• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sunglasses

Perditamarie

DIS Veteran
What is your go to sunglasses brand? What characteristics make a pair awesome to you? Polarized or no?

Are name brand, designer glasses so much better than the average pair you would find at Kohl's? Is there a pair than can last to daily wear, including being pushed up to the top of your head?

I have had so many pairs break after 6 weeks or so (after regular wear, usually driving or in the yard), I am leery of spending more for designer "quality" that will lead to more of the same. I think if everything is made in China, perhaps the same issues will occur, regardless of the brand.

I am shopping for the perfect pair, and not sure they exist. Any hints, tips or savings?

I personally have found that the cheap ones are my favorite. I had a pair of $100 sunglasses, and they broke after 3 months. My DH was an Oakley guys for years, and now he has realized too, that it's just smarter for us to get the cheap ones. We are hard on them, lose them, etc. so we go to the mall and do the 2/$25. Then if we break or lose them, no big deal. Of course the pairs I have right now have lasted me 2 years now.

I always buy polarized sunglasses - they are so much better at keeping the glare to a minimum. I live in Florida - bright sunshine all year long - so that is an absolute must for me. Other than that, I don't buy designer glasses - I get them at Walgreens or CVS or Target. I will say that my husband bought some polarized ones at Walmart recently for like $10 and they broke right away, so I do tend to spend a little more, usually around $20-25. I think the ones I'm wearing now I actually bought at Animal Kingdom because I lost mine, and I've been wearing them almost 2 years - unheard of for me!

In honesty, the best pair I have ever had were prescription from $39 dollar glasses. The use to sell one called "drive" which were primarily for driving. They would auto darken in the car plus auto darken in the sun plus the were polarized. Spectacular glasses. So I would definitely get polarized at the very least. They have a permanent yellow tint due to the dye that darkened in the car. Most of the time auto darkening glasses don't darken in the car so these had two different types of dye. The one that darkened in the car had a constant yellow color. Good luck.

I will only buy polarized. I want lenses that don't change the colors I see from the real tones too much either.
I recently bought some sunglasses through Amazon that I like. They were discounted to about $39.00 and are made by Peppers. They've held up really well.

Ray Ban Polarized. I love them they are more expensive but you can get them on Ebay as long as you purchase from a trusted sellar but I would never pay less than 100 because they sell from 175+ and anyone selling them for less might be a knock off. They were recently purchased by Lens Crafters so if you have a broken lens it costs 12 for the lenses (they replace both) and they put them in for free at any Lens Crafter. Same goes for loose bows or any other problem. To me it is my eyes and it is worth paying more for a better lens.

I'm not loyal to a brand, but I do go for Polarized lenses for better protection, especially since I have light colored eyes.

I always fought buying expensive glasses, since I had a tendency to lose/break them. DH, back before we were married, convinced me to try it. He told me that when you spend more on a pair, you are more likely to keep track of them than the cheap-os. He was right. My first was a pair of Spy glasses. I had them for five years (!) before I forgot them at a wedding. (I usually lost my cheap pairs within a month-3 months) My next was a pair of Oakleys that I've had for three. I am not good about putting them in their soft bag, I put them on top of my head constantly, and generally, well, I am not the nicest sunglass owner out there. I have a couple of scratches on the lenses, but nothing major. I do get sunglasses with plastic frames, which probably makes a difference compared to the wire types.

I purchased both of the nicer pairs I've owned at outlets for under 100 bucks a pair. It's been well worth it to me, and one place I will splurge compared to save.

Suncloud makes nice polarized sunglasses that aren't $$$ like the designer brands. You can get them at Eddie Bauer and REI or direct from Suncloud.

I have a pair of Oakley polarized sunglasses. Have had them since October 2013. Keep very good care of them and have no scratches or problems with them. Used to buy Walmart cheapies and they always broke after about 2 month.

I can't even go outside in daylight without sunglasses. I start to squint really bad and end up with a headache. I'm another one who has trouble keeping track of sunglasses but since I always wear them, I try to keep few pairs lying around.

Last year was my 15-year anniversary at work and I was given a catalog of gifts to choose. I decided to splurge and get some Maui Jim sunglasses. I looked them up on some websites and it looks like they sell at Amazon in the $170-$200 range. I am very pleased with them. The glass lenses are so much nicer than the plastic ones in my "cheapos". They are polarized which makes them great for driving. As a paramedic, I do a lot of driving at work and these glasses are great in the rain and the early morning/twilight hours. The biggest downside to them is their price. I got them as a gift, but if I ever break or lose them, I will be hard-pressed to NOT replace them. Because they are so expensive, I am extra careful with them. I bought a neck strap (don't care if it is fashionable or not...I'm not losing my sunglasses!) and I keep them in a hard case (included) when I'm not wearing them.

I buy cheaper ones from Walmart or Target. I had a pair from walmart that lasted 3 years before. I bought another pair from walmart and had them for a year but I ended up losing them somewhere at Sea World. I bought my current pair from Target and so far, so good.

I am hard on sunglasses and if I had an expensive pair then I would be afraid to wear them for fear that something would happen to them or I would lose them! ;)

I love this pair of coach sunglasses. I had them for five years before they went missing. A record for me. I replaced them with a cheapo pair from tj maxx. Didn't love them. So went back and looked again, the original coach sunglasses (well a new pair same style) were there! More money but worth it!

Polarized for sure and usually Maui Jim or Ray Ban. I keep a couple of pairs of cheaper glasses in the car in case I drive off without the others. I just feel the frames are sturdier with the more expensive brands as well as the lens. I have had one pair of Maui Jim that I purchased 10 years ago and I still love them. Not quite as in style as my two other pair, but they have held up beautifully!

I have such a hard time with sunglasses. I have a small head and face. Seriously, my head is smaller than normal people. I have to buy headbands from the children's section and sometimes they're even too big! It can take months to find sunglasses that fit my small head and face. I have a pair of Guess sunglasses that I got at Ross. They were less than $30 and have lasted about 10 years. They're not exactly in style anymore, but they fit and do the job. Last summer, I lost them and had to go sunglasses shopping. DH and I found a pair of Gucci that looked fabulous and actually fit, at an outlet mall. He was willing to buy them, but I couldn't justify $200 for a pair of sunglasses. If I lost or scratched $200 non-prescription sunglasses I'd be beside myself. I ended up with a pair of 9West from Ross for $10. They're fine. A few weeks later I found my Guess ones - yay - now I have 2 pair!

What I really need to spend money on is a pair of prescription sunglasses!

I find that the designer are much better than the cheap ones. They fit so much better, they hold up better and they are less inclined to scratching. Polarized is good as well. BUT no matter what brand I personally won't pay more than $50 for them.

TJ Maxx and Marshall's are your friend when it comes to sunglasses. At TJ Maxx I have gotten RayBan and Coach sunglasses for $24.99. I've gotten other less high end brands for even less (a pair of Ralph Lauren cost me $7.99). Most of what they have is last year's styles but

If you want the more sporty designer brands like Bolle and Revo and Oakley try Sierra Trading Post which is owned by TJX but the prices do go much higher (up to $150) Though this weekend there is a FB coupon for an additional 35% off select styles.

I lose them and break them a LOT so I stick with TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Name brands for a lot less. Doesn't matter how much they cost if you lose them or sit on them or crush them in a purse!!! I get ones with UV protection, I just bought a few pairs (as did DD) for our June trip, they were $9.99 a pair.

I have such a hard time with sunglasses. I have a small head and face. Seriously, my head is smaller than normal people. I have to buy headbands from the children's section and sometimes they're even too big! It can take months to find sunglasses that fit my small head and face. I have a pair of Guess sunglasses that I got at Ross. They were less than $30 and have lasted about 10 years. They're not exactly in style anymore, but they fit and do the job. Last summer, I lost them and had to go sunglasses shopping. DH and I found a pair of Gucci that looked fabulous and actually fit, at an outlet mall. He was willing to buy them, but I couldn't justify $200 for a pair of sunglasses. If I lost or scratched $200 non-prescription sunglasses I'd be beside myself. I ended up with a pair of 9West from Ross for $10. They're fine. A few weeks later I found my Guess ones - yay - now I have 2 pair!

What I really need to spend money on is a pair of prescription sunglasses!

Zenni Optical is having a buy 2 get 1 free special this weekend. Sunglasses are included but you have to pay for the tinting and lens upgrades. Getting just tint and no upgrades such as anti glare or extra thin lenses it only cost me $5 for my pair of Rx sunglasses.

Zenni Optical is having a buy 2 get 1 free special this weekend. Sunglasses are included but you have to pay for the tinting and lens upgrades. Getting just tint and no upgrades such as anti glare or extra thin lenses it only cost me $5 for my pair of Rx sunglasses.

Thanks :goodvibes But aren't they just online? I couldn't possibly buy glasses without trying them on. When I bought my current glasses I almost got children's frames because the arms usually go so far behind my ears that they're useless. I got my last pair at Target Optical and they were a great deal - 40% off and AAA discount and my Red Card discount. And they fixed the arms so they actually fit behind my ears. Next time they have a sale I might get sunglasses, but I wear progressives, so they're very expensive (and I'm very blind :()

Sierra Trading Post just sent an email (deal flyer) with 50% off plus free shipping on $50 order on 'select merchandize'. I saw a pair of Oakley, Costa, Bolle, Serengeti - 57 different style closeouts discounted 1/2 off. Not sure if this is just through the email or not. The 50% is until midnite tonight.

We have had great luck with Revo and Oakley. They take a beating (I wear them daily, do push them up on my head, have jogged in them and knocked them off on the ground, etc.) Ours are four years old and still going strong.
DD has prescription sunglasses from our eye doctor, not sure of the brand. These also have held up very well and she wears them daily and to run. No problems. They are 2yo.
Polarized and UVA/UVB protection is a necessity. The lens color depends on what you are using them for and personal preference. I've always liked the brown/amber lenses for clarity.

I did cheap sunglasses for decades and none lasted more than a year. Some didn't last weeks. I'm glad we finally invested in better quality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter