Supraventricular Tachycardia

This is incorrect.

Supra = above the ventricles. (Ventricular tachycardia is more serious.)

Arrythmias can (and do) occur at any age.

The test for arrythmias is known as an Electrophysiology Study (EPS). If a correctable arrythmia is inducible they do an ablation, i.e. they ablate the "accessory pathway" or the irregular electrical conduction pathway. They can do this in several different ways. Sometimes patients prefer to try "medical management" with medications. Often these work but it may take several different medications before finding the one that works best for any given patient. If medications fail to control it, or if the patient prefers not to take medications, then they can go ahead with ablation.

Straining to try to stop this type of arrythmia stimulates the vagus nerve, which slows the heart rate and hopefully a normal rythm kicks in. (Normal rythms start at the sinus node; arrythmias/dysrythmias start elsewhere.) Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. (This is the same action that causes people to pass out during blood draws or other painful procedures when the vagus nerve is stimulated inadvertently, aka a vasovagal response.)

LuLu, good luck. Anyone who has this type of thing should definitely be seeing a cardiologist.

That's exactly why I chose to do the ablation. It has been 15 years since my ablation with no meds and so far so good. :goodvibes

I have it. When I was 21 I had a heart ablation done to correct it. Basically they went through my leg (like a heart cath) and used a laser to burn off the irregular cells causing the tachacardia. So far, the only time I have flutters or any type of weird beats is when I have hormone surges. (such as monthly or while I was pregnant). I have not needed medication since 6 months after the procedure. :goodvibes

ETA: When they discovered mine, my heart rate was well above 200 and my entire body was shaking from my heartbeat. There happened to be a cardiologist on call in the ER that day and he suggested having a heart cath to see what was going on. Once in the heart cath procedure, they were able to identify the part of the heart that was causing the issues and perform the ablation.

My sister had the same thing when she was about 14-15. No problems whatsoever now and she's 35 and has had two children.

My daughter developed SVT when she was about 18. She would have episodes of rapid heart beat all day long going up to 160 bpm. Really bothered her when she would be at rest. Long story short, she saw an electrical heart doctor and had the cardiac ablation a few years ago - they had to do node on left side of heart which is slightly more of a procedure than it being the node on right side of heart. 1 night in hospital, aspirin for awhile after ablation and she is good as new. It has been about 2 years and she has had no episodes.

This is incorrect.

Supra = above the ventricles. (Ventricular tachycardia is more serious.)

Arrythmias can (and do) occur at any age.

The test for arrythmias is known as an Electrophysiology Study (EPS). If a correctable arrythmia is inducible they do an ablation, i.e. they ablate the "accessory pathway" or the irregular electrical conduction pathway. They can do this in several different ways. Sometimes patients prefer to try "medical management" with medications. Often these work but it may take several different medications before finding the one that works best for any given patient. If medications fail to control it, or if the patient prefers not to take medications, then they can go ahead with ablation. Straining to try to stop this type of arrythmia stimulates the vagus nerve, which slows the heart rate and hopefully a normal rythm kicks in. (Normal rythms start at the sinus node; arrythmias/dysrythmias start elsewhere.) Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. (This is the same action that causes people to pass out during blood draws or other painful procedures when the vagus nerve is stimulated inadvertently, aka a vasovagal response.)

LuLu, good luck. Anyone who has this type of thing should definitely be seeing a cardiologist.

Most of the time that is correct. It depends on where it originates from. Some tachycardias can originate from the sinus node and If it originates from the sinus node (like mine does) doing an ablation could destroy the entire sinus node and would cause a need for a pacemaker

Most likely, the OPs condition would be able to be fixed via ablation. The abnormal tachycardias that originate from the sinus node are uncommon.

I had it for several years. It was semi-controlled for a while with meds, but after a few trips to the ER during severe episodes to get the injection to STOP my heart (it only stops it for a few seconds but is a terribly weird sensation) my cardiologist recommended I have the ablation. I resisted for a while, but then had a pretty bad episode when I was on a business trip traveling alone - that did it.

My ablation was done about 2 years ago & I've had no problems since. No meds, no ill side effects whatsoever. Well, except for the medical bills......insurance covered most of it but the cost was about $40k! :scared1:

I had it for several years. It was semi-controlled for a while with meds, but after a few trips to the ER during severe episodes to get the injection to STOP my heart (it only stops it for a few seconds but is a terribly weird sensation) my cardiologist recommended I have the ablation. I resisted for a while, but then had a pretty bad episode when I was on a business trip traveling alone - that did it.

My ablation was done about 2 years ago & I've had no problems since. No meds, no ill side effects whatsoever. Well, except for the medical bills......insurance covered most of it but the cost was about $40k! :scared1:

$40K sounds about right. I had an EP study. ONLY an EP study. No ablation and the bill was about $38,000. My cardiologist said that if she had done an ablation it probably would have been between like $45-$50K.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter