Surprise additional guest

pooch

Still feeling special!!
DH and I are taking my DS, DDIL and 3 DGS (9, 8 & 6) to WDW next year. Last weekend they told us there will be another DG(S or D) joining us. Baby will be 3-5 months old depending on the actual trip dates some time between Sept & Nov.

I need all the tips I can get about traveling with a baby. The boys have been waiting semi-patiently for this trip so I don't want to postpone it. How do I plan for this???

Congratulations!!! I don't have any advice except 3 month old months usually sleep a lot.

Although our DSs are teenagers now, we took the, when they were infants. To be honest, it is kind of easier with a small infant than with a toddler. We used the baby care centers to rest with the baby while others did their thing. But mostly, we just did what we normally do at home when we are out. We have always, and continue to, go early and return for midday breaks.

And in all my 15 trips to the Mouse, I have never seen a rope drop or taken a back to the resort break. I guess this will be a trip of firsts for everyone!

We took DD at 4 months old, it was a breeze. She just slept and went around with what we wanted to do- much harder once she got mobile and started to have opinions! I recommend having a good carrier. Also you can check to see what restaurants allow strollers inside, or one of you will have to hold the baby while you eat. You can also use the rider swap to your advantage, so the older kids can ride twice.

Do you have a carrier recommendation? DDIL thinks that would be the best option although DS says no way are we gonna strap one on him!

That's so exciting! Congratulations!
The best part about traveling with an infant is how easy going they are....they will sleep anywhere, they tend not to mind noise unless it is obnoxiously loud and close, they don't care what restaurant you choose and they will pose for all the pictures you want without complaint
Both of my kids have been to WDW as babies, and also my niece. I don't know current brands, but I used a Snugli front carrier for my boys, it held them to my chest, facing me, kind of how I would hold them naturally, but hands free.
My sister wasn't into carriers, so my niece spent the trip in her stroller, happy as a bug. She slept a lot, but when she was awake she stared around in wide eyed wonder and giggled and coo'd a lot.

I borrowed a carrier from a friend for the trip, I think it was infantino brand, which they sell at target.

Just thought, what the heck do we do about a rental car now? We will be going to Universal and Sea World.

Do you have a carrier recommendation? DDIL thinks that would be the best option although DS says no way are we gonna strap one on him!

Once DS spends his share (and I would hope it's half) of the time carrying the baby WITHOUT a carrier, he'll change his tune. This is one of those nonsensical things said (usually by fathers) who either don't pull their share of baby duty or just haven't really grasped the scope of the issue.

Babies are pretty easy to manage. The bigger challenge is taking care of Mom and making sure she gets to be more than just the baby hauler. Mom and Dad can take turns sitting things out or use rider swap. Make sure mom gets her turn at the fun and if she's nursing, make sure she stays hydrated and nurses in a way that makes *her* comfortable, whether that's covered in a corner or uncovered in the middle of Main Street. Disney is good about diaper stations in all bathrooms, so dad can change diapers too.

For meals, we tended to time TS for when the baby would be asleep. For CS, parent 1 would wrangle the baby while parent 2 ate. Parent 2 would then go back to the counter and get food for parent 1 and then take over the baby. It's a little thing, but it meant everyone got a meal that was still warm.

Thank you, Dad is actually very helpful/involved. He just thinks the carriers look silly! I agree that after carrying the baby for a while, he will want the support of a carrier. There will be 5 adults on the trip so plenty of help to go around. As for timing TS meals, will be difficult at 180+10 since he/she wont be born yet. We will just have to deal/adjust as necessary. Really, I am just trying to wrap my head around this wrinkle in my planning.

DH and I are taking my DS, DDIL and 3 DGS (9, 8 & 6) to WDW next year. Last weekend they told us there will be another DG(S or D) joining us. Baby will be 3-5 months old depending on the actual trip dates some time between Sept & Nov.

I need all the tips I can get about traveling with a baby. The boys have been waiting semi-patiently for this trip so I don't want to postpone it. How do I plan for this???

Hi. Your story is our story. We planned a trip 11 months out with our daughter, her husband, and their 3 children, (6,9,11), and were surprised 2 months later with news of new one on the way. The baby was just born 2 weeks ago, and trip is in 6 weeks, (gasp!). The ages are so spread apart, we do have some concerns about how it will all work. We are staying on site on the monorail, so trips back to resort will be easy. We have checked out all the baby stations in each park, and any other relaxing spots that may come in handy. They are bringing a baby travel bed instead of those low to the ground play pens the resorts provide. A baby carrier is a must! There are several types out there. They will be sending a box of other baby supplies straight to the resort, so it is easier on the plane. Since the baby is so new, they are still finding their way, and trying to catch their bearings. How will they bathe the baby? They haven's sat down for a family meal in 2 weeks. He nurses constantly, and mommy never seems to get a break. Our biggest concerns are the early December weather (cold?), and making sure new mommy is taken care of properly. The fortunate thing is that there will be plenty of helpers. We are still on track to go, excited and what ever happens will be fine. It is going to be a different kind of trip, and that is OK. If we find anything report worthy, I will get back to you. Congratulations on the surprise news.

I highly recommend a baby Bjorne carrier. Yes they're expensive but 100% worth it especially if your going to Disney provides awesome support on the back.

I'm going to disagree with the Bjorne carrier unless you buy the most expensive one. They don't work as well after a certain weight, nor are they comfortable for the wearer after about 20lbs or so. I have a lillebaby and an ergo. I would suggest either of those before a regular Bjorne. Any baby sized lillebaby or the ergo adapt would work great because you can use them from 7lbs up without the additional infant inserts that are needed (regular ergo, Tula, lennylamb, kinderpak would all need an infant insert.)

I'm not a baby wearing expert by any means. I just have a big baby (at 4 months she was close to 18lbs, now at almost a year she's 26.6lbs). I plan on wearing her at Disney. Especially for leaving the parks at night. We did it with a stroller for my son last time, but the mass chaos of post fireworks leaving was not something I want to do with a stroller again.

I'm going to disagree with the Bjorne carrier unless you buy the most expensive one. They don't work as well after a certain weight, nor are they comfortable for the wearer after about 20lbs or so. I have a lillebaby and an ergo. I would suggest either of those before a regular Bjorne. Any baby sized lillebaby or the ergo adapt would work great because you can use them from 7lbs up without the additional infant inserts that are needed (regular ergo, Tula, lennylamb, kinderpak would all need an infant insert.)

I'm not a baby wearing expert by any means. I just have a big baby (at 4 months she was close to 18lbs, now at almost a year she's 26.6lbs). I plan on wearing her at Disney. Especially for leaving the parks at night. We did it with a stroller for my son last time, but the mass chaos of post fireworks leaving was not something I want to do with a stroller again.
My son was only 5 pounds when he was born and has stayed on the smaller side since. So I guess it would depend more on the weight.

Hi. Your story is our story. We planned a trip 11 months out with our daughter, her husband, and their 3 children, (6,9,11), and were surprised 2 months later with news of new one on the way. The baby was just born 2 weeks ago, and trip is in 6 weeks, (gasp!). The ages are so spread apart, we do have some concerns about how it will all work. We are staying on site on the monorail, so trips back to resort will be easy. We have checked out all the baby stations in each park, and any other relaxing spots that may come in handy. They are bringing a baby travel bed instead of those low to the ground play pens the resorts provide. A baby carrier is a must! There are several types out there. They will be sending a box of other baby supplies straight to the resort, so it is easier on the plane. Since the baby is so new, they are still finding their way, and trying to catch their bearings. How will they bathe the baby? They haven's sat down for a family meal in 2 weeks. He nurses constantly, and mommy never seems to get a break. Our biggest concerns are the early December weather (cold?), and making sure new mommy is taken care of properly. The fortunate thing is that there will be plenty of helpers. We are still on track to go, excited and what ever happens will be fine. It is going to be a different kind of trip, and that is OK. If we find anything report worthy, I will get back to you. Congratulations on the surprise news.

Thank you, I'm afraid I, privately, have reservations about the news. But it is what it is. Wish we could afford 2 rooms at a monorail resort but we are footing the bill for everything & that's more than we can do.
Please let me know how it goes! I will appreciate any insights you can provide! Have a wonderful trip.

Carriers depend on the kid. I had some who wouldn't tolerate them, and also consider what time of year you are going it could get very hot. They are good for waiting in lines, especially if, like my kids, they are on the larger side.

Make sure that they bring their full sized stroller from home that reclines so the baby can nap. If they are bottle feeding, powdered formula and bottled water. We just pre-loaded the bottle with correct amount of powder, and when they baby was hungry added water and shook. Also bring a bottle brush and a $1 bottle of dish soap to wash bottles in the room.

Infants were actually easier than toddlers. As a PP said, try to schedule TS meals for times when the baby will be sleeping. No restaurant ever refused to let us bring the stroller in if there was a sleeping baby in it.

I am the queen of light packing! Another plan down the tubes!!! At least DD lives down there so she can pick up the baby supplies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter