Sun, Shopping, Sand, Surf, Sweat & Shamu: A Splashin Summertime Sabbatical at SVR!

Such a beautiful park. And it looks like everyone thoroughly enjoyed the Dolphin encounters!! Poor sweetie thinking that she had done something wrong!!
I can hardly wait to see the ending to the mix up! "Here Sweetie, on behalf of Discovery Cove please accept our sincerest apologies.. we're giving you this dolphin!":rotfl2:

Ok.. not likely.:lmao:

I'm all in suspense now and off to bed - I'll have to wait until after work now :bitelip:

Tell me there is a happy ending :rotfl:

At first, I had visions of Steve wrestling with this man from England, in the water, over the buoy. That would have made for some interesting pictures.

I commend you on your composure. Most people would have made a scene. I hope you were rewarded for the way you handled it.

Sorry your dolphin buoy treat went so wrong. It was great when we did it. My DD was the smallest of our group. When they asked for strongest, and DD was picked, big smile. Best part, the old mamma dolphin thought the buoy was hers to play with and had a real tug of war with DD until the dolphin finally let go. We all had a good laugh as DD was clearly loosing the war.

That sounds so awesome!! I hope you bought the video!!

a cliff hanger....or rather a dolphin hangerpopcorn::

I won't leave you hanging for too long ;).

I can hardly wait to see the ending to the mix up! "Here Sweetie, on behalf of Discovery Cove please accept our sincerest apologies.. we're giving you this dolphin!":rotfl2:

Ok.. not likely.:lmao:

:rotfl2: She would have taken it if offered. I guarantee it! :rotfl:

Noooo not a cliff hanger! :laughing:

:goodvibes More updates tomorrow...I promise!

I'm all in suspense now and off to bed - I'll have to wait until after work now :bitelip:

Tell me there is a happy ending :rotfl:

Oh yes, a very happy ending :) . The DC staff are awesome folks!

At first, I had visions of Steve wrestling with this man from England, in the water, over the buoy. That would have made for some interesting pictures.

I just read that to Steve and he laughed right out loud!! :rotfl: What a visual!!

I commend you on your composure. Most people would have made a scene. I hope you were rewarded for the way you handled it.

You know, mistakes happen. Everyone sincerely felt badly, and the other family had no idea that the buoy delivery was a mistake. Our only request was that they didn't take away the buoy from that fellow (which they initially said they were going to), because that would have just tainted their visit in such a negative way. In the grand scheme of our vacation, this was just a small blip. We certainly didn't expect anything extra as a result of the mistake, that's just not our nature. If they had just sent us to Guest Services to pick up one of the souvenir buoys, we would have been happy!

The head trainer and the photography manager were really great people. Very sincere, very genuine, and very intent on making up for the dolphin buoy ooops, despite our assurances that nothing beyond a buoy for Sweetie to take home was necessary. I honestly think they were just so happy that we weren’t pitching a fit.

The head trainer said that to help convey their apologies, they would be bringing our family back into the water for a second, extended, private meet and greet with another one of their dolphins :banana::banana::banana::banana:. It would be just us and the training staff, no other family, photographed and videoed so our second bonus interaction would be added to our souvenir CD and DVD. Obviously the delivery of a buoy would no longer be a surprise, but it would be done at this second session so Sweetie could have the experience (and have the buoy to take home with her as a souvenir of our day). We were soooo excited! :cool1:

They asked if we had a preference of time for the second dolphin session, and I told them that as long as we could get an opportunity to grab some lunch first (my trio was getting hungry) then we were happy to go with whatever time worked best for them. They decided on 1:45, and asked us to meet them on the beach in front of the dolphin pool at the specified time.

We set off from there and headed directly to the Laguna Grill. Despite it being prime meal time, there were lots of available seats and the buffet lines were minimal. Between the 4 of us, we sampled many of the entree selections, and weren’t disappointed by any of them. Once again, the chicken tenders and chocolate cake were family favourites, but the Asian stir-fry chicken, macaroni and cheese, and grilled hamburgers also received a thumbs up from my crew. All in all, we definitely enjoyed lunch far more than the breakfast offerings ::yes::.

While we were enjoying our noon meal, I had the opportunity to fill Sweetie and Jake in on the details of my chat with the head trainer and photography manager, and bring them all up to speed. Steve had been there for at least part of the discussions, so he was much more “in the know” than they were. After finishing off our dessert, we still had a little bit of time before we had to report to our established meeting place on the beach, so we opted to head over to the Wind Away River and go for a tour (or two!) while we waited.

Hands down, the river is one of my favourite places in the whole park :lovestruc. It’s so lush and peaceful and pretty.....I could come to Discovery Cove and spend the whole day just going around and around and around the long loop, and never be bored. I was so grateful that our cabana was so close to one of the river entrances!

We also hopped over to visit the Asian otters in the FreshWater Oasis. All five of them were busy ripping the vegetation in their little enclosure to smithereens, working tirelessly and frolicking about as only siblings do :rotfl2:. They are adorable little creatures, and always make me smile as I watch them play. We tried getting a glimpse of the marmosets that make their home on the little island in that area of the park, but most had decided on an afternoon siesta and could only be found huddled in their little houses.

With time ticking away, we met up with the kiddos at the cabana, grabbed some drinks from the fridge and some warm cinnamon pretzels from the snack stand, and headed back to the beach for our next dolphin date.

Within a couple of minutes of our arrival at our meeting place, the head trainer came around the corner, all smiles and full of excitement about our bonus dolphin meet-and-greet. She wasted no time in getting us back in the water, and we were joined in short order by two other DC trainers along with a photographer and videographer. All of the staff were excited about us meeting “their most famous dolphin” (he was one of the stars of the movie Jaws 3), their largest dolphin, and one of their oldest residents: Capricorn.

Rushing over to Sweetie with her buoy firmly clenched in his mouth (I won’t say teeth….this poor fella only has 6 teeth left!) he was quite a sight. In comparison to the much smaller females we met that morning, Marea and Stella, Capricorn was HUGE, both in length and weight. Moving at super-speed across the dolphin pond, I think poor Sweetie thought that he’d run her over :rotfl: ... the look on her face was priceless as he made a beeline in her direction. But she need not have worried, those dolphins can stop on a dime….even the big guys like Capricorn! And he very gently and tenderly handed over her long-awaited souvenir:

Following the buoy hand-off, we had the opportunity to spend a wonderful, extended time just lovin’ him up. The trainers (all three of them) were so awesome, enthusiastically filling us in on all sorts of interesting little facts about Capricorn (he is their dominant male, King of the Discovery Cove castle, so to speak) as well as about life with the dolphins in general. Let’s just say that I think those folks have the absolute best job on the planet ::yes::. Capricorn himself was a hoot, soaking up every second of our rapt attention and showing us all the things he enjoys most……in particular, a tummy rub :thumbsup2. That big guy would flip himself right over and just run himself, upside down in the water, back and forth and back and forth for our hands to rub and tickle his belly. He "sang" to us, waved to us, and happily showed us his big, toothless smile. The trainers clearly had a special fondness for this charming fellow, and were as excited to have him show us his unique abilities as we were to witness it. It was so unrushed and spontaneous and relaxing, and such a wonderful opportunity to have all to ourselves. We felt like VIP’s, with all the one-on-one attention and focus from both the dolphin and the staff :goodvibes.

We were encouraged to take as much time as we wanted with Capricorn, which was an offer we couldn’t refuse. While trying to not take advantage of the staff’s good graces, we sure didn’t rush things at all, and must have spent about a half hour in Capricorn’s company before wrapping it up. The photographers captured a few more family shots, then we were on our way to enjoy the rest of the amenities of the park.

Heading back to the cabana, we stopped for a few moments to browse at the gift shop:

….and then enjoyed a few more vittles from the Laguna Grill. Stopping back to the cabana, we opted for a short break before donning our masks and snorkels. It was time to do some swimming in the Grand Reef! :fish:

We had worried about the typical August afternoon thunderstorms raining on our parade, but the skies were still sparkling with sunshine, the breezes were still blowing, and we marvelled for the millionth time how the weather couldn’t have been any more perfect! Fingers crossed it would hold out for the rest of the afternoon :beach:

That was so nice of DC to offer the personal time with the dolphin. We only have interacted with females, but the one we had at Christmas was the old mamma, but I can't remember her name, and she was really big too. Those dolphins are amazing animals. My DD was not scared the whole time. She's still fond of all sea life.

Great pictures. Thanks.

It really does feel like Monday ---:)

I had a feeling you were getting a redo of some sort.....that's a really cool one!

I really think I want to go to DC now....I looked up the prices and :faint: Now if I could snag another cheapo villa rental that might do the trick. Right now I'm only thinking as far ahead as March. Next summer is too far off for me.

Oh wow, what a story. I didn't know they did the buoy thing (which is a pretty cool add-on!)! And I can completely imagine that Sweetie would have a reaction to hearing herself named by the trainer in such a concerned voice. So glad that it turned around and you guys got such a fantastic make-up for what really was a big goof!

What a BIG dolphin!

We only have interacted with females, but the one we had at Christmas was the old mamma, but I can't remember her name, and she was really big too.

Would it be Cindy? I hear she's still there and going strong....at 40+ years old!

We swam with Astra and Rascal on our first visit, and then Marea, Stella and Capricorn on this trip. A total of 5 different dolphins so far!

I had a feeling you were getting a redo of some sort.....that's a really cool one!

I really think I want to go to DC now....I looked up the prices and :faint: Now if I could snag another cheapo villa rental that might do the trick. Right now I'm only thinking as far ahead as March. Next summer is too far off for me.

The prices aren't bad if you utilize the Seaworld and Aquatica admission to the fullest, but they are tough to swallow for a one-day-only visit. Its an awesome experience, though, and something everyone should do at least once while in Orlando!!

Oh wow, what a story. I didn't know they did the buoy thing (which is a pretty cool add-on!)! And I can completely imagine that Sweetie would have a reaction to hearing herself named by the trainer in such a concerned voice. So glad that it turned around and you guys got such a fantastic make-up for what really was a big goof!

What a BIG dolphin!

He WAS huge! I think they said 700 pounds :scared1: . I can only imagine what he eats in a day :rotfl: .

Great news and to have 2 dolphin interactions must have been a bonus :thumbsup2

It was awesome! :goodvibes So much fun!

With masks and snorkels in hand (or rather, on head) we made our way to the far end of the park to the Grand Reef. Our day was slipping by quickly, and we wanted to be sure we had plenty of time for swimming with the fishes!

Despite having been to DC before, the sensation of having the rays swim past you and brush your legs never fails to unnerve me each time I enter the reef. It never lasts very long, but it’s definitely there…..not a bad feeling, really, but just one so different that it takes a bit to get used to. For the first few moments, I usually just stand in knee-deep water and watch those magnificent rays swim around, some so huge they rival the size of my kitchen tabletop (and others just teeny tiny, the babies among the giants).

Once I find my comfort zone, then I can get the mask and snorkel in place and truly enjoy the incredible features of this area of the park. From the amazing coral formations:

….to the schools of colourful fish…….

…..there’s just so much to look at. And it’s so beautiful, it’s almost humbling.

Sweetie, in particular, was completely awe-struck. This was definitely something very different from anything she had ever experienced before.

After swimming in the reef for quite some time and comparing the various species of fish that we individually spotted, we continued our exploration of the reef at the shark section at the extreme far end of the exhibit. For some reason, we had never made it to this part of the park on either of our two previous visits….and with sharks as a family favourite fish, we were eager to see Discovery Cove’s display.

As menacing as they are, they are also quite captivating creatures. The shark section had a multitude of residents of various sizes and species, and it was very cool to watch them from the underwater glass wall, giving the sensation that you were swimming right alongside them. Let me tell you, though…..we were grateful for that wall! ::yes::

Following our extended time in the reef, we were conscious that our day was rapidly growing to a close. We would squeeze out every last moment of awesomeness the park had to offer, though. With a close time of 5:30 pm, we would be the last ones out of the water. Time for another round or two in the lazy river! :hyper:

The remainder of the day was spent swimming, snacking and relaxing…..in that order. I zipped over to Adventure Photo at one point to collect our photo package components, but that was the only “dry” time I had. Adventure Photo had difficulty locating our complimentary 6 x 8 family photo (the one they take as you enter the park upon arrival), so our cabana attendant graciously offered to go track it down on our behalf. It was waiting on our cabana table once the lifeguards shooed us out of the lazy river when the park officially closed down.

Our cabana girl dropped by to see if there was anything else she could do for us, but we were all good. She encouraged us to take whatever time we needed to pack up before leaving, that she was in no rush so neither should we be. We were glad to be moving at such a relaxed pace at this point in the day, because all that sun and all that water (combined with all the excitement and all the food!) had completely tuckered us out.

Dragging our aching muscles back to the van (not too many folks were left in the parking lot at that point…..we were some of the last to leave!), then to the villa, we dried, dressed and dropped for a good couple of hours. We all found a place to stretch out and just watched TV or surfed the net until we managed to work up the energy to move. Once darkness fell, Steve and I went across the street and grabbed 3 Cici’s specialty pizzas for take-out, as no one felt like going out for any kind of a substantial dinner after the indulgences of Discovery Cove. We all had a piece here and a piece there throughout the balance of the evening, but more than half of them were returned to the fridge destined for breakfasts later that week.

We enjoyed a short swim in the Fountains pool before calling it a relatively early night. Sleep would come easy to all of us after such a fantastic but busy Monday. Tomorrow was wisely scheduled as another “off” day, so we could sleep in and recuperate nicely before setting out on any activities that struck our fancy.

And Mother Nature was calling for yet another day of sunshine and heat. Imagine that!

Yes, I think her name was Cindy. She was a great dolphin, always looked like she was having fun. They said we were lucky, as she didn't want to interact with all the groups assigned to her that day.

We love to snorkel. We ended our day at the Reef. They were also nice, and didn't shoo us from our cabana. We also were told to take all the snacks in the cabana, so we had treats to eat for the next couple of days and took some home too.

Loving your photos. You certainly got good value out those dolphins.

We tried getting a glimpse of the marmosets that make their home on the little island in that area of the park, but most had decided on an afternoon siesta and could only be found huddled in their little houses.

With time ticking away, we met up with the kiddos at the cabana, grabbed some drinks from the fridge and some warm cinnamon pretzels from the snack stand, and headed back to the beach for our next dolphin date.

Well that's what you did wrong. You forgot to get the pretzels before heading out to see the marmosets. If you had done things in the right order they would have been leaping off that Island!

Stopping back to the cabana, we opted for a short break before donning our masks and snorkels. It was time to do some swimming in the Grand Reef! :fish:
My daughter loved snorkelling in the Grand Reef except for the fact she didn't see the glass wall :headache: Ouch!

I agree it is quite expensive. But, I ended up buying a season long pass for Aquatica. It was $96.00 and gets me year long admission to Aquatica and free parking. You also get discounts on admissions as well as on Cabanas. They also do pass member promotions as well. Right now I get to bring a friend for free. Hopefully my wife will be my friend:rotfl: They also have a promotion for everyone with admissions for $20.00

Anyway the moral of the story is that this pass gets you admission to Discovery Cove for 169 per person for the dolphin swim and 99 without. This is quite a savings for a family of five. You don't get into SeaWorld or Aquatica for the 14 days but that wasn't important to us as we didn't plan on visiting SeaWorld. When you factor in the fact that food, snacks and drinks are included it seemed like a decent value.

After seeing Gina's report on it I have zero regrets. It looks awesome!!!

That was great of Discovery Cove to do all that. I can tell you guys really appreciated it and I am sure they appreciated that you guys didn't flip out on them.

I find in todays day and age customer service isn't what it once was but these guys handled it well.

Wow, just fantastic!

The pictures are amazing. I can't imagine how awesome it was in real life!

Its my favourite park in Orlando, hands down :thumbsup2 . Just as incredible in person as the pictures suggest....perhaps even nicer! ::yes::

Yes, I think her name was Cindy. She was a great dolphin, always looked like she was having fun. They said we were lucky, as she didn't want to interact with all the groups assigned to her that day.

We love to snorkel. We ended our day at the Reef. They were also nice, and didn't shoo us from our cabana. We also were told to take all the snacks in the cabana, so we had treats to eat for the next couple of days and took some home too.

We loved having the cabana again. Both times before our visits I have thought to myself, oh, what an excessive splurge! And afterward.....oh, it was soooo worth it!

lol, some of the dolphins were guest-shy on our day as well. A couple of them had decided they just wanted to play with their toys, and they could be seen tossing bright orange and red buoys in the air near the back of the dolphin pool. The trainers were having a good laugh .... as were we!! :)

Loving your photos. You certainly got good value out those dolphins.

Well that's what you did wrong. You forgot to get the pretzels before heading out to see the marmosets. If you had done things in the right order they would have been leaping off that Island!

My daughter loved snorkelling in the Grand Reef except for the fact she didn't see the glass wall :headache: Ouch!

The marmosets will eat the pretzels??? Really???? Man, I wish I had known that before we went! I will have to file away that little tidbit for next time ::yes:: . I never even thought to entice them out with food! :headache:

I agree it is quite expensive. But, I ended up buying a season long pass for Aquatica. It was $96.00 and gets me year long admission to Aquatica and free parking. You also get discounts on admissions as well as on Cabanas. They also do pass member promotions as well. Right now I get to bring a friend for free. Hopefully my wife will be my friend:rotfl: They also have a promotion for everyone with admissions for $20.00

Anyway the moral of the story is that this pass gets you admission to Discovery Cove for 169 per person for the dolphin swim and 99 without. This is quite a savings for a family of five. You don't get into SeaWorld or Aquatica for the 14 days but that wasn't important to us as we didn't plan on visiting SeaWorld. When you factor in the fact that food, snacks and drinks are included it seemed like a decent value.

After seeing Gina's report on it I have zero regrets. It looks awesome!!!

For our second visit, in August 2012, we did the exact same thing as you.....one Aquatica AP to get the DC discount, then did the day resort (no dolphin swim) at Discovery Cove for an unbelievable $69 pp (yep, $69!) plus a day at Aquatica with the companion discount for the rest of us. Fantastic deal :thumbsup2 .

Your trip is roaring up so quickly!!! :banana:

Gina, I stumbled on this site and your trip reports and have enjoyed them very much. In fact, I joined the board (my first ever) to respond and maybe ask for future SW planning advice. I am a single dad with a 11 year old son and 7 year old daughter. We live in Jacksonville, Florida, so just up the road from Disney. (You all should add a St. Augustine day on one of your future trips.) I was planning a one-day SW trip the week before Christmas this year, as part of a quick Orlando get-away, but after reading your reports I may defer to Spring or early Summer and do the whole DC/SW/Aquatica deal! I love to plan and do whatever I can to get deals and avoid crowds. We generally just go to Orlando for 2-3 nights at a time, and we usually stay at Marriott properties (Harbour Lake, Residence Inn, Renaissance). I will stay in touch and maybe ask advice as I decide what I am going to do for the next trip. Thanks again for your nice trip reports. I know your family must really appreciate your planning and documenting these vacations!

Loved reading all about the rest of your DC day and how they accommodated you for the mistake. It seems the mistake was a blessing after all!! What a beautiful park. I showed dd and she's declared it's an absolute must do on the trip after this one. I would definitely wait until a trip where were guaranteed warm weather as I am just not comfortable spending that kind of money in December to maybe have a freezing cold day. But it gives us another adventure to look forward to, and I know the boys in our family would be over the moon about Aquatica!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter