Surf Lessons at TL

goodfaerie

DIS Veteran
I was thinking of giving a surf lesson to my partner as a Christmas gift on our trip to WDW. It's going to be really fun to start calling her "Gidget."

If you've taken the surf lesson, can you please tell me if it was a fun activity and if it was "worth" the 125.00 it's going to cost?

Many thanks,

GF
:rainbow:

bump.gif

Bought my dh surf lessons for his 35th birthday. It was a blast, but a little frustrating for him as he is wished he had a bigger board, it was hard to stay balanced on it. If you have never surfed, this is a great program. The perfect wave is set up for you everytime. Depending on the size of your group, you get to surf about 12 waves. It will tire you out, especially your arms, so plan a relaxing day after. It was our last day of our vacation, which I planned, so that muscle soreness later that day and the next didn't interfere with our vacation. It was a great experience, and he had fun, but found out that at this stage in his life, surfing was not really his thing ;)

DS's have surfed before, and they surfed at TL last Monday. They both had a blast. They said it was the highlight of the trip, definetly worth it.

Has anyone done this tour in the winter? GF, is your trip at Christmas, or is it just going to be Christmas gift? I'd like to schedule the Surf Lessons for my DH (I'll call him Gidget, as well :rotfl: ), but I'm afraid that he'll freeze his butt off at the end of December. Any input would be wonderful!

Ava31 said:
Has anyone done this tour in the winter? GF, is your trip at Christmas, or is it just going to be Christmas gift? I'd like to schedule the Surf Lessons for my DH (I'll call him Gidget, as well :rotfl: ), but I'm afraid that he'll freeze his butt off at the end of December. Any input would be wonderful!

hey Ava! Yeah, it's a Christmas present and we will be there...we're going from 12/14-Christmas night. I live in RI, and I am not kidding when I tell you that the surfers are up bright and early on Christmas morning, catching the waves off of First Beach. I guess my thinking is, ANYtime in FL is going to be warmer than Christmas Day in RI. :lmao:

My "Gidget" already knows about the present because I wasn't sure if she would really want surfing lessons...of course she said yes, and is hoping we can get reservations for the date we want...

Have a great trip!

:rainbow:
GF

My 3 kids did this last December. My girls loved it. They have a huge heater to stand in front of when you are not in the water. The water was warm also.

My kids were hurting though after the lessons.

hockey mom said:
My 3 kids did this last December. My girls loved it. They have a huge heater to stand in front of when you are not in the water. The water was warm also.

Good to know about the heater! Not so much the hurting part...how long did it take them to recover? Of course, we're talking about a 34-year-old man, too...recovery time will probably be a bit longer. The way our dates work out, it will be impossible to do it at the end, so it looks like it will be Day 3 of our week-long trip (poor guy). Do you think a wetsuit is necessary or did everyone just wear bathing suits?

My dd who is 17 surfs at home and loves Typhoon lagoon for surf lessons. You go very early in the morning and its nice to see the park without anyone in it. She got in alot of waves in April as there werent many people in her group and is going again in about 2 weeks. Lots of fun, very quick paced, and everyone gets a certificate at the end, the one the girls get says "Gidget" surfer on it.

My kids were sore for a few days- nothing that stopped them from touring the parks though. :thumbsup2

One guy in our group had a wet suit on while everyone else was in a bathing suit.

My kids did this in July. EVERY person in their group was surfing after one try, except my DD. She finally got it. The part that was the hardest for everyone was carrying the boards back for your next turn. It was well worth the money spent. The people running it were great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter