Surf lessons. North shore vs Waikiki

CaliTwinMom

Earning My Ears
We will be staying at Aulani this September. My 8 year old twins girls really want to do surf lessons. Which would be a better place Waikiki or the north shore? Or is 8 years old too young? (We’re from california and they’re both good swimmers)

Last edited:
we did ours on the north shore, no regrets, my youngest was 7, a lady instructor went on the board with her and my other daughter who was 9 went alone. The instructors helped them paddle out because that is by far the hardest part. They had a great time.

we did ours on the north shore, no regrets, my youngest was 7, a lady instructor went on the board with her and my other daughter who was 9 went alone. The instructors helped them paddle out because that is by far the hardest part. They had a great time.
What was the name of the company you booked with?

We will be staying at Aulani this September. My 8 year old twins girls really want to do surf lessons. Which would be a better place Waikiki or the north shore? Or is 8 years old too young? (We’re from california and they’re both good swimmers)

We did Sparky’s surf school in Waikiki and it was excellent. My 5 year old son and husband both went whilst my daughter and I watched from the beach and they had a blast. Huge vote for Sparky’s!

We’ve always had walked up to the rental booths behind the Westin/Sheraton/Royal Hawaiian resorts and have never had any issues.

Making our 12th trip to Aulani this Christmas.

We did surfs up HI on Eisenhower beach which was only 15 mins from Aulani. We liked it. For you get kids, they made us do private lessons (1:1) but that was good for my kids.

My daughter had a lesson from Waikiki Beach Services near the Sheraton. We inquired same day. The upcoming class was full, so they gave her a private lesson for the same price as the class lesson. My DH and I also asked about renting a beach umbrella and chairs from the same place and they let us use them for free. Too when our daughter’s goggles broke, they gave us a brand new pair for free. Part way through the lesson, a photographer went out on a board and took photos and videos of the lesson. The most expensive aspect of the lesson was purchasing the memory stick. My daughter really enjoyed the lesson and we may repeat when we visit next year.
By the way, we weren’t staying on Waikiki. We found a nice restroom on the lobby level of the Sheraton where we were able to change in and out of swimsuits.

I would go with what the instructor recommends. They know the waves and what is the safest place for young ones. I would go with the professional advice over anyone here. JMO

My son (10) and husband did lessons in Waikiki with 'Ohana Surf Project. After being there for 12 days and doing so many things, they both say this was their favorite activity of the trip! Neither had ever touched a surfboard before.

I’m glad to hear that! My husband and daughter are having a lesson this August with them.
My son (10) and husband did lessons in Waikiki with 'Ohana Surf Project. After being there for 12 days and doing so many things, they both say this was their favorite activity of the trip! Neither had ever touched a surfboard before.

I’m glad to hear that! My husband and daughter are having a lesson this August with them.

We paid a little extra to get photos taken during the lesson, which I really appreciated because I hated missing out on seeing my son surfing! But I was staying behind with my 5 year old. They loved their lesson and said the instructors were really amazing! Gave lots of encouragement, called everyone by name... My son by the end really didn't want to try to stand up anymore because he hadn't been very successful, and the instructor was fine with just continuing to swim him and his board back out so he could ride the waves in on his stomach over & over!

I can't speak to anything about surfing, but when we visited in September we went to the North Shore and the waves were intense! We experienced the same on Maui and Kauai as well. Not sure if it was the time of year perhaps? I'm not a strong swimmer so I would not go in the ocean because of it. Waikiki seemed a lot calmer. Just something to consider with an 8 year old.

I can't speak to anything about surfing, but when we visited in September we went to the North Shore and the waves were intense! We experienced the same on Maui and Kauai as well. Not sure if it was the time of year perhaps? I'm not a strong swimmer so I would not go in the ocean because of it. Waikiki seemed a lot calmer. Just something to consider with an 8 year old.

Winter time, the waves are big on the North Shore. That is where they have the surfing competitions. It is much calmer on the southside of the Island. But in summer, the waves are smaller on the North Side.

If the kids are up for an adventure, try Climbworks Keana Farms zip lining! It was amazing!

I say waikiki

It depends on the waves on the day of the lessons. We've been to Oahu during the summer months and went this past March. I'm an experienced open water swimmer and there was no way I was going to get in the water on the North Shore in March, in the same locations I've had no qualms swimming in during June or July. I love jumping off the rocks in Waimea Bay but skipped it this time around. The waves were crazy!

When we did surf lessons on Kauai we went with an company that will call you the night before your lesson to tell you which beach to meet them at. They looked at the wave forecast and picked the beach that had the best waves for beginners. I'm sure there are companies on Oahu that will do the same.

Take a look at North Shore Surf Girls. That day we surfed at Chun's Reef. Very happy with the experience.

Definitely the North Shore. It's literally the surfing capital of the world and you'll find the best schools there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter