Supermarket Question

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
Not sure where to post this, moderators. Hope it's ok here.....

We're going to be making a supermarket stop with our towncar service prior to checking in. I don't know which supermarket to ask to be taken to.

I think my choices are:

Publix
Winn Dixie
Goodings

I got a Winn Dixie card and I don't think the other two have 'club' cards. Which will give me the most selection, competitive (not necessarily cheapest) prices and is close to WDW? We're staying at WL. I want to buy some toiletries, food and formula for baby and some snack things.

Please give me some advice. I'm in NJ and we Genaurdi's and Super G (Giant) so I'm really not familiar with the shops in Florida.

Thanks!

Originally posted by scanne
Not sure where to post this, moderators. Hope it's ok here.....

We're going to be making a supermarket stop with our towncar service prior to checking in. I don't know which supermarket to ask to be taken to.

I think my choices are:

Publix
Winn Dixie
Goodings

I got a Winn Dixie card and I don't think the other two have 'club' cards. Which will give me the most selection, competitive (not necessarily cheapest) prices and is close to WDW? We're staying at WL. I want to buy some toiletries, food and formula for baby and some snack things.

Please give me some advice. I'm in NJ and we Genaurdi's and Super G (Giant) so I'm really not familiar with the shops in Florida.

Thanks!

We liked WinnDixie. Publix is ok, but I liked the prices better at Winn. Avoid Goodings at all costs. You could blow your entire vacation budget in there. Very very expensive.

I agree that Goodings is an expensive grocery store, but is located in the Crossroads Plaza so will be the closest shop to actual WDW property.

I find Winn-Dixie to be dirty, dingy, and not have as good a quality products. I would NEVER buy any meat at a WD. They do appear to be the cheapest "all around." But I think quality outweighs cost here.

Personally I would go to Publix. I like them a heck of a lot better than Winn-Dixie. I would compare it as a Target and a K-mart. Target, nice and clean, good quality products, possibly a little more expensive, as opposed to K-mart just a plain trashy store.

I agree about Publix - sometimes they are a little higher in prices, but nothing terrible. It's just like here - Super G, Super Fresh, Shop Rite all have some things cheaper than each other, but also have some things more expensive.

When we lived down there, Publix or Albertson's were my stores of choice - I got so used to retirees packing my bags and taking them to the car that when I moved to NJ - BIG culture shock - up here they barely pack anything for you and if they pack one bag they look at you like they've done YOU a favor.:rolleyes:

When hiring a towncar, I have found that they basically lead you to one of the markets that is on their route. There are 2 exists from the airport and the drivers have their market in mind.

We've done Winn Dixie when we exited one direciton from the airport and Publix when we did the other exit from the airport.

Both were good.

You'll love the Wilderness Lodge, our favorite.

:D

We've found the new Winn-Dixie just down the road from Gooding's to be clean, reasonably priced and convenient. We used to go to a Publix down on 192 as their prices were much better than Gooding's. However, as more development has taken place in that area, it seemed their prices increased...but not to the levels of Goodings!

Anybody have any experience with the Super Target. I was planning to stop there on the way from the airport.

On our supermarket stop a month ago, Tiffany Towncar took us to Kash and Karry. It was very nice and reasonably priced. They gave us one of the discount cards and we didn't have to fill out any forms. Publix, I believe, is part of the Kroger chain, which is Dillions, Bakers, etc. The Dillion's here does use a discount card.

On our last trip, I faxed a list to Albertsons (on Orange Blossom Trail, I believe, you can see it from the highway on the way from the airport to WDW). I just went in to the service desk, paid the bill and they brought all the groceries right to the car. Total time was about 5-10 minutes. We plan to do it again this fall.

Also, they didn't charge any extra for this!

I would definitely say go to Publix. Very clean, friendly, large selection and competitive prices. Goodings is too expensive and I'm just not a Winn Dixie fan.

Does anyone know how late the Winn Dixie on S. Apopka-Vineland Rd. is open? Are they open 24/7?

I would go to Publix over Winn Dixie. Their stores are cleaner as a whole and well-stocked. By the way, Publix is an independant employee-owned chain and was started in Lakeland, Fl.

Originally posted by pjshaff
I would go to Publix over Winn Dixie. Their stores are cleaner as a whole and well-stocked. By the way, Publix is an independant employee-owned chain and was started in Lakeland, Fl.

Thanks, pjshaff for that tidbit of info.

I've been to Publix on previous trips, but will be staying very close to a Winn-Dixie this next time, thus my query as to their hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter