Super Bowl Appetizers - any ideas?

CapnJacksGirl

Mom to two little scalliwags!
I'm opting to do just a bunch of appetizers for our Super Bowl party this year and could use a few new ideas. I know I'll do quesadillas and bbq bacon-wrapped shrimp because they're DH's favorites. I'm so over those little cocktail wienie things and don't want to just throw out chips and dip. I thought of doing a pot of chili, but then people have a bowl and a plate to maneuver. Anyone have any good ideas? All help is appreciated! :)

Go Cardinals!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

I know you said you're 'over' little weenies...but have you made 'Sugar Weenies'? They're our new fave. Little weenies with bacon wrapped around, secured with a toothpick and baked with brown sugar on top. They are TO DIE FOR!

I think chili is fine. They'll eat their apps, get rid ofthe plate and then have their bowl of chili. No big deal.

Or a baked potato bar would be fun. With all of the 'fixings'.

Or skip the quesadillas and do a taco bar.

My dh loves the sweet and sour meatballs in the crock pot.

And wings, like a honey BBQ or buffalo. I bake mine and put a bourbon sauce on them and they're delicious and easy!

I have made this for superbowl parties its yummy:

Pizza dip

1 envelope Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Savory Herb with Garlic Soup Mix
1 container (16 oz.) sour cream
1 cup (8 oz.) ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz.)
1/4 cup (1 oz.) chopped pepperoni (optional)
1 loaf Italian or French bread, sliced

1. Preheat oven to 350°. In shallow 1-quart casserole, combine Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Savory Herb with Garlic Soup Mix, sour cream, ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.

2. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.

3. Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve with bread.

I have also made a cheese dip of velvetta and a can of Rotel tomatoes with
green chilis and served that with Fritos "scoops" or Tortilla chips.

I forgot to mention in my last post, if you want something more substantial to eat I have done (along with the dips):

swedish meatballs (I have recipe if you need)
hot roast beef sandwiches (I made a roast beef and cut it as thin as I could and then stuck it in the crockpot with gravy)
wings
chili

Chicken Dip (double it if you're having more than 10 people)

1 large can of all white meat chicken
1 bar of cream cheese
1 can of cream of chicken or the cream of chicken & mushroom
Diced Jalepenos

1) Soften cream cheese (I use the microwave)
2) Add can of soup
3) Add chicken and pull apart the chunks with a fork
4) Dice up about 1/2 tablespoon of Jalepenos to a pickle relish consistency (or more if you want it spicier)
5) Stir it all together
6) Cook @ 375 for 10-15 minutes & stir
7) Cook about another 10 minutes until its bubbly on the sides

Serve with Dip Size Fritos!

Super yummy & most important its SUPER easy & it is ALWAYS requested by my group of friends . . . so much so that I get sick of it.

I have made this for superbowl parties its yummy:

Pizza dip

1 envelope Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Savory Herb with Garlic Soup Mix
1 container (16 oz.) sour cream
1 cup (8 oz.) ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz.)
1/4 cup (1 oz.) chopped pepperoni (optional)
1 loaf Italian or French bread, sliced

1. Preheat oven to 350°. In shallow 1-quart casserole, combine Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Savory Herb with Garlic Soup Mix, sour cream, ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.

2. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.

3. Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve with bread.

I have also made a cheese dip of velvetta and a can of Rotel tomatoes with
green chilis and served that with Fritos "scoops" or Tortilla chips.

Sounds yummy! I might try that for the Super Bowl party that we're going to!

My mom gets these little Egg Rolls from Sams? I think. And Deep fries them. I love them!

1 bag of meatballs
1 jar of slasa
1 jar of apricot jelly

put them all in a crockpot for 3 hours on low, then eat. They are yummy

1 bag of meatballs
1 jar of slasa
1 jar of apricot jelly

put them all in a crockpot for 3 hours on low, then eat. They are yummy

We do similar.. but with BBQ sauce and grape jelly! YUM!

I found a bunch of really great sounding recipes on the pioneer woman's blog site... specifically the Cheddar Puffs and Holiday Bacon Wraps I can't wait to try!

Here is one of my favorites:

Cheesy Bread

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.

One (1) large, round loaf of sour dough bread. Slice of the top and
gut-out and cube the pieces inside. (Get an extra sourdough roll or two to have extra bread.)

Mix together the following ingrdients:

One (1) cup of Hellman's Mayonaise.

One (1) cup of sour cream.

Two (2) cups of shredded cheddar cheese.

Two (2) cups of shredded mozzarella cheese.

One (1) small onion - finely chopped.

One (1) can or bottle of Real Bacon Pieces (Be sure to use Real Bacon
Pieces, not bacon bits. Bacon pieces can normally be found near the
salad dressings.)

Once mixed, fill the empty loaf of bread with the mixture. Place the
filled loaf on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 325 for fifty (50)
minutes.

Then add the cubed chunks of bread around the loaf and bake for an
additional five (5) to seven (7) minutes.

Serve warm.

Here is a link to the Community Forum / Cooking Thread on this board with more appetizer recipes:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=962501

One of my favorites is a multi layer dip. You can stop at any level and mix and match.

We use a rectangular baking dish.
Starting with the bottom layer.
A layer of taco seasoned ground beef (cooked ahead of time in a frypan)
A layer of Bean dip.
A layer of Guacamole.
A layer of Salsa.
A layer of Sour Cream.
A layer of shredded taco cheese.

We've done as few as three layers but the dark bottom with Guacamole, salsa and sour cream on top is great.

Put a bowl of Tortilla chips next to the dip and watch it dissappear.:woohoo:

I make these all the time and everyone loves them. I call them party pizzas:

loaf of cocktail bread (any flavor)
roll of Jimmy Dean sausage
1 7 oz pkg of velveeta cheese

Cook the sausage in a frying pan. Once it's done, put Velveeta in (cut into cubes, so it will melt faster)

Once the cheese is melted, take a spoon and put mixture on a slice of the cocktail bread, put on a cookie sheet. Once the cookie sheet is filled up, put the pizzas in the oven for about 15 mins to crisp the bread.

You can adjust the sausage and cheese by the amount of people you have, if you need more, cook 2 rolls of sausage and use a larger pkg of Velveeta.

I get more compliments on these then anything else I make. People have no idea it's Jimmy Dean sausage and Velveeta. They are delicious and really easy to make. They can also be frozen (once you put them on the bread, just stick in the freezer) for use when you need them.

Working with the quesadillas and chile how about taco salad?

1 large bag of Doritos (13 oz or so - not the family size)- broken but not pulverized
1 head of lettuce, chopped
a bunch of tomatos, chopped
1 lb. of hamburger or ground turkey or chicken
1 pkg of taco seasoning
1 16 oz bottle of Russian Dressing

Cook meat as tho for tacos. Add seasoning as directed. Cool slightly and toss with lettuce, tomatos, doritos and dressing. The recipe calls for the whole bottle of dressing but you can use more or less dressing to taste.

Bacon Cookies

Wrap 1/3 slice bacon around club cracker. Place on broiler pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar (no exact measurement but I like a liberal amount). Bake at 250 degrees approximately 1 hour or until bacon is cooked.

Can be served hot or cold.

They sound weird but they are YUMMY! The first time I made them, the kids and I ate a whole pan full! I had to make more for the party!

I got this recipe from someone here on the DIS right before Christmas. We have made it 5 times now....it is that good!

Jalapeno Popper Dip

2 (8oz.) Pkg. Cream cheese

1 cup Mayo

1 (4oz.) can Chopped green chiles

1 (4oz.) can Diced jalapeno peppers, drained

3/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs

Stir together cream cheese and mayo in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in the green chiles and jalapeno peppers. Mix parmesan and breadcrumbs in baggy. Pour mixture into small casserole dish and sprinkle the parmesan and panko breakcrumbs on top. Bake at 350 until brown and bubbly.

I have also added a jar of marinated artichokes and that was yummy too! We eat this with thinly sliced baquette. You could eat it with bread, veggies or crackers!!

We just made our own potato skins and they were delicious (and easy!)

Just pierce potatos a few times and cook right on the oven rack for 1 hour at 350 degrees. You could do this ahead of time and just finish them off right before you are ready to serve them.

When they're done and cool down a little, cut into quarters lengthwise and scoop out the potato leaving about 1/2 inch of potato and skin.

Flip them over onto a baking sheet and brush with melted butter and cook for 15 minutes until crisp.

Then flip them back over and add cheddar cheese and chopped bacon and melt for 5 mintues.

I make these all the time and everyone loves them. I call them party pizzas:

loaf of cocktail bread (any flavor)
roll of Jimmy Dean sausage
1 7 oz pkg of velveeta cheese

Cook the sausage in a frying pan. Once it's done, put Velveeta in (cut into cubes, so it will melt faster)

Once the cheese is melted, take a spoon and put mixture on a slice of the cocktail bread, put on a cookie sheet. Once the cookie sheet is filled up, put the pizzas in the oven for about 15 mins to crisp the bread.

You can adjust the sausage and cheese by the amount of people you have, if you need more, cook 2 rolls of sausage and use a larger pkg of Velveeta.

I get more compliments on these then anything else I make. People have no idea it's Jimmy Dean sausage and Velveeta. They are delicious and really easy to make. They can also be frozen (once you put them on the bread, just stick in the freezer) for use when you need them.

I call these little pizza's and go a step farther by adding a spoon of pizza sauce on top of the sausage cheese mix, then cook them in the oven for about 15 minutes. Take them out and add mozzerella cheese to each of them and bake until the cheese is melted.

My sister made this dip for New Years Eve:
1 can cream of celery soup
1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 lbs sandwich pepperoni (I think it was 1 1/2lbs, I can't remember! she used stick pepperoni chopped up)
Mix everything together and put in crockpot. She cooked it until heated through and served with cut up pieces of italian bread. It was really really really good! She got the recipe from a girl at work that brought it in for a work Christmas party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter