Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering this too. I had planned to go in July and i'm confused about what happens if the park is still closed and i'm not able to use the two 3 day park hoppers I have by January 2021? I bought my tickets from Undercover Tourist.
It's what we are all wondering. We don't understand why they aren't extending the multi-day tickets.

I'm wondering this too. I had planned to go in July and i'm confused about what happens if the park is still closed and i'm not able to use the two 3 day park hoppers I have by January 2021? I bought my tickets from Undercover Tourist.
If they don't announce anything different from normal operations, on January 14th, 2021, your tickets will effectively become a coupon worth whatever the face value was at the time you bought them off of the purchase of new tickets.

That I can live with.

I am much more concerned about what will happen to my 3 day child promo ticket if we can't go by 12/15/20.

We had planned to go after getting off the WBPC cruise--obviously that didn't happen! I also have a 3 day child promo ticket that I'm not sure we can use by the current expiration date. Hoping they will extend, esp. if this goes on for many more months.

Mathematically, I think the default option (for AP Holders on the payment plan) leans in Disney’s favor, at least if you began your contract with a $154 (?) downpayment. That money is not refunded prorata if you take the defaul option, but if you take the “pause” option, you get the full value for what you paid.

Obviously, every family situation is different, and that has an impact as well.

Mathematically, I think the default option (for AP Holders on the payment plan) leans in Disney’s favor, at least if you began your contract with a $154 (?) downpayment. That money is not refunded prorata if you take the defaul option, but if you take the “pause” option, you get the full value for what you paid.

Obviously, every family situation is different, and that has an impact as well.

Yeah, for me I have a cluster of trips in the 30-45 days after pass expiration and then a 3-4 month drought, it will make sense for me to extend expiration.

Someone who is at the end of their pass year and didn’t have many trips coming up might do well to take the default (cost reduction) and buy a new pass on their next trip.

Does anyone think that there might be significant changes to the AP program after the parks reopen? I can see them moving to a reservation based system for all passes, not just the flex. I've heard that Disney has wanted to reign in the AP program for a while now. This seems like the time to do it. On the other hand, it could be like after 9/11 when they were desperate to get anyone into the parks. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Does anyone think that there might be significant changes to the AP program after the parks reopen? I can see them moving to a reservation based system for all passes, not just the flex. I've heard that Disney has wanted to reign in the AP program for a while now. This seems like the time to do it. On the other hand, it could be like after 9/11 when they were desperate to get anyone into the parks. It will be interesting to see what happens.
I feel like we won't know until they open. But I hope they don't do anything major. Last year I think they actually lost many passholders due to the significant increase in cost and the fear of Star Wars crowds. But we will just have to wait and see. I just want all of this to be over so we can go back to our normal lives!

I think it really comes down to the economy. The effects of this shut down are no longer just COVID related. ~10 million unemployed in the past two week... I figure Disney will ride it out for this year but we might see some adjustments come January.

I’m fairly surprised we haven’t seen deep deals for fall/winter already (same with airfare!), I would think they want to keep the machine rolling as much as possible. If you had a bunch of ~$275 to $300 DLH rooms and ~$235 PPH or something they might start booking up everything for the people that feel they have solid savings or haven’t been hit yet...

Last edited:
Anyone reach out to Undercover Tourist for a refund? I couldn't find anything searching the thread. I bought the child promo ticket for my kid and it expires Dec 15th, while my wife and mine expire 1/13. It's unlikely we'll be back by then if (when?) our May trick gets the axe.

We booked directly from Disney and I've now asked twice for a refund. I've been told they are not refundable. I'm doubtful it'll be safe to go during the summer and we have to go during school breaks. We are waiting to see if Disney changes their policy. Would love to hear if you had better luck getting a refund.

I think it really comes down to the economy. The effects of this shut down are no longer just COVID related. ~10 million unemployed in the past two week... I figure Disney will ride it out for this year but we might see some adjustments come January.

I’m fairly surprised we haven’t seen deep deals for fall/winter already (same with airfare!), I would think they want to keep the machine rolling as much as possible. If you had a bunch of ~$275 to $300 DLH rooms and ~$235 PPH or something they might start booking up everything for the people that feel they have solid savings or haven’t been hit yet...

I’m surprised as well.... if they had deals like that for November or December, we’d have booked a holiday trip already.

I’m surprised as well.... if they had deals like that for November or December, we’d have booked a holiday trip already.

I was talking about this with my wife.
After the 2008/2009 crisis, Disney did a Kids sail free cruise and that's the only time I was able to go on a Disney cruise.
I'm also not seeing great specials from air companies for airfare.
We're planning to go to Brazil in December and the prices are absurd, higher than ever.

Has anyone called Disney regarding their annual pass payments? The customer service representative didn’t sound well informed and I actually had to read the statement online twice to her in regards to payments for both options being paused for the time being (she was insisting that payments would continue each month like normal for option 2). She also said that refunds for March are only for those that pick option 1. I would love any clarification from someone.

Has anyone called Disney regarding their annual pass payments? The customer service representative didn’t sound well informed and I actually had to read the statement online twice to her in regards to payments for both options being paused for the time being (she was insisting that payments would continue each month like normal for option 2). She also said that refunds for March are only for those that pick option 1. I would love any clarification from someone.
I would wait until after tomorrow to call back.

I just thought of a way Disney could recoup a bunch of cash for this unprecedented closure. Okay, here goes....

Sell a “Golden Ticket” lifetime pass to their parks.

Think of how much of a cash infusion they’d get right now.

I’m watching Gavin Newsom’s press conference, and he just strongly implied that the NFL will not be playing in California in September. If football games aren’t going to happen, I seriously doubt Disney will be open either. I guess I need to figure out what happens with my Southwest travel points that expire in September.

Hi guys

Hope everyone is well and doing the best they can in this crazy time.

Here in New Zealand we are in a National lockdown period of 4 weeks. (it maybe extended and probably will but the government has told us 4 at the moment). Only essential workers can work eg. supermarket, Hospital workers, Truck drivers etc.

The rest of us have to stay at home and work from home if we can.
The boarders to the country are shut and no flights are allowed in or out.

we have a trip booked and a paid for for 9-16 October (booked in December last year). This was to be our families first visit to Disneyland and surprise 5th birthday trip for our girl.

I read a news article yesterday about American Airlines delaying till next year their New flight service destinations and stopping their Auckland-Los Angeles daily flight service till the end of October. I went and checked out their official web page and yep there it is the same information. We are booked to fly American Airlines.

I was debating weather we would make this trip or not depending on the covid-19 as I have been following the news around the world.

I see a lot of people are changing their dates for October/November so I guess the park would be crazy busy.

Anyway sorry to ramble but my thoughts are all over the place a the moment.

I looked on Air New Zealand to see if they are flying there they are but it is an extra $1700 to fly with them, at the time I booked with American Airlines , Air New Zealand were more expensive by over $1000 dollars .

My question is I don't know what to do? do I cancel the trip and wait till October next year? do you think the Airline not flying there will enable me to get my money back or will they give us a flight credit? I guess it would probably depend on if we have a fight credit to to use or not. it was $2997 so is a lot of money.

The price of Christmas flights is insane as i looked at that as a possibility it is an extra $2000 not to mention the price difference of what our accommodation would be which is an extra $965.

I think I have probably answered my own question here guys as I think it will depend on if we get a flight credit or money back.

If we get a flight credit we can book for another date. If we get money back we maybe able to fly with Air New Zealand and keep our dates.

Thanks for letting me ramble guys.

I’m watching Gavin Newsom’s press conference, and he just strongly implied that the NFL will not be playing in California in September. If football games aren’t going to happen, I seriously doubt Disney will be open either. I guess I need to figure out what happens with my Southwest travel points that expire in September.
Southwest points no longer expire , are you talking about travel funds ? We are in the same boat when it comes to travel funds.

The US department of transportation announced today that they are requiring US airlines to REFUND, not give a flight credit, for any flights that are cancelled by the airlines. So you should call AA and tell them that they cancelled your flight and you want a full refund. There is an article about this today from CNN but I will have to find it.

Here it is in case the link gets taken out of the thread; this is directly from the US Department of Transportation‘s website:

Am I Entitled to a Refund?
When the airline is at fault:

Passengers are often entitled to a refund of the ticket price and associated fees when the airline is at fault.

• Cancelled Flight – A passenger is entitled to a refund if the airline cancelled a flight, regardless of the reason, and the passenger chooses not to be rebooked on a new flight on that airline.
  • Schedule Change/Significant Delay - A passenger is entitled to a refund if the airline made a significant schedule change and/or significantly delays a flight and the passenger chooses not to travel.
    • In some situations, you may be entitled to a refund, including a refund for all optional fees associated with the purchase of your ticket (such as baggage fees, seat upgrades, etc.).
    • DOT has not specifically defined “significant delay.” Whether you are entitled to a refund depends on many factors – including the length of the delay, the length of the flight, and your particular circumstances. DOT determines whether you are entitled to a refund following a significant delay on a case-by-case basis.
  • Class of Service Change - A passenger is entitled to a refund if the passenger was involuntarily moved to a lower class of service. For example, if the passenger purchased a first-class ticket and was downgraded to economy class due to an aircraft swap, the passenger is owed the difference in fares.
  • Optional Service Fees - A passenger is entitled to a refund if the passenger paid a fee for an optional service (for example, in-flight Wi-Fi or a seat assignment), but was unable to use the optional service due to a flight cancellation, delay, schedule change, or a situation where the passenger was involuntarily denied boarding.
    • Note: In situations where you have purchased an optional service (for example, WiFi or in-flight entertainment) and that amenity either does not work or is not available on the flight, you may need to notify the airline of the problem to receive a refund.
  • Baggage Fees - A passenger is entitled to a refund if the passenger paid a baggage fee and his or her baggage has been declared lost by the airline.
    • Airlines may have different policies to determine when a bag is officially lost. Most airlines will declare a bag lost between five and fourteen days after the flight, but this can vary from one airline to another.
    • If an airline unreasonably refuses to consider a bag lost after it has been missing for an unreasonable period of time, the airline could be subject to enforcement action by the DOT.
    • Learn more about lost, delayed, or damaged baggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter