Supposed to be leaving this Sunday....but....

AlisaAnn

Earning My Ears
We are supposed to be leaving from New Orleans to Orlando on Sunday the 12th. I don't know what to do, though, with Hurricane Ivan threatening FL again. Of course, no one knows until it happens, just exactly where it will hit. Like I said, I live in New Orleans, and it could hit HERE....

I just need some advice.....
Someone please tell me what they would do if they were me.....

We have been planning this trip for the past 2 YEARS!!!

HELP!!!!

Thanks,
Alisa------

We are leaving tomorrow just after noon to drive down. Arriving in Orlando on Sat noonish. We are gonna see how things look along the way and depending on Ivan we have decided that we could always stop along the way for an additional day or two or leave early if necessary. We are renting a house adn it is paid for and we can't change the dates but i can't and won't take my family if it will be dangerous. I am not gonna be over cautious either. Just wait a few more days and see how it goes. I know it isn't lookgin good thoguh :(

This is a tough one - I hate giving people advice, but thought I'd reply - - - my friend and her family are leaving 9/10/04 for WDW. They lived through a hurricane several years ago at WDW and said they were duly impressed with how organized, safe and 'open' the park was. They felt safe, and although were very wet, they loved the fact that there were no crowds. I'd say GO and have fun, at least if you are wet w/ rain, the heat won't bug you. My daughter and I leave on 9/17/04 for WDW, and are looking forward to it, Ivan will be mostly gone by then.

Prayers go out to all in the path of these recent storms.

By the current looks of things, the PREDICTIONS are all for Ivan to head along the west coast of FL and into the panhandle. Orlando will surely get lots of rain but not the strong effects of the storm (again by this moments predictions)

If you're willing to deal with being very wet I'd say go for it. This is unfortunately 1 of the biggest down sides of planning to visit WDW this time of year. Sorry you're having to make this choice.

We were at WDW and POR from last Thursday through Tuesday morning...just in time for Frances. We knew we were headed for bad weather but also didn't want to alter our plans. We were well cared for and I couldn't think of a better place to be than in Disney World. If I had to do it over again, I would. It was my husband and three adult children. I might think differently if small children were involved.

My husband & I are in Chicago and my 17 yo nephew from NOLA was mmeting us in Orlando for the weekend. So yeaterday-when we were flying out and he also-my sister calls & said Ivan made a turn and people in Tampa were evacuating! So long story short-I had to cancel everything yesterday. We are all heartbroken! Three hours on the phone and computer-what a mess! Now we have to decide when to go back. We had our flights with ATA and they will not chanrge any penalties or differences in fares if we fly by 9/30. My nephew's ticket with SWA is now a credit voucher. I avoided anty penalites with Disney by changing the date on our reservation at POR. So now we are looking at the weekend of 9-24. Hopefully all will work out & we will get to go! Wish us luck! Send pixie dust our way!
LONG STORY SHORT: I know what you're dealing with AlisaAnn ( I am from NOLA & what happens if they start to close airports & you CAN"T GET A FLIGHT OUT!!) That's what we were really afraid of...

Hey Dani...

I feel your pain:(

We have decided not to go...
We are going to leave next Sunday instead, provided that there are no more storms going FL's way!!

This has just been an unbelievable time for the residents of FL.
I sure hope that IVAN weakens before making landfall.
The eye didn't even hit Jamaica, and they are devastated.
I sure hope that everything will be alright in Orlando.
We have planned this trip for almost 4 years.

Good luck!!

Alisa--

My gf and I were supposed to fly out on Sunday night. We decided not to risk it and changed our flight to depart friday. Unfortunately our hotel was already booked through priceline and i think it's unlikely we'll get a refund unless Ivan goes somewhat near Orlando/Kissimmee. On the up side, We're staying 9 days instead of 7 and decided to stay at Disney instead of an off site hotel.

Just 6 days andcounting. Hopefully Ivan is gone by then. It keeps getting slower and slower.

Best of luck to all!!

Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always gotten

It looks like Ivan is going to make landfall somewhere in the panhandle. That is good news for the poor people on the east and west coast of Florida. I live about 60 miles from where Frances made landfall. I have friends and people that I work with that still are without power.

I still love Florida but hate the hurricanes. Although i did graduate from UM!! LOL!! I still hate hurricanes!! I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I have lived here all my life and have never had to experience 2 storms back to back. I am leaving for Orlando on Thursday. Was considering canceling though. I need a good stress relief after the past few weeks. I have been a wreck emotionally and am looking forward to getting away from it all for awhile!! Hubby wouldn't hear of us not going. It is my birthday present from him. So we are going. Bringing my tourist dollars to Orlando!!

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Well, we decided to reschedule to leave Fri 9.24 for our weekend. I PRAY that we don't have to change things again. God help us! We decided to go sooner than later b/c we avoided penalties from ATA by traveling before 9.30. All worked out OK except I couldn't get the exact same flight for my NOLA nephew :( and we had to pay an extra $58. So much for the bargain deal I originally got! And I have to arrange to get someone to work for me. But we are still going and it will be great! There are remedies for all of the little issues and that's good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter