Sunscreen on airlines

I didn't realize it, but as we were going through security, I had a huge bottle of sunscreen in a hidden pocket that I forgot to empty. I had no idea it was in there, but security took it out and threw it away. I realize that I can't bring it on the plane and that I had no choice but to throw it away, but still......what a waste! And that stuff is expensive. So, only if it is in a tiny bottle, you can carry it on.

The resort gift shops all sell the spray, but its expensive (I want to say $12 for one can). I take it my checked bag, inside a gallon zip bag in case it leaks.

I would take a small tube and use that in case you arrive and are pool ready before your luggage gets there!

I like to lather up my kids with the cream stuff then use the spay for touch ups.

The resort gift shops all sell the spray, but its expensive (I want to say $12 for one can). I take it my checked bag, inside a gallon zip bag in case it leaks.

I would take a small tube and use that in case you arrive and are pool ready before your luggage gets there!

I like to lather up my kids with the cream stuff then use the spay for touch ups.

The spray can can actually be tough on the skin when used too much. Had to bring my son to the dermatologist last summer for eczema. She reccomended stopping the spray and the skin cleared up.

The last time we travled the only thing they said some thing about was the water i took for our baby at the time. But they did not say anything about the sun screan. You could call the airline to make sure.

I just bought that one at Walmart and didn't even notice til I got home and was checking my receipt that it cost $10.92!!! Wow.

I'd return it and go to one of the dollar-type stores. U can sometimes find it for 1-5 dollars. I got the Neutro spray at Ocean's Job Lots for $5 ea last fall.
Fun's a comin'

I have lost sunscreen at the TSA checkpoint TWICE while traveling the last few years!:eek: And once I had to loop back through security to empty about an inch of water in a sippy cup. Don't get me started.

I found a small (2 o.z.?) tube of Banana Boat at Walmart that I now use in my carry-on or purse. I bring the bigger squirt-type bottles for the beginning-of-the-day application and then touch up faces from the travel size while in parks etc.

I have not had good luck with the aerosol sprays. I think they are OK in coverage if you aren't deathly pale and only going to be out for a little while at the pool, but if you're going to be out all day, I prefer one that rubs in, even if it's more work. DH and I used the spray on a cruise once to lay out while on an island and ended up with burn stripes on the insides and outsides of our legs where the spray didn't get!

My best tip for not having to apply so many acres of sunscreen: rashguard shirts for everyone!

PHXscuba

I bought a small 3 oz tube of lotion to take with us the first afternoon/evening while we waited for ME. Low cost and we never used it. We stayed inside a lot, enjoyed shaddy areas and then the next day had our preferred one that had been checked.

Are people finding the aerosol's providing good protection now? I used them when they first came out and didn't think they worked very well. The kids ended up with splotchy sunburn on their chests and backs. I'm guessing they've improved now? We are very fair and burn easily so I always buy the highest sunblock and reapply at least three times per day. I would love to hear that the aerosol is great. Also, does anyone use sunblock or have a recommendation for my scalp as my part gets soooo burned?

I just used some yesterday at the beach and I've got white spots surrounded by bright red areas. Today I used a SPF of 50 in a cream. Worked much better.

I learned the hard way one time about carry-on sunscreen. I moved stuff around last minute between my checked and carry-on bags and my $18 tube of Clinique screenscreen landed in the trash at security.

Yeah, this is the reason we're checking a bag. It's just DS and I and just for 6 days, and I was thinking if we did a quick load of laundry, we could get by with just carryons in August. But then I remembered we needed the aerosol sunscreens! I checked a few stores, but the smallest they apparently come in is 6 oz, which would be too large. The problem is the size, not the aerosol. I do have some aerosol hairsprays in the small bottles, and those have been fine with security. Although a sunscreen in that size would probably last for one application!

And if you read the websites, at least for whatever I was looking at (I think Air Tran) it said aerosol "body products" were permitted, so no wasp killer or something, but anything you would use on your body was fine. We'll each have a 3 oz cream sunscreen in our carryon just in case, but will check a couple of the aerosols.

I have lost sunscreen at the TSA checkpoint TWICE while traveling the last few years!:eek: And once I had to loop back through security to empty about an inch of water in a sippy cup. Don't get me started.

I found a small (2 o.z.?) tube of Banana Boat at Walmart that I now use in my carry-on or purse. I bring the bigger squirt-type bottles for the beginning-of-the-day application and then touch up faces from the travel size while in parks etc.

I have not had good luck with the aerosol sprays. I think they are OK in coverage if you aren't deathly pale and only going to be out for a little while at the pool, but if you're going to be out all day, I prefer one that rubs in, even if it's more work. DH and I used the spray on a cruise once to lay out while on an island and ended up with burn stripes on the insides and outsides of our legs where the spray didn't get!

My best tip for not having to apply so many acres of sunscreen: rashguard shirts for everyone!

PHXscuba

Totally agree with rashgaurds. I am so sick of coating my kids with sunscreen I bought the SPF rashgaurds. I still have to do their faces and some arms and legs , but it is so much easier to just throw the shirt on and go and not have to worry about their torso which is so vulnerable. (not at parks, but when they play in the water/pool/sprinkler)

Is this new? I've always brought the no-rub aerosol sunscreen. I sure hope they didn't ban this.

No aerosol of any kind is allowed in carry-on bags, unless it is for personal care or toiletries. It still needs to be less than 3 oz of liquid though, so most would not get through, since they are larger bottles of liquid typically, if they are aerosol. This has been in effect for quite awhile.

Totally agree with rashgaurds. I am so sick of coating my kids with sunscreen I bought the SPF rashgaurds. I still have to do their faces and some arms and legs , but it is so much easier to just throw the shirt on and go and not have to worry about their torso which is so vulnerable. (not at parks, but when they play in the water/pool/sprinkler)

RIT also makes a product that you throw in the wash and it makes everything in that load sun protective (I think SPF 30 or so). Supposed to last for several washings. I just washed all our shirts for everyone before we went in a couple loads with this added to each one. I guess I'm not certain if it worked, but no one got burned (and we are all the deathly pale, blond, blue-eyed types!). It only costs $20 for a box of 6 (6 loads worth) so I already bought some for our upcoming August trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter