards/pins, vinylmation, t-shirts, glow sticks/necklaces & snacks.

I've found cute Disney items at our Dollar Tree. I pack them and give them out there. (Glow sticks, magic towels, balls, bubbles)

Hope that helps. Have a magical trip!

My girls wake up to a gift each morning from *tink*. Last time they each got a pin in the morning and another little treat - new water bottles, stickers, tattoos, light-up/glow stuff for night-time, magic towels, etc.... all Disney themed, of course. I just buy stuff and sock it away the few months before our trip. They pay way too close of attention for me to shop while we're in the parks ;) The princesses invited them to breakfast at CRT last time, too. i loved doing this and it motivated them to get up and moving in the mornings :thumbsup2 Have a great trip!! (Looking forward to when we are stroller-free!)

Thank you thank you thank you weheartdisney and patchpixie!!!! Love the ideas. Especially love the lego idea... my 10 yo is going to be much harder to surprise than his little sister!

I really appreciate the replies. Have any of you left notes each night or just gifts? I'm thinking of doing each night with a "theme" that fits the next day's activities. Thoughts??

:jumping1:

We are going in November, but I am already starting "gathering" lol. I picked up some single use cameras on clearance at our grocery store. I got on the Disigns board and found some cute treat boxes that you print out and fold into a box!!
I have not tried that yet, but they look super cute.

I will get stickers and cheap jewelry for DD, DS is harder to buy for, but maybe some Disney themed playing cards or card games.

I have to admit - I get kind of crazy with this! I have 2 blonde Cinderella's that go crazy for all that's left for them. (8 & 3) We also call it Disney Magicpixiedust:. Depending on how you do it, it can be a lot of work - but completely worth the effort. Here's how I do it - *DISCLAIMER* this is an extreme case because I'm kind of crazy.

After we check in to the hotel, I give the excuse that I need to 'freshen up'. My DH takes the 'long' way to the room while I sprint up and set up the little table in the room with a welcome package! It has a welcome letter to each child from Mickey, things they would need on the trip (mini spray bottles, spf 'lipstick', hats, autograph books, etc). I then text DH to let him know he can come in and sneak out and meet them on the sidewalk outside the building. It seems like a lot, but if you pack wisely, it only takes about 3 minutes to set up.

I also put things out daily - very little, just things from the Dollar store or the Target Dollar Spot. Those include invitations to the table service meal we are having that day and little doo-dads to complement the park we're going to. Now, my kids are light sleepers and setting it up after they go to sleep didn't work. (I tried) When we leave to go to breakfast one of us "forget's something" and runs back to the room to set the Disney Magic up. When they head back to the room to get ready for the parks, they find their magic!

If we have a breakfast meal at a park scheduled, I'll set up the magic before we leave for the park the day before. Ex: Tues is the character breakfast. So on Monday as we leave for the park, we pull the 'forgot something' act and set it up. Then when we get back to the room on Monday night, everything is ready.

I will pack each day's goodies in separate ziplock bags so it only takes minutes to set each day up. I even put a little iridescent glitter in there for 'pixie dust' and sprinkle it over the gifts:rolleyes1. Like I said I'm kind of crazy with this.

The DISigner link here on Dis Boards is a fantastic place to find pre-made invites, letters to kids and LOTS of other things to make your trip full of magic! The designers are helpful and will custom make something for you if you can't find what you're looking for in their galleries.

I do have to say that all the hard work is COMPLETELY worth all the excitement and happiness it brings the kids. We brought my 8 yr old niece with us on a trip 3 yrs ago (my DD's were 5 & 6 mo.), and she is very logical and not at all into fantasy or make believe. When she saw the arrival package, she said "You put that out there didn't you?". I replied, "Nope. It was put there by Tink with Disney Magicpixiedust:.".

The kid was on to me.

"There's no such thing as Disney Magic." she said. I then thoughtfully replied, "Of course there is, but you have to believe in it. When you believe in Disney Magicpixiedust: wonderful things will happen to you here. That's why they called it the Magic Kingdom, because of all the magic!". I didn't think I had her convinced. Each morning she would check out all that was brought, and look at me thoughtfully. On the last day she was there, she misplaced her autograph book. We couldn't find it anywhere and she was devastated. After she left, we replaced the book and spent a day getting new autographs in it for her. We mailed it off that night from Guest Services. I got her mom in on the act and she set it up on her bed with a little note from Tink. Her mom said she had tears in her eyes as she awed over the book. She said "Aunt Kristin said if I believed in Disney Magicpixiedust: wonderful things would happen and she was right! It IS real!" COMPLETELY worth the effort!

Kristin~ Now THAT Is what I'm talking about! Oh, we could be such good friends!!!! I go over-the-top on everything, but IMO kids are only little once and it is going by soooooooo fast. Thank you for all of the great info!!! I'll check out the DISign board, I haven't been there yet so thanks for the info.

(and I love the story about your niece! Luckily, neither of my kids are overly "logical", and they want to believe the magic, so that makes it even more fun for me!)

:cool1:

I'm looking to do the same thing for my best friend (we're traveling together in December). Any suggestions for a 24 year old female?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter