• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surgery and Free Dining

My husband had gastric sleeve done just before new years and we are going to WDW in September. I elected to only book us with one buffet because of the surgery and all of our TS meals we will be sharing and ordering an appetizer. We have free dining so I'm not worrying about the value of 1 meal. If you had weightloss surgery did the dr give you the "kids meal" card to show to restaurants so you can order off the kids meal? Perhaps you can use this to get a cheaper buffet if you're concerned. We haven't tried it at buffets yet but it might be worth a shot.

DIsney CM's are not allowed to read and then evaluate a DR note. f someone is not going to get a "value" from an AYCTE meal or a buffet, and is not comfortable paying the price to nibble, it is best to skip those dining experiences. As to kids meals, as mentioned upthread, many Disney restaurants allow adults to order a childen's meal of the kids menu, but that should not be taken for granted. It is best to plan for the worst to be sure that you are not disappointed. My DDIL has had GBP yeas ago and her appetite mirrors a birds, so when we go to buffets she just enjoys tht potion of food she can, and when we dine in a TS restaurant that is off the menu, we tend to split meals. If we could nto do this, she would just order an appetizer and maybe some soup.

I know that we all believe that a Dr note allows for restaurants to have some latitude in regards to how they charge for menu items, but it is not true in regards to Disney. A few people have been granted Pixie DUst, but that is what it is. A bonus, and no note got them the gift.

I have never understood the concept of the "kids meal" card. I haven't had the weight loss surgery but am perpetually on a diet and for the most part even though the portion sizes are smaller, I generally don't want to eat the junk that is on the typical kids meal. When I am watching my portion sizes, I eat the proper portion and bring the rest home. It is not easy to bring home at disney but I'm not sure i'd want to go around eating kids meals all the time even if it saved money. blech. if you're not embarrassed to show this card, are you embarrassed to ask them to pack up half or even 3/4 of your meal in the kitchen to go before it is even brought to the table? This is one of the all time best weight watchers tips about eating out and not going overboard - have them pack up half your meal before it is even brought to the table so there is no temptation. I'm not sure why a doctor would be encouraging a diet of hot dogs and mac and cheese and pizza.

That said, at buffets you are not paying by quantity of food. I have never been one of those overflowing multiple plates people at buffets and I'm sure on pure food costs they make money on me every time. I feel like I am paying for the experience (especially at disney) and the variety. I know i can eat more than a gastric bypass patient but it is pretty much impossible for most people to eat $40 or whatever it is worth of food at any of the disney buffets. fixed price means fixed price, not "fixed price for people who feel the value is there for them, and pay as you wish for everyone else."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter