Surcharge

Ro Z

DIS Veteran
A friend told me that the prix fixe meals now have a surcharge added to them on the DP. Anyone know if this is correct? If so, any idea how much $$?

If there is a surcharge added,then it's not a fixed price meal is it?:confused3

There is no surcharge. All you have to pay on a DP is anything you order that isnt included and the tip.

The only exception to this is at Marrakesh. The feasts there do indeed have a small(ish) surcharge when purchasing them via DDP.

Thanks! I dont know where she heard this but... One of my fav meals is Chefs onion soup braised ribs and creme brulee. So I wanted to be prepared! :goodvibes

Currently only Marrakesh adds a surcharge to their feasts, but on page 2 of the 2013 pdf of the dining plan it says:

"Choosing items from a separate prix fixe menu offered at certain locations requires payment of a surcharge in addition to redeeming the number of Table-Service entitlements required at the location."

Unfortunately it's not clear if this is referring to restaurants that choose to add a surcharge such as Marrakesh or if all prix fixe menus will have a surcharge in 2013. If I had to guess, I would say it's only to cover places such as Marrakesh which is a non-Disney operated restaurant.

Currently only Marrakesh adds a surcharge to their feasts, but on page 2 of the 2013 pdf of the dining plan it says:

"Choosing items from a separate prix fixe menu offered at certain locations requires payment of a surcharge in addition to redeeming the number of Table-Service entitlements required at the location."

Unfortunately it's not clear if this is referring to restaurants that choose to add a surcharge such as Marrakesh or if all prix fixe menus will have a surcharge in 2013. If I had to guess, I would say it's only to cover places such as Marrakesh which is a non-Disney operated restaurant.

Well, that is probably what she read! I am looking at Nov. So it shouldn't matter....until next year. Hopefully they will clarify!

I read, someone on the dining plan description, that the price fixe meals that carry a surcharge for DDP users are those where the DDP plan does not include some part of the meal, and the surcharge amount is the price of that part.

For example, if you are on DDP and eating a table service lunch, there is no appetizer included in your plan. If you choose a price fixe meal that includes an appetizer, you will be surcharged the price of the appetizer.

I read, someone on the dining plan description, that the price fixe meals that carry a surcharge for DDP users are those where the DDP plan does not include some part of the meal, and the surcharge amount is the price of that part.

For example, if you are on DDP and eating a table service lunch, there is no appetizer included in your plan. If you choose a price fixe meal that includes an appetizer, you will be surcharged the price of the appetizer.

Not necessarily. Currently if you order a fixed price meal from a special menu anywhere but Marrakesh (like at Le Cellier lunch or Kona, or San Angel's special three course, or Chefs de France's prix fixe) you get the appetizer and don't pay extra, even on the regular DDP. Marrakesh has a surcharge of $5-$7 per person for their multicourse "feasts" on DDP.

The jury's still out on what the paragraph in the 2013 brochure means - whether it applies to restaurants like Marrakesh that choose to offer multi-course meals with a surcharge, or whether it will apply to ALL fixed price special menus in the future. Some guests are reading it to say it applies to all of them, but we can't say it does or it doesn't. The wording of the paragraph is too ambiguous.

I tend to think it was put in there to cover Marrakesh, because a lot of those three course menus were in my opinion instituted to steer DDP users away from the most expensive entrees by offering them an appetizer if they choose a cheaper entree.

Not necessarily. Currently if you order a fixed price meal from a special menu anywhere but Marrakesh (like at Le Cellier lunch or Kona, or San Angel's special three course, or Chefs de France's prix fixe) you get the appetizer and don't pay extra, even on the regular DDP. Marrakesh has a surcharge of $5-$7 per person for their multicourse "feasts" on DDP.

The jury's still out on what the paragraph in the 2013 brochure means - whether it applies to restaurants like Marrakesh that choose to offer multi-course meals with a surcharge, or whether it will apply to ALL fixed price special menus in the future. Some guests are reading it to say it applies to all of them, but we can't say it does or it doesn't. The wording of the paragraph is too ambiguous.

I tend to think it was put in there to cover Marrakesh, because a lot of those three course menus were in my opinion instituted to steer DDP users away from the most expensive entrees by offering them an appetizer if they choose a cheaper entree.
Wouldn't the presence of this line in the DxDDP brochure also slant the thought down this road? Since an app is included there anyway, there would be little sense to include this line in the DxDDP booklet if it was about getting extra entitlements. (Of course, those Disney printers are not the best group of printing people around... or, more likely, the people who prepare the documentation to be sent to the printers... (especially since we see these things in the PDF, which likely comes from the same source (and in some cases is likely the same source) that the printers get themselves)).

Of course, it COULD be about both, but certain key words (e.g. "some") lend itself more down the road of covering their behind when it comes to Marrakesh, as well as opening the possibility for other (likely non-Disney) restaurants to start doing the same.

Just more food for thought.

;)

I ran this by my wife, who, as a fortune 100 company's attorney, is better at deciphering legalese than I. After she pointed out that Disney has traditionally hired the most aggressive and experienced attornies in the world, she interpreted the 2013 sentence to mean:
"In some restaurants, there will be a surcharge applied to price fixe meals. Unless you look at the menus, you won't know which restaurants and meals this applies to, or whether they vary the policy based upon whether you are using DDP or DxDP. They are not saying every price fixe meal, whether lunch or dinner, or whether you have DDP or DxDP, will be surcharged."

So they're experienced attorneys, but they've fixed that sentence so only other attorneys seem to understand it - there's been MANY posters who interpreted it as meaning ALL prix fixe will have a surcharge.

I'm a non-practicing attorney but I read it the same as the above.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter