Sunscreen for kid with eczema

Leader of the Club

My Disney Princess only wears BLACK!
OMG! we are leaving in 4 days and a wake up! (we just booked less than 3 weeks ago, so this is last minute for this plan-o-holic!)

I cannot find the sunscreen I used last year on my fair-skinned eczema kid. Any recommendations?

I use Vanicream on my DD and it has been the only sunblock that does not bother her skin. I order it from drugstore.com, but you can have them order it for you at a pharmacy (CVS will order it for you) - but not sure how long it would take to come in. Drugstore.com might be the best bet for a speedy delivery!

My son breaks out in a rash with anything but a very few sunscreens...
Baby Lizard - it's in a pink bottle, but it's not water proof.
Also Nutrogena sensitive Skin - also not water proof.

Hope that helps - have a great trip!

I don't have any experience with eczema...but...

DD was getting a terrible swollen "sunburn" on her face no matter what I used on her and how often. Come to find out it wasn't a burn at all but a bad reaction to the products.

Now we use Blue Lizard Sensitive and it works great. It is hard to rub in, but we do our best and them wait a bit and it seems to soak in.

Hope that helps.

I second the vanicream. Its amazing. I use the shampoo, soap and sun screen. I just placed an order and it arrived in 3 days. the website is www.psico.com

Good luck and have fun.

jenn

We use Aveeno during the winter months, but vanicream during the summer. DS flares like crazy with anything else.

Blue Lizard Sensitive or Baby. I have eczema and have never has any problems with this, I even use it one my face. It does have zinc in it so you get the white face look, but it fades/blends/vanishes for me in about 20 minutes. I actually like that it does the white so you can see if you missed anywhere.

We use vanicream also. We use the regular cream/lotion on my dd who has eczema and use the sunscreen on her when she is not in the pool. It has none of the additives, etc. of most other lotions. It works great.

My DS(5) has such sensitive skin. I use Neutrogena Sensitive skin on him, although it's not waterproof it seems to work and doesn't cause him to break out.
I also put one of those swim shirts on him for the extra protection.
Out of my 3 DS, he is the only one with the sensitive skin. My other 2 don't even need sunscreen. ( but I make sure they wear it anyway!)

Good luck with finding one that works. Neutrogena was what I found out of about 20 different tries.

Blue Lizard!!!!!!! My 6 yo has eczema and VERY sensitive skin, my other DD's have very sensitive skin..we have been using Blue Lizard for about 3-4 years now and have had no problems at all and NOT one sunburn!! It is SOOOO waterproof..lol
And as a plus it is very safe..doesn't contain any nasty chemicals...

Last summer I tried 5 sunscreens, including Ombrelle and Aveeno, and the one that my son didn't react to was Coppertone spray-on for kids. I guess everyone reacts differently. Someone told me to try spray-on because it's less thick. I also read somewhere that the really high SPFs can also cause a reaction.

Good luck finding one that works for you!

Thanks for the tips. This is my only one with skin issues. He also has allergies and asthma. DARN KID! ;)

So glad to see this thread. My 3 year old has eczema and allergies and I need to get him an eczema friendly lotion.

When I went to Disney for the first time with my then 6 month old daughter, I researched the issue of sunscreen for days -- my daughter has sensitive skin, plus I was nervous about putting sunscreen on my daughter that young.

The key is that you need a barrier, not a chemical sunscreen. We used California Baby and it worked really well.

Re lotion -- Aquaphor has worked best for our daughter's skin. Every night we lather it on before she gets in her pjs. If her skin looks like it is starting to breakout, we start putting it on in the morning AND evening. It has made a huge difference.

You can get both of the above products at Target.

My DD5 has severe eczema. We have to use a daily moisturizing reiment for her. She can not use any of the aerosol spray sunscreens. They burn her like crazy. I read on the back of one of the cans that it contained alcohol. If you have a child with eczema you know that would be a terrible outcome :) We use the Baby Aveeno for her and it doesn't seem to trigger any reaction. Good luck! I know how hard it is! Have a great trip! :goodvibes

My daughter has very sensitive skin and I use California baby sunscreen. It does not have any additives and it is easy on her skin plus you can get it in the supermarket

As someone said, the important thing is to find a physical sublock (like the old zinc oxide) not a chemial sunblock. Clinique makes a great (but expensive) one and as mentioned, Neutrogena makes a very good, and more affordable physical sunblock. It will say "chemical free." Yes, they are hard to rub in, but work very well. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter