• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Super Quiet Cruise Meet Group?

There were probably more than two cabins with FE that you weren't aware of. Frequently there are other groups besides DISsers doing FE. On our last cruise, the group had about 40 cabins of FE that were'nt part of ours...it was a little confusing to deliver as we had to make sure that we got the exact right room number.

I was miffed about the disboard magnets on their door. :confused:

That's the beauty of having a closed or secret group -- you can only find out about it through the DIS or if someone brings you in as a friend.>>>>>Privacy is a big deal. We are very lucky in that our FE person keeps the information on the DIS board, but only posts info in the private FB group.
Never count on anything posted on the Web being private, and certainly not on Facebook. The thing about a "list" on the Dis or on a website is that NO ONE has to divulge their full name/real identity unless they choose to do so. On Facebook, unless someone is using a fake identity, their full REAL name is revealed. Considering that generally only a few people (if any) joining a cruise group will actually know each other prior to sailing, I consider that a bigger invasion of privacy.

With a "closed group" on FB, anyone can search for the group, see the group and who is in it (full member names), but only members can view actual posts. Anyone can request to join. If it is "secret," only members see the group, who is in it and what members post. That really only works if you personally invite everyone individually. In any case, for any groups on Facebook, you WILL disclose your real name/identity to everyone in the group.

I am certainly on Facebook a lot. I'm just saying that no one should get a false sense of security regarding their privacy there. You can post all sorts of details on the Dis without ever having to reveal your last name to total strangers. I would say that is more privacy than Facebook. ;)

Have you seen them post since then?

I checked our thread a few times after our trip. My hunch is that they PMd the group leader who was doing a B2B. I'm thinking the leader got confused and added them to the wrong list. Who knows?

I'm cruising to Alaska in August and one of two people on my meet thread--and the other person has only posted on the thread once. It is a lonely thread! Anyone feel like cruising to Alaska the week of August 20th?

That's the beauty of having a closed or secret group -- you can only find out about it through the DIS or if someone brings you in as a friend.

I can scare you more ---- last cruise on the DIS, we has someone pop in and say that their friend was cruising and wanted to join the FE group. Twenty minutes later we got a post from someone making their first post saying they wanted to join the FE, could someone please send them the list.

It seemed strange to us that it would happen so fast with no introductions or participation so we held off. Upon further investigation, we found that the first poster had make about 10+ other posts to other meets saying something similar and those were the only posts they'd ever made on the DIS. Neither ever posted again.

We suspected something strange. Remember that on public boards - especially where you identify yourself, ANYONE can see who you are and when you are going to be away from your house -- especially in a meet group. When FE info is posted on the public board, basically you have no idea who now has the information about you, your kids names and ages and possibly where you live. That's putting a lot of faith in the general populus.

Privacy is a big deal. We are very lucky in that our FE person keeps the information on the DIS board, but only posts info in the private FB group.

I guess it just depends what you prefer.

See this worries me. We have someone in our FE group that has only posted once and another group of people who added themselves to our FE spreadsheet, and they have never posted on the Disboard. I don't know what to make of it. Our spreadsheet has our cabin numbers and first names, and not much else. Still worries me.

:(

I'm just saying that no one should get a false sense of security regarding their privacy there. You can post all sorts of details on the Dis without ever having to reveal your last name to total strangers. I would say that is more privacy than Facebook. ;)

This makes perfect sense and the reason I'll stay with the DIS group only. Too much info, games and such on Facebook.

See this worries me. We have someone in our FE group that has only posted once and another group of people who added themselves to our FE spreadsheet, and they have never posted on the Disboard. I don't know what to make of it. Our spreadsheet has our cabin numbers and first names, and not much else. Still worries me.

:(

It worried us, too --- especially since when you get the actual list, it has names and ages of kids. We instituted a 10 post policy on the last cruise - same as DIS to pm someone, which was fine since you had to PM the information ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter