SunPass Options for non-Florida Folks

zendisney

<font color=deeppink>The Dis is like potato chips.
I was hoping someone could help us figure this out...
We heard that some tolls on toll roads are no longer taking cash and a tag is required.
Does that affect any of the toll stops from the airport to WDW property.
If so, how do we get a temporary toll tag for our rental car?
We are renting a car at MCO.

I'm not sure if there are tolls, I think it depends on which way you decided to take to WDW. But you can buy a sunpass online before your trip. You can buy a sunpass that can only be used on one car. Or you can buy a reusable one. I also think some rental companies offer them maybe?

https://www.sunpass.com/purchase

This would be better asked in the transportation forum but as a just moved here local, cash works just fine anywhere around disney that might have a toll.

you can definitely use cash going from airport to WDW - it will just take a bit longer as getting through the tolls takes longer

If you are planning on other significant driving though or having additional future trips it can be worth it to pick up one. You can get them at pharmacies like CVS, etc. - I picked up one a few trips ago and then just reuse it

We heard that some tolls on toll roads are no longer taking cash and a tag is required.
Short answer: There are two main routes that people take between the airport and WDW, both of which require tolls. However, both have manned toll booths and take cash so you don't really need a transponder.

Longer answer: If you take the 417 route be sure to get off at exit 6, not exit 3. There is an additional toll at exit 3 that is not manned.
Aside for that, car rental companies are set up with either a transponder in the car or utilize what is known as toll by plate. If you were to go through a transponder toll lane (instead of paying cash) the car rental company will bill you for the toll plus an administrative fee.
Some find that administrative fee to be excessive.

We bought a SunPass transponder when we were down in November as we've started using 417 to get to Disney rather than I-4. We bought ours at the Florida welcome center. It makes going that way so much smoother.

As for the rental car route, I'm not sure but it sounds like just running through the tolls and having the company bill you wouldn't be the best option. Just come prepared with dollar bills and quarters and you'll be fine.

Paying with cash takes longer, as you have to wait in line.

Publix (and I believe 7-11) sells transponders.

You can buy one and use it short term.

also, using the rental car transponder pr plate will work.

They will charge the card you used to rent the car.

Buy your transponder online before you come and if you have a smart phone, download the app on your phone and once you get to the rental car, put the info for your car and you're good to go. I would also put a CC on file for automatic replenish. My parents live in PA and own a sunpass for their rental cars. Just make sure you get the transponder that you can take in and out of the car (not the cheaper sticker one.) And just set a reminder or alarm on your phone to take it out of the car before you return it. As a FL resident, I rely on my sunpass quite often and like other posters said, you won't have to wait in long lines to pay tolls or make sure you have enough cash!

We bought our Sun Pass in a vending machine at a rest area (I-75 Welcome Center maybe?). Saved us $23 driving both ways.

I was hoping someone could help us figure this out...
We are renting a car at MCO.

@zendisney Carla, we have one. i purchased a suction cup tag from Publix, created a SunPass Account, added the app, and then added my rental car to the app. No issues!!

sideBySideMiniPortable.png

Here is where you can get a SunPass:
Sunpass Mobile Link https://www.sunpass.com/mobile/index

Last edited:
I always rent from National and just use the toll by plate. I believe the charge is 3.95 per 24 hour period and has a maximum per rental. Totally worth it for me...I am off Disney property a lot and often taking exits that are not manned. I don't have to worry about having correct change or waiting in toll lines. I could buy a sunpass, but then I have to remember to bring it with me each trip! I like simple...sometimes simple costs me a few extra dollars!

Just be ready to defend yourself a month down the road. Twice now, we have gotten bills in the mail stating we drove through tolls without paying in the sunpass lane. We are anally obsessive to make sure this doesn't happen, taking pictures as we enter the toll, taking a picture of the receipt etc.

This last time, we got charged for unpaid tolls and I kicked up my defense a notch by researching exactly WHERE they stated we committed this 'crime'. Miami. That's right, the exits were all in Miami. We were in Orlando. And yes, they removed the charges. Just a heads up.

By federal law, all these different regional toll collection systems/transponders throughout the country are supposed to become compatible with each other by October of this year (although, would anyone be surprised if that deadline were extended?). So, for example, those of us in the northeast that have EZPass, we will all eventually be able to just take our own transponders from home with us and they will work with the various toll collection systems in Florida (and anywhere else in the country).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter