• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surf lessons

Just had a surf lesson today with my two daughters (17 and 14) and it was fantastic! 2 hour group lesson with @SurfHNL and they were just incredible. My daughters were standing up riding waves within a few tries. Me? Not so much! But, I was able to get up a few times so was more than pleased with the outing! We also purchased a picture package and that was worth every penny. A great time, friendly instructors, and we happened to have the whole ocean to ourselves! It was a short drive from Aulani.

T
Just had a surf lesson today with my two daughters (17 and 14) and it was fantastic! 2 hour group lesson with @SurfHNL and they were just incredible. My daughters were standing up riding waves within a few tries. Me? Not so much! But, I was able to get up a few times so was more than pleased with the outing! We also purchased a picture package and that was worth every penny. A great time, friendly instructors, and we happened to have the whole ocean to ourselves! It was a short drive from Aulani.

Thank you for the post, love the sound of that :) - did you book the lesson ahead of time or just showed up?

I booked my group surf lesson the day of and had no issues, probably because hurricane Ana had just cleared out! I booked it at the tour desk in the lobby and chose to be picked up at the resort. I believe it was girls who surf. The young man who was my instructor was awesome. I turned out to be the only person in the group. I only stood up once for a couple seconds and landed in the water butt first, so most of my surfing was on my knees (due to my own fear of falling and being pulled under by the tide again) but that was great fun. Got lots of photos too! Hurt a bit the next day though because of the muscles I used paddling!

I actually work with Surf HNL and a CM at Aulani. Let me know I can give you a discount :)

How much are surf lessons for kids (5yo). My son wants to do it when we go in October. We've taken him surfing before and he's stood up but I'd like for him to get professional instructions.

Are there places where you can just rent the boards without paying for a lesson?

Aloha,

If you have alot of experience surfing then I would recommend renting a board. You can rent boards off of waikiki. However, if you absolutely have no experience you will have a miserable time. Theirs so much skills needed for surfing for example, reading the wave, current, selecting the right board, when to stand how to paddle (most difficult board sport, far more difficult than snowboarding). Think of it like learning to ride a tricycle for the first time but instead you go straight to the unicycle. Probably more of an affordable option, but not recommended. Although i'm biased at SurfHNL, theirs other companies that have great service too. Check Yelp and Tripadvisor.

hi igomezhnl, how can i contact u so i can book surf lessons for my girls (7 yr old and 11 yrs old) will be in hawaii august

Waikiki Beach is the best place in the world to learn to surf. The waves are long and slow, the instructors can stand in the water and assist you.

The North Shore in August will be flatter than a pancake.

I'd go into Waikiki and engage Aloha Beach Services. They are the oldest on the beach, are owned by members of the Kahanamoku family and after the lessons you can do a family ride in an outrigger canoe with them.

My husband and I did a lesson on waikiki just a few weeks ago. We're both late 40s early 50s. We had a blast. My husband has surfed before with people he works with but wanted some pointers. I've never surfed but have spent my life at the beach - body surfing, boogie boarding, so I'm comfortable in the water. We had a blast and I wasn't at all afraid at any point. I will warn you that paddling out to the spot was literally the hardest my arms and back have worked in my life. I was sore for days afterwards. I didn't do so great standing, but i wasn't really expecting to do that, but paddling was far harder than I imagined.

I'm resurrecting this thread because DS really wants to try surfing when we go in February, but I am having trouble figuring out how to make this happen walking distance from Aulani, as we won't have a car (nor will it be an option) and I'm hoping for some suggestions...? Thanks :)!

I believe Hawaiian Surf will pick you up for a fee from Aulani. They were wonderful!

Another vote for Hawaiian Fire! We drove but I believe they will pick you up from Aulani.

I'm resurrecting this thread because DS really wants to try surfing when we go in February, but I am having trouble figuring out how to make this happen walking distance from Aulani, as we won't have a car (nor will it be an option) and I'm hoping for some suggestions...? Thanks :)!
Please come back and give a review!! Think we're going to try to do lessons in Waikiki, but it'd be great to have a known option near Aulani just in case. Have fun!!!

Please come back and give a review!! Think we're going to try to do lessons in Waikiki, but it'd be great to have a known option near Aulani just in case. Have fun!!!
I would be happy to, if and when it all works out :)!

I have a 4 and a 8 year old. My 8 year old wants to take surfing lessons so naturally my 4 year old does too! Is 4 year olds too young? Any particular groups better with smaller kids? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter