• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sunset Safari

sls23

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are considering taking the Sunset Safari during our upcoming stay at AKL. I understand that it is a fixed menu and probably varies but can anyone describe what they were served for dinner?

The reason that I ask is that unfortunately both my husband and myself are very picky eaters. Basically we do not eat fish or seafood of any kind, duck, lamb, quail, etc. Essentially, we are happiest with beef, chicken and pork. I am wondering if something like this could be accomodated or if the menu is strict and preset.

We have dined at Jiko before so we are familiar with their menu and there are many items that we do enjoy.

Thank you.

I've not been, but they do state to put in special requests for dietary needs. Whether food preferences will also qualify, I don't know? I'd go ahead and call about the menu for it and then go from there. WDW seems to be very accommodating. I hope you enjoy the safari as much as the others that have been! :D

DD22 and i did the sunset safari 2 weeks. The meal at Jiko was wonderful! Sous Chef Anthony came out and explained every dish and the ingredients.

The 3 main dishes were filet mignon, roasted chicken and monk fish. There is plenty of other food if you do not like the fish. After the bread and spreads, then appitizers, there isn't much room left for the entrees. But save room for the desserts! Anthony's personal receipe for pistachio creme brulee is out of this world!

If you look at the menu on the link below, you will see a description of the dishes. The appitizers we had are the first 4 items on the menu under "From the Cooking Place".

http://allearsnet.com/menu/menu_jiko.htm

I am considering doing this with a friend who does not eat mammals. Seems she'd be okay with the chicken and fish, breads and spreads, and some of the appetizers. I have to wonder if she'd think it was worth the $$, though, if they served stuff she isn't going to eat.

Regardless of the food, the safari itself is worth doing. I have a framed picture on my desk of me standing and 4 giraffes leaning over the fence behind me. To get that close to the animals was the highlight of my last trip and is the reason I'll stay concierge from now on at AKL.

I'm also a very picky eater (no fish, no onions/peppers) and I found enough to eat at Jiko.

Enjoy the Safari!

The sunset safari is only available to AKL concierge guests.

Then by all means if you can do it you should go...must be pretty special if they have to limit attendance this much!!!

DH and I did this safari last month and loved it!
For $150 a person, it was worth every penny!

The safari is of the AKL's three savannahs and their animal housing. Very interesting and we even witnessed an ostrich laying an egg!:earseek:

At Jiko's, another poster gave the main courses.
It is served family style and the head chef comes out and gives the details of each course and the history of his/her favorite dish!

On our night, we were the guests of the Head chef, Annette Grechi.

Anyways, the whole meal was wonderful.
DH and I are both pickey eaters and there was nothing we didn't like!

Leave room for the dessert offerings...like the above poster said,
that pistachio brulee is to die for!::yes::

We will return to the AKL CL and do this AGAIN!!!!!:wave2:

Also, it is only offered to concierge guests, and the minimum age is 16. And only 8 lucky guests get to ride the "one-of-a-kind"
pop-top van, so reservations are a MUST!

:wave:

Thank you for all of your replies regarding the menu selections. We have booked the Sunset Safari for our June stay. The last time we ate at Jiko I recall that we were pretty dressed up (i.e. my husband wore a blazer and tie).

What do people generally wear for the Sunset Safari? I don't want to be underdressed for dinner but also want to make sure we are comfortable during the safari part of the experience.

Thank you.

We weren't dressed-up for the safari.
Even the other men were in shorts and polo shirts.
The other lady and I wore capris and tank with cardigan sets.
Of course, our make-up was on and hair done up!;)

Also.....DH does NOT drink, so we told AKL CL that he needed to have a substitute for the alcohol.
At the sundowner, they had a fabulous fruit drink smoothie for us and at Jiko's they provided several sparkling juices and the fruit smoothie again for him.

They are WONDERFUL!

Have a magical time at the AKL CL, it is one of the BEST on property!:wave:

Originally posted by BambiTamby
DH and I did this safari last month and loved it!
For $150 a person, it was worth every penny!

:wave:

Gotta second that one. Definately worth it.

Shorts and a polo short seemed about the norm for our group.
I'd rather not be in pants in the late afternoon summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter